Cold boot issues with 're-build,' any pointers appreciated!

Hi all

I did a rebuild today with the AMD 1800X and Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 MB. 

The build is running perfectly, aside from one glaring issue. 

On a cold boot, the PC seems to boot cycle three times (always 3, the fans rev to their max for 2s or so). It then boots as if nothing was wrong. Restarts do not exhibit the same behaviour. 

One extremely odd thing I noticed (and what I think is a clue) is that on flashing the BIOS to the latest version (F5), on restart the PC appeared to 'flash itself back' to F3. I have never seen that behaviour in my life! 

Entering the BIOS also intermittently states 'BIOS values have been reset,.' This is despite my not touching the CLR CMOS jumper/button, or anything to do with them. 

The PC is running a fresh install of W10, the latest BIOS, up to date drivers (system and GPU), and pretty much anything else I can think of. If anybody has seen this before, and knows what to do, I would be hugely appreciative.

Best 

RafflesTheThief

Did you clean install windows?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

49 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did you clean install windows?

Yes, if by that you mean reset my PC? I kept some old stuff (the, use this if you're keeping the PC option). Think that may be an issue? 

4 minutes ago, RafflesTheThief said:

Yes, if by that you mean reset my PC? I kept some old stuff (the, use this if you're keeping the PC option). Think that may be an issue? 

Yeah, you need to clean install.

Any files you want to keep should be moved to a temporary place like another drive, USB drives, google drive, etc.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

When you get to this step, you delete everything until only "unallocated space" is left:

screenshot.12

After clean installing you can move your files back.

Programs/games need to be reinstalled.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yeah, you need to clean install.

Any files you want to keep should be moved to a temporary place like another drive, USB drives, google drive, etc.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

When you get to this step, you delete everything until only "unallocated space" is left:

screenshot.12

After clean installing you can move your files back.

Programs/games need to be reinstalled.

Ah I see, so a proper reinstall then? 

Out of interest, a reset this PC option (but done properly, i.e. keeping absolutely nothing) done from within Windows... would that have the same effect? 

Left my W10 boot USB at home a fair way away, don't want to have to buy another!

5 minutes ago, RafflesTheThief said:

Ah I see, so a proper reinstall then? 

Out of interest, a reset this PC option (but done properly, i.e. keeping absolutely nothing) done from within Windows... would that have the same effect? 

Left my W10 boot USB at home a fair way away, don't want to have to buy another!

No, a reset doesn't delete all the partitions and completely rebuild them. Clean install is best.

You don't need to buy a new W10 USB, just get any random 4GB+ USB drive and make your own: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

"Download tool now"

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, a reset doesn't delete all the partitions and completely rebuild them. Clean install is best.

You don't need to buy a new W10 USB, just get any random 4GB+ USB drive and make your own: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

"Download tool now"

Oh no sorry, that I know. I just wanted to avoid having to buy another USB again! I'm a tightwad in eveything but PCs it would seem...

Ok, much appreciated. I'll do that rather than keep trying to mess around.