GTA V stuttering after GPU upgrade

JJVGaming
Go to solution Solved by JJVGaming,

After installing a second 8gb of ram now I can actually play this game. What was happening was that 20% of the memory was going to other processes while gaming, and GTA 5 needs more than 80% of 8gb of ram. Now with 16gb I can run the game so much smooter :)

I recently bought a GTX 1060 to replace my old 750 ti, and stuttering has been a huge issue this whole week. Ive tried everything from doing clean installs, page filing, changing nvidia control panel settings, and the game just starts to stutter after only a few minutes. Mine you I never really had stuttering with my 750 ti. What gets me though is that the GPU utilization indicated by both precision x and cpuid show below 80%! Just a brief summary of my specs:

EVGA gtx 1060 ssc

i5 4590 

8gb 1600mhz

Also, I believe this is not a problem with my GPU, because I can run BF4 at ultra settings with 125% scaling at 90 FPS, never going below 60 fps.

Just now, JJVGaming said:

I recently bought a GTX 1060 to replace my old 750 ti, and stuttering has been a huge issue this whole week. Ive tried everything from doing clean installs, page filing, changing nvidia control panel settings, and the game just starts to stutter after only a few minutes. Mine you I never really had stuttering with my 750 ti. What gets me though is that the GPU utilization indicated by both precision x and cpuid show below 80%! Just a brief summary of my specs:

EVGA gtx 1060 ssc

i5 4590 

8gb 1600mhz

Also, I believe this is not a problem with my GPU, because I can run BF4 at ultra settings with 125% scaling at 90 FPS, never going below 60 fps.

i updated gta v the other week after months of not playing and it seems like an update theyve done has messed the game up, i have a gtx 1080 and ive noticed a big drop in fps.

This is going to be painful, but you'll have to delete the game and all of the files on your drives associated with GTAV.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Even if you do a "clean install" from nvidia, it doesnt get rid of everything. Go download DDU, Link Here and follow the instructions closely. Then go reinstall the nvidia drivers and test. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 4/22/2017 at 3:45 PM, MrJarhead said:

i updated gta v the other week after months of not playing and it seems like an update theyve done has messed the game up, i have a gtx 1080 and ive noticed a big drop in fps.

That's what im hoping and I dont have to do any serious upgrade. I can run forza horizon 3 50 fps most of the time and that game is known for stuttering issues 

On 4/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, legacy99 said:

Even if you do a "clean install" from nvidia, it doesnt get rid of everything. Go download DDU, Link Here and follow the instructions closely. Then go reinstall the nvidia drivers and test. 

I was thinking about doing that, but Im not sure what is means by windows password. is that just my admin password or something else?

That's what im hoping and I dont have to do any serious upgrade. I can run forza horizon 3 50 fps most of the time and that game is known for stuttering issues 

ive not played gta since, im thinking of getting gta iv and playing through that :D

I was thinking about doing that, but Im not sure what is means by windows password. is that just my admin password or something else?

Shouldnt need a password. Basically start up in safe mode and run the program clean it out then restart in normal windows and reinstall. Should be as simple as that

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

On 4/22/2017 at 3:46 PM, ARikozuM said:

This is going to be painful, but you'll have to delete the game and all of the files on your drives associated with GTAV.

I got the disk download of the game so it will be easier.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:50 PM, legacy99 said:

Shouldnt need a password. Basically start up in safe mode and run the program clean it out then restart in normal windows and reinstall. Should be as simple as that

Ok I will try that immediately, because I'm honestly out of ideas.

I installed geforce experience already as some said that may be a culprit, but I noticed that nvidia was automatically setting my game optimization settings as if I had my 750 ti still. I fixed it that already, but maybe there is still a conflict between the 750 ti and 1060

I got the disk download of the game so it will be easier.

Image result for spiderman laugh meme gif

Spoiler

I tried to resist. I did, but I couldn't. I'm addicted. 

Do you have the disk or disc?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Image result for spiderman laugh meme gif

Hide contents

I tried to resist. I did, but I couldn't. I'm addicted. 

Do you have the disk or disc?

ha i meant disc, i got it from walmart and it basically installs the game from the disc and after youve done that you dont need the disc anymore

You may have to uninstall and reinstall. Also, are you on the latest drivers? My EVGA GT640 OC had huge stuttering after a week of plsying it perfectlty with no issues. My 1050 Ti sometimes has issues, but I run it on very very close to max settings (No advanced) at 1080p with Chrome open at 40-60fps almost all the time. And thats online. Do you have Vsync on? That might also help.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

On 4/22/2017 at 4:03 PM, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

You may have to uninstall and reinstall. Also, are you on the latest drivers? My EVGA GT640 OC had huge stuttering after a week of plsying it perfectlty with no issues. My 1050 Ti sometimes has issues, but I run it on very very close to max settings (No advanced) at 1080p with Chrome open at 40-60fps almost all the time. And thats online. Do you have Vsync on? That might also help.

Im using the latest drivers an I installed straight from the website. Thing is is that I can get fps around 60 or above for like 5 minutes and then it just starts to stutter using very high settings

On 4/22/2017 at 3:50 PM, legacy99 said:

So I used DDU and the stuttering STILL is happening... getting a bit annoying atm. BTW I did a normal clean, shoul I do safe mode clean instead?

EDIT: For some reason I also found a folder named NVIDIA that cant be uninstalled! It contains the latest driver and is about a 1gb of space. its in my c drive and whenever i try to delete it, it says access denied? And this is on my admin account to...

Could this cause issues maybe?

1 minute ago, JJVGaming said:

shoul I do safe mode clean instead?

You should DDU ONLY in Safe Mode lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

So I used DDU and the stuttering STILL is happening... getting a bit annoying atm. BTW I did a normal clean, shoul I do safe mode clean instead?

EDIT: For some reason I also found a folder named NVIDIA that cant be uninstalled! It contains the latest driver and is about a 1gb of space. its in my c drive and whenever i try to delete it, it says access denied? And this is on my admin account to...

Could this cause issues maybe?

Safemode for DDU cleaning only. Its how the instructions tell you to do it. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

You should DDU ONLY in Safe Mode lol

Ok I will attempt again then

Ok I will attempt again then

Once you are done it should reboot with the Microsoft Generic Display Driver, you can double check if it worked by using dxdiag.exe

If so then you're gold to install Geforce Experience and let it do all on automatic, do not let it update drivers though because that can cause issues in the long run because Geforce Experience sucks at wiping the old ones to update making it clog... Whenever you'll use a brand new driver you should DDU on safe mode to ensure maximum performance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Ok I just finished doing ddu in safe mode and installed the newest drivers from nvidias website. I'm going to see how to game behaves, wish me luck!

So I ran the game for 30 minutes with almost no stuttering (maybe like 3 or 4 hitches) and unfortunately suttering began to happen :(( Its almost as if the GPU is capable of running the game, but everything else is unable to catchup. I have two partitions atm so I will try to move GTA to the other and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, JJVGaming said:

So I ran the game for 30 minutes with almost no stuttering (maybe like 3 or 4 hitches) and unfortunately suttering began to happen :(( Its almost as if the GPU is capable of running the game, but everything else is unable to catchup. I have two partitions atm so I will try to move GTA to the other and see what happens.

So if its after a while its likely one of 2 things. Thermals are bad on either the CPU or GPU, or your CPU is hitting 100% usage. Monitor your CPU utilization with like MSI Afterburner and see how it is. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

I would try a FPS limit and see if that fixes stutters...
Maybe 50FPS cap ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Just now, legacy99 said:

So if its after a while its likely one of 2 things. Thermals are bad on either the CPU or GPU, or your CPU is hitting 100% usage. Monitor your CPU utilization with like MSI Afterburner and see how it is. 

The GPU is fine for sure, its at 67 degrees at full load, but I have not touched on the CPU yet. I did notice the CPU maxing out sometimes, and hovering at 95% utilization (85% GTA only). Could this be the case? BTW my case is MITX and im using the stock cooler, so I will check if the temps are high.

Yea, it seems more like a CPU bottleneck as GTA V is a CPU bound game more so than GPU. I would monitor its usage and temps closely. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

7 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Yea, it seems more like a CPU bottleneck as GTA V is a CPU bound game more so than GPU. I would monitor its usage and temps closely. 

Okay I will use cpuid to monitor em, at least knowing what the problem would help. I was planning on replacing the end of this year anyway, I will maybe get ryzen or just wait for what intel is gonna release

54 minutes ago, JJVGaming said:

How much RAM do you have?

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

How much RAM do you have?

8gb

8gb

DDR3 right? your issue is with memory rather than the GPU right now, GTA V is known to have some memory leaking issues making it really need 16gb, with 8gb you need to have at least 10gbs of virtual memory(pagefile) enable by preference on SSD but 7200rpm HDD works too

that is why you play some all good and slowly get worse, as your RAM gets all filled up due to the leaking.

Personal Desktop":