BeeperPlayer - An 8 bit Music Synthesiser.

BeeperPlayer

An 8-bit Music Synthesiser

So recently, I've been working on an 8-bit style music synthesiser, written using NAudio in C# .NET, and it works surprisingly well, all things considered. 

fg82vP5.png

Why should I care?

That's a good question, you see, I don't really understand music. Stuff like tempo makes little to no sense to me, thus all music is composed in milliseconds. Which for music enthusiasts, who understand this stuff, isn't great. It also makes syncing sounds across multiple tracks very difficult. Thus, I need your help. 

The app is open source, under the MS-PL, and is available here on GitHub. I need help to make this more approachable to people used to music and such.

DOWNLOADhttps://github.com/WamWooWam/BeeperPlayer/releases/tag/1.1.0a

Yes the samples are a bit shit. No, none of them are finished. But they work, so I don't care.

DEPENDENCIES:

• .NET Framework 4.5.2 or Later
  • Windows Vista SP2 or Later
  • A DirectSound compatible sound card (by default)

THINGS THAT WORK:

• Pulse, Sine, Triangle, and Sawtooth wave generation
  • White and Pink noise generation (Kinda)
  • PCM Samples
  • ZIP-based file compression
  • Unlimited concurrent tracks
  • Volume, pan and loop support
  • Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release envelopes
  • Export to WAV and MP3

THINGS THAT DON'T WORK:

• No GUI (player or composer)
  • Noise intensity not configurable

As usual, nothing malicious here, You can look through the code, compile it yourself if you're paranoid.

Have a look, tell me what's good, bad, ugly etc.

Failed to load signature. Error 404 - Witty comment not found

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Can it eat midis as the source? Been looking for something like GXSCC which never got finished

No, but it's possible. NAudio can process MIDIs, and I have thought about allowing recording through MIDI inputs when I make a composer. But I think a custom soundfont and something like VirtualMIDISynth would probably do what you want to do better.

That's a really cool program! Great job! Keep up the great work!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's a really cool program! Great job! Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much!

On 21.4.2017 at 11:42 PM, WamWooWam said:

Have a look, tell me what's good, bad, ugly etc.

As a tracker music enthusiast I'm a little disappointed. I'm no C# programmer but this seems to rely solely on a 3rd party library to do all the actual work ?

There's not much fun in that, and not much to learn.

Write the oily bits yourself, make your own signal generators, your own mixer, and all the concepts that you're then forced to learn along with those, etc...

(I'm not familiar with this "beep" format, but for your normal tracker music like Mod, s3m, etc, Tempo (aka BPM) is the speed, in Hz, at which frames are to be processed according to the formula: 2 * Tempo / 5. 

Speed is the amount of frames per pattern row.)