FLACs from Audio CDs - VLC Media Player

BestPCBuilder2017
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
Just now, NCIX Lampy said:

Okay, but is that normal for that to happen? Thank you for responding to the original post involving VLC. 

For whatever reason, VLC doesn't really care to add extensions to whatever it spits out. So concerning VLC, yes it's normal.

I am extremely surprised they don't have that for Windows 8.1. I believe they could have just added that feature in easily, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't see how I could be. 

2 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I am extremely surprised they don't have that for Windows 8.1. I believe they could have just added that feature in easily, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't see how I could be. 

Probably the same reason that Microsoft took an eternity to support USB audio class 2 or any of the other lame stuff they pull.

6 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

Windows is always a couple of generations behind on file support. 

FLAC files weren't even recognized as audio files by Windows untill Windows 10.  

7 minutes ago, SSL said:

Bingo. My ideal media player directly edits the metadata and doesn't store things in a secret filesystem (iTunes) or supply fake metadata (WMP with WAV) or do other proprietary nonsense. Basically, the filesystem is the library and the player is just an interface on top of it. Which is exactly what Foobar accomplishes.

Same reason why I use Foobar2000. 

Does everything I want it to and does it well.

Also. @NCIX Lampy Is Foobar2000 off limits as a ripping software? All you need is Foobar2000 and the FLAC codec

While the learning curve is steep, Foobar is probably the best at naming and arranging files while ripping them. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

3 hours ago, Volbet said:

Windows is always a couple of generations behind on file support. 

FLAC files weren't even recognized as audio files by Windows untill Windows 10.  

Same reason why I use Foobar2000. 

Does everything I want it to and does it well.

Also. @NCIX Lampy Is Foobar2000 off limits as a ripping software? All you need is the FLAC codec

While the learning curve is steep, Foobar is probably the best at naming and arranging files while ripping them. 

I tried the FLAC codec thing and didn't get a follow up for it. I don't see a reason to really switch to Foobar, WMP and VLC seem to work okay. I really don't see a reason to switch. I haven't had issues with the rips and file names etc being off or blank or whatever as well. I appreciate the alternative solution though, the more options the better I guess. It seems to be a high favored option as well. I will keep it in mind for ripping options if all others fail. 

57 minutes ago, NCIX Lampy said:

I tried the FLAC codec thing and didn't get a follow up for it. I don't see a reason to really switch to Foobar, WMP and VLC seem to work okay. I really don't see a reason to switch. I haven't had issues with the rips and file names etc being off or blank or whatever as well. I appreciate the alternative solution though, the more options the better I guess. It seems to be a high favored option as well. I will keep it in mind for ripping options if all others fail. 

The reasoning is that you would have a one stop shop for ripping, metadata, and playback. But do whatever works.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

The reasoning is that you would have a one stop shop for ripping, metadata, and playback. But do whatever works.

Yeah, my metadata is all messed up on my rips with wmp. I keep forgetting to fix it. It doesn't know any of the artisits (but it does, groove music player sorts it right into right album and artist, but album and artist say unknown in metadata)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I had to check for myself just to be sure. I just couldn't believe Windows 8.1 WMP doesn't support FLAC while Windows 10 WMP does, but sure enough after installing Windows 10 and checking for myself, as @Volbet said, it is true. I'm pretty sure they would be able to add that functionality with an update for Windows 8.1, I guess they just want more people moving over to Windows 10 for the "benefits" or something. Well, if I ever want to use WMP to get FLACs from rips, now I know what to do! Again, thank you Volbet for the post.