GPU Recommendation for 34" Freesync 3440x1440

Hi!

A local company in my country (Singapore) was doing pre orders for a rebranded m340clz for only 600USD with local warranty. It was a deal I couldn't resist and ordered it, with it due to arrive end April. 

My predicament is that I'm currently using an RX480 and I want to reap the full benefits of the resolution, which I know atm the RX 480 might not be good enough. 

I was hoping for Vega but in light of the RX 580 being recently announced, it doesn't seem all too powerful. I am considering a gtx 1070 or 1080 and forgetting about freesync.

My question is - will my experience still be ok without any form of adaptive sync on this monitor? Should I wait for the RX 580 and decide again? 

i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

THe RX 580 is from what I've heard just a slighty faster RX 480, it won't be a beast.

For 3440x1440 I recommend at least a GTX 1070 :)

EDIT:
You won't get the benefit from freesync in that case however.

If you want freesync, get an AMD GPU.

Wait for Vega. RX 580 is not Vega, it's a more refined Polaris so it's basically an improved RX 480. Vega will be a replacement to the R9 Fury series. And FreeSync is really worth it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

11 minutes ago, bzdsftw said:

Hi!

A local company in my country (Singapore) was doing pre orders for a rebranded m340clz for only 600USD with local warranty. It was a deal I couldn't resist and ordered it, with it due to arrive end April. 

My predicament is that I'm currently using an RX480 and I want to reap the full benefits of the resolution, which I know atm the RX 480 might not be good enough. 

I was hoping for Vega but in light of the RX 580 being recently announced, it doesn't seem all too powerful. I am considering a gtx 1070 or 1080 and forgetting about freesync.

My question is - will my experience still be ok without any form of adaptive sync on this monitor? Should I wait for the RX 580 and decide again? 

Well I would wait for now, but if you really just cannot bare to wait, get a 1080. A 1080 will do you perfectly. 

anybody know when vega might release?

i5 4670k @ 4.5Ghz | ASUS R9 290 | Swiftech H220 | Fractal Define R4 Titanium | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | 2 x Seagate Barracude 1tb | 16GB 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance pro | MSI G45 Z87 Mobo | Essence STX | U2312HM | Razer Orbweaver, Logitech G600, Ducky Dk9087 shine 3 MX Blue | Corsair RM650 | Swan M200mk3, PC360, WA7 Fireflies, HD800, O2+ODAC, MrSpeakers Mad Dog |

3 minutes ago, bzdsftw said:

Remember to QUOTE us, otherwise we wont see your answers.

Just now, MVPernula said:

Remember to QUOTE us, otherwise we wont see your answers.

my bad!

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Wait for Vega. RX 580 is not Vega, it's a more refined Polaris so it's basically an improved RX 480. Vega will be a replacement to the R9 Fury series. And FreeSync is really worth it.

is there any news on when vega might release?

4 minutes ago, bzdsftw said:

Youll probably be able to get one around the end of Summer or a bit later as AMD announced Vega for 2017.

PS: Wait for Vega, don't get a Polaris AMD card or Nvidia if you already have a freesync monitor. The monitor will stick with you for quite a few years and Freesync is too good not to use.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

35 minutes ago, bzdsftw said:

Hi!

I'd recommend you keep the RX480 (running at lower detail levels) until you have a better option like vega.

Should only be a couple of months.

29 minutes ago, GlynDavies said:

Well I would wait for now, but if you really just cannot bare to wait, get a 1080. A 1080 will do you perfectly. 

No.  Do NOT do this.  Nvidia cards aren't compatible with FreeSync.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No.  Do NOT do this.  Nvidia cards aren't compatible with FreeSync.

Well, they can do this. Nothing will explode. Just won't be able to use Freesync. 

But, it's probably best to just wait to 2-3 months to upgrade the GPU to Vega. You'll survive with the 480 until then.

1 hour ago, JabroniBaloney said:

Well, they can do this. Nothing will explode. Just won't be able to use Freesync. 

But, it's probably best to just wait to 2-3 months to upgrade the GPU to Vega. You'll survive with the 480 until then.

It's terrible advice. The person who gave it probably doesn't understand variable refresh rate. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440