Is this SSD a good choice?

Murilo_A

I was looking to buy an SSD for my laptop, Samsung is completely out of question, very hard to find a very expensive in my country, Intel is a bit more common, but it's still expensive, the 540s 480GB looks to be the best for it's price, but it uses TLC memory, and AFAIK, it's life span is not good. I don't plan to replace it for a long time, so this is a thing to consider, according to Intel it can survive for 5 yrs at up to 40gb writes/day, although I won't be writing 40gb a day, a considerable amount of data will be written since this will be the only drive in the system, also, 40gb/day in 5 years is only 73TB and that's not even near normal rated life span for SSDs. What do u guys think? Should I trust it?

dont be paranoid about write cycles, the ssd will endure way more than the guaranteed amount that is advertised, btw check out hyperx fury from kingston it has 750tb endurance on mlc nand and its cheap

4 minutes ago, bakidota said:

dont be paranoid about write cycles, the ssd will endure way more than the guaranteed amount that is advertised, btw check out hyperx fury from kingston it has 750tb endurance on mlc nand and its cheap

I'm not paranoid, it's just that I want it to last for a good amount of time, I'll take a look on the HyperX Fury

I'm not really sure, but I know that hard drives are more economical and will generally last longer than SSDs, and data can rot on SSDs in hot places.

1 hour ago, NJEF said:

I'm not really sure, but I know that hard drives are more economical and will generally last longer than SSDs, and data can rot on SSDs in hot places.

Hard drives are much slower and won't last longer for most cases, and I've never heard about any problems with temperatures (M.2 models usually get pretty hot)