Speaker upgrade path

So I have had my Logitech Z-2300s and they have served me well, and they have aged very well. Though right now I am trying to find the next step up from these. As I have noticed over time that, though great, the Z-2300s aren't strong in some situations. For instance, the thundering soundtracks of LOTR movies at higher volumes the subwoofer just can't keep up with, or the mid ranges such as an electric guitar solo or some kind of very mid range heavy sound don't sound natural to the ear (to clarify, instead of all the parts of the song will instead of sounding very separated, as in you can pick out all the different parts, it kind of all mushes together and just can't keep up). The only problem with my situation is that the way that my desk is setup I don't have room for studio monitors. As nice as they would be, you can see that I just don't have the room for such things and can only really fit a 2.1 system. 58fc2410d15de_IMG_20170422_2326341.thumb.jpg.b10989105d3930ae6d683310f0a4cec5.jpg

(pardon the mess, I use my desk for a variety of tasks so I end up with a consistently messy desk)

So what I am looking for is a suitable upgrade from my current audio situation when it comes to my speakers.

Spoiler

Primary System: Big Rave
CPU: R7 2700x
Cooler: EK-AIO Basic 360
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 2400 CL14 (OC @2733Mhz)

Mobo: Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
GPU-1: Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1070 8G Gaming

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Windows 10 Boot Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Ubuntu 20.04 Boot Disk: Samsung 970 EVO plus 500GB

Fans: Corsair LL120 RGB (x6)
PSU: EVGA BQ 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified

Secondary System: Razer Blade 15 (RTX)
CPU: i7-9750H

RAM: 16GB (Dual Channel, 2667Mhz)
GPU: RTX 2070 Max-Q
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

Display: 15.6 inch IPS - 240Hz

RGB: Glorious

I replaced my monitors with Edifier R1280T to save some space, they're also a lot less fatiguing to listen to compared to some monitors, nice paper cones little color to the sound which is nice.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

5 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I replaced my monitors with Edifier R1280T to save some space, they're also a lot less fatiguing to listen to compared to some monitors, nice paper cones little color to the sound which is nice.

Thank you for the recommendation but as you can see I am really cramped when it comes to space unless I start modding my desk and extending (no way I would put my PC on some janky thing I made though). So I guess I am looking for something along the lines of my Logitech just a step up.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Diecreepers56 said:

Thank you for the recommendation but as you can see I am really cramped when it comes to space unless I start modding my desk and extending (no way I would put my PC on some janky thing I made though). So I guess I am looking for something along the lines of my Logitech just a step up.

You're not going to find anything with the same footprint and even equivalent sound quality, let alone better. Your only option is to rearrange your setup so that you can fit larger speakers around your monitors, whether that is on the desk, stands behind the desk, or brackets on the wall/ceiling.

Well then, since it seems that desk is the first thing that needs to be updated before that, could any of you give any recommendations for a larger desk? I rather like the one I have as I have two UPS' and two towers at the same desk so with that in mind, any recommendations?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Diecreepers56 said:

Well then, since it seems that desk is the first thing that needs to be updated before that, could any of you give any recommendations for a larger desk? I rather like the one I have as I have two UPS' and two towers at the same desk so with that in mind, any recommendations?

I use the venerable Adils / Linnmon combo from Ikea. No Frills, looks sharp.

6 minutes ago, schwarzerrogen said:

I use the venerable Adils / Linnmon combo from Ikea. No Frills, looks sharp.

See I would go with something like that but as I have two systems with two UPS' I would either need something very wide or start mounting cases and ups' to the bottom of a desk =P

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Diecreepers56 said:

Lumber yard, circular saw and pocket hole jig, some wood glue and a little polyurethane clear coat. Measure twice cut once :) alternatively measure once, then cut again and rearrange everything to be smaller.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

A good small speaker would be the modhouseaudio cube speakers, you can buy the speakers alone for 119$ or with an amp for 149$. They aren't the most detailed and the audio experience would improve a lot if you get a decent subwoofer at some point

http://www.modhouseaudio.com/mini-cubes/mini-cubes

Another great option, but also more expensive and bigger would be the JBL LSR 305, they are powered speakers so no need for an amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.