Looking for something lightweight and fast

Hi,

I'm looking for a fast and lightweight Windows laptop for a friend of mine. Doesn't have to be the smallest/thinnest thing around, but I'd like to keep it towards that end of the spectrum.

Main uses:

• Office work
  • web browsing
  • photo editing

Here are the minimum specs I'm leaning towards

• 15" IPS display (1080p or 1440p should be fine)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 SSD
  • A few ports are always nice (some USB and something to connect a monitor to)
  • Long battery life isn't critical but is a bonus

Doesn't need dedicated graphics or any special features (touchscreen, fingerprint scanner, etc). Don't care about webcam/mic quality.

Don't have a budget in mind. Just going for the lowest price that can hit the target I suppose.

Here's a few I've been looking at but am open to suggestions

You should look at the HP Spectre x360. That fits into the pricerange and has what you want.Then again. That Dell XPS is a bomb. You could consider waiting for a refresh of the Microsoft Surface Pro if that floats your both. But the Surface Pro 4 is a nice viable option albeit overpriced.

6 minutes ago, madknight3 said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a fast and lightweight Windows laptop for a friend of mine. Doesn't have to be the smallest/thinnest thing around, but I'd like to keep it towards that end of the spectrum.

Main uses:

• Office work
  • web browsing
  • photo editing

Here are the minimum specs I'm leaning towards

• 15" IPS display (1080p or 1440p should be fine)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 256 SSD
  • A few ports are always nice (some USB and something to connect a monitor to)
  • Long battery life isn't critical but is a bonus

Doesn't need dedicated graphics or any special features (touchscreen, fingerprint scanner, etc). Don't care about webcam/mic quality.

Don't have a budget in mind. Just going for the lowest price that can hit the target I suppose.

Here's a few I've been looking at but am open to suggestions

The Inspiron and XPS models are rather nice. We have a few of them at work, and they have a quality feel, without being that heavy.

The Yoga, I have had a personal bad experience with their trackpads, both the Thinkpad and the consumer model. The bottom .5cm doesn't register mouse clicks for whatever reason (physical click). I ended up ditching it due to this, but then again I have quite small hands, so this might not be an issue for you.
Other than that, the Yoga had a nice feel to it as well, and a really nice screen once calibrated.

If I was to put my own money on a new laptop, I'd get the Inspiron. You get a lot for your money, and you can always calibrate a screen.
The XPS is a bit too much for my own pocket money, but I'd gladly take it if it was my work computer :)
If I got over the trackpad issue I personally had with the 710, that is a really cool concept and I could see myself spending the extra dough. I like the idea of having a massive tablet in bed etc.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

On 4/15/2017 at 8:14 AM, mathizel said:

- snip -

On 4/15/2017 at 8:22 AM, FunkyFeatures said:

- snip -

11 hours ago, djdelarosa25 said:

- snip -

Thanks everyone. I passed along the info and she's really digging the 2 in 1s so she's deciding between the Inspiron and the Spectre x360