CPU intensity at 1080p gaming

It seems like gaming is more dependent on your processor at 1080p, why exactly is this?

GPU horsepower is pushing so many frames that CPUs are struggling to keep up. Once you get to higher resolutions, then the burden shifts back towards the GPU trying to push frames to the CPU. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

It seems like gaming is more dependent on your processor at 1080p, why exactly is this?

Because you aren't being held back by the GPU. So image that for each frame, the CPU sends some info to the GPU, it renders, shows the image and gets more info. At 1080p, the GPU is asking for new information much more quickly than at higher resolutions, so the CPU is having to compute the scene and send that info much more often, resulting in higher CPU loads.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

It all depends on the FPS you're getting.

at 1080p, all GPUs get higher framerates than 1440p or 4K.

every frame, the GPU needs some info from the CPU, and the CPU needs to calculate stuff.

the more frames, the more the CPU needs to calculate to keep up with the GPU. therefore, with the higher framerates of 1080p, there is more CPU load.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

"The CPU has two jobs:

1. Logics (physics, animations and other such things).

2. Drawcalls

Since the topic pertains to the matter of CPUs and GPUs, we'll focus on draw calls. Draw calls are the instructions that the CPU delivers to the GPU on what to render. The lower the resolution, the easier it is for the GPU to render those frames (thus, there's more frames) and the demand for draw calls increases. If we increase the resolution, the reason why you're not CPU-bottlenecked is because the number of draw calls decreases."

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

But if I throw more hertz at it, lets say from 60HZ to 144 HZ will that shift more focus on the GPU and if so, why or why not?1

30 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

But if I throw more hertz at it, lets say from 60HZ to 144 HZ will that shift more focus on the GPU and if so, why or why not?1

Changing the refresh rate of your monitor doesn't affect the GPU or CPU-load.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

17 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

Changing the refresh rate of your monitor doesn't affect the GPU or CPU-load.

If it doesn't effect the load, why is it more hardware intensive to push 60 frames at those refresh rates?

3 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

If it doesn't effect the load, why is it more hardware intensive to push 60 frames at those refresh rates?

It's not more intensive to push 60 frames whatever the refresh rate is..

I dont know where you picked that information but its wrong

4 hours ago, smokefest said:

It's not more intensive to push 60 frames whatever the refresh rate is..

I dont know where you picked that information but its wrong

So I would get literally the same frame rate at 144 Hz as I would 60 Hz?

8 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

despite having 60hz refresh rate, you can push 200 frames in CSGO for example. at 144hz refresh rate you would still push 200 frames in CSGO. Same load on the hardware.

4 hours ago, zelix said:

despite having 60hz refresh rate, you can push 200 frames in CSGO for example. at 144hz refresh rate you would still push 200 frames in CSGO. Same load on the hardware.

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS WHAT THE FUCK MAN

35 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

So I would get literally the same frame rate at 144 Hz as I would 60 Hz?

Yes.