Should I wait to get a new Graphics card?

I was looking into maybe getting a new graphics card I still have a Nvidia GTX 960. I am a programmer studying and experimenting with neural networks using the lib Tensorflow. I also PC game a lot and I bought a new screen that can render 4k graphics but alas my graphics card cannot handle the 4k goodness. I really could care less about 4k gaming but 4k YouTube and anime :D is something I'm interested in. Which made me think about all the great Nvidia options like the GTX 1060 6gb and the 1080 is it really worth it or should I wait for newer models to come out ultimately reducing prices of older models and having more options. Should I wait? I am so conflicted I decided to come to you the community and ask for your advice. The game is afoot!

1 minute ago, Specters said:

I was looking into maybe getting a new graphics card I still have a Nvidia GTX 960. I am a programmer studying and experimenting with neural networks using the lib Tensorflow. I also PC game a lot and I bought a new screen that can render 4k graphics but alas my graphics card cannot handle the 4k goodness. I really could care less about 4k gaming but 4k YouTube and anime :D is something I'm interested in. Which made me think about all the great Nvidia options like the GTX 1060 6gb and the 1080 is it really worth it or should I wait for newer models to come out ultimately reducing prices of older models and having more options. Should I wait? I am so conflicted I decided to come to you the community and ask for your advice. The game is afoot!

You have to remember that 4k on Youtube is going to be a packet of data, not something intensive that will require your gpu, more so from your CPU. Your going to want a fast internet connection for 4k streaming.

Would recommend waiting a week or so for the Polaris Refresh cards (unless you really need cuda). The leaked RX580 could be a great option, since you don't seem like a person that likes to drop 500$ on a GPU (I could be wrong).

If you just watch videos, no need to upgrade.

Just now, FTL said:

Would recommend waiting a week or so for the Polaris Refresh cards (unless you really need cuda). The leaked RX580 could be a great option, since you don't seem like a person that likes to drop 500$ on a GPU (I could be wrong).

A refreshed RX480 will not play 4k. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, FTL said:

Well if I buy a graphics card worth $500 I would like to utilize it as much as possible I don't want a glorified peace of hardware going to waist honestly. I came into a lot of money (New Job) with a lot of free time but ill take a look into the Polaris refresh it may be my best interest to wait.

2 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

A refreshed RX480 will not play 4k. 

Sorry I should edit my post im not trying to game in 4k just watch anime and stuff in 4k xD gaming ill stick to 1080 or 1240/1280 to keep the benefits of 144hz

Well if I buy a graphics card worth $500 I would like to utilize it as much as possible I don't want a glorified peace of hardware going to waist honestly. I came into a lot of money (New Job) with a lot of free time but ill take a look into the Polaris refresh it may be my best interest to wait.

I'd wait an see how the 1170/2070 (whatever the new xx70 Volta card is named) and see if it can match a 1080/outperform it for less/equal price. 

5 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You have to remember that 4k on Youtube is going to be a packet of data, not something intensive that will require your gpu, more so from your CPU. Your going to want a fast internet connection for 4k streaming.

I have the interweb covered my res is 1080p though my friend has a 1060 and his res with the same screen goes to 4k.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

I'd wait an see how the 1170/2070 (whatever the new xx70 Volta card is named) and see if it can match a 1080/outperform it for less/equal price. 

Great input thanks :D Ill look into it for sure

Sorry I should edit my post im not trying to game in 4k just watch anime and stuff in 4k xD gaming ill stick to 1080 or 1240/1280 to keep the benefits of 144hz

Oh sorry. You could play 144hz 1440p if your panel allows it and you can afford a volta/vega xD up to you to decide if you really want to or not 

10 minutes ago, xDylanio said:

Whats ur cpu

I am missing all these posts I7 6700 HQ at 2.6 GHZ not overclocked... yet

4 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

Oh sorry. You could play 144hz 1440p if your panel allows it and you can afford a volta/vega xD up to you to decide if you really want to or not 

Didn't think about this. I will keep this in mind thanks again!