Wanting to lower gpu clock to lower temps.

Go to solution Solved by kajar9,

Temperatures you should somewhat worry about

83C' is a point where GPU boost won't give anything anymore and starts to slowly throttle as you go up (exponentially).

90C' is a point where the GPU hits it's such throttling you are better with IGPU.

95C' the computer shuts down. (although that is a fail-safe, it doesn't mean you just borked your GPU)

Temperatures that are perfectly fine

50-60-70-75C' is perfectly fine and dandy under any load. Play with fan curves within that range to get desired cooling and noise ratio.

80C' is fine when running 100% (synthetic benchmarks).

5-15C' above ambient when idle.

So my evga 1070 sc is rated at 1784 mhz I believe and runs at 1961mhz under load right now on GTA V. My temps are high 60s but I don't really need all that power/heat from the card atm. In fact, for whatever reason, it was running fine at high 50s/~1600mhz. I'd prefer this to the former and just need to know how to change this setting in evga precision without changing my fan curve.

1 minute ago, trevor68 said:

So my evga 1070 sc is rated at 1784 mhz I believe and runs at 1961mhz under load right now on GTA V. My temps are high 60s but I don't really need all that power/heat from the card atm. In fact, for whatever reason, it was running fine at high 50s/~1600mhz. I'd prefer this to the former and just need to know how to change this setting in evga precision without changing my fan curve.

60-70 is very good under load

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

:^) my 1070 does 63c under load at ~45% fanspeed

but it only turbos upto 1950mhz or so.. (gpuboost 3.0 = overclocking basically)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Thanks. One other Q, does it OC to 1961 mhz because GTA needs it to to run my settings, or just because it can comfortably?

16 minutes ago, trevor68 said:

Thanks. One other Q, does it OC to 1961 mhz because GTA needs it to to run my settings, or just because it can comfortably?

Because it can comfortably.

Temperatures you should somewhat worry about

83C' is a point where GPU boost won't give anything anymore and starts to slowly throttle as you go up (exponentially).

90C' is a point where the GPU hits it's such throttling you are better with IGPU.

95C' the computer shuts down. (although that is a fail-safe, it doesn't mean you just borked your GPU)

Temperatures that are perfectly fine

50-60-70-75C' is perfectly fine and dandy under any load. Play with fan curves within that range to get desired cooling and noise ratio.

80C' is fine when running 100% (synthetic benchmarks).

5-15C' above ambient when idle.