Spray painting xfx RS rx 480

Baking Pancake
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,
5 minutes ago, Baking Pancake said:

I'm thinking of disassembling the whole card so it'll be easier and looks nicer

Yeah, and tape up the inside so paint only gets on the outside.

Like two or three ?

I do like 10.

When you first start applying it needs to be a very light powdery coats so that it sticks properly.

If you apply too much you will get bubbles and runs.

So I'm thinking of doing it, I'm going to be spray painting most of the GPU, backplate, shroud and maybe the logo on the side but probably not since I'm going for a black/red theme.

before I do it what kinda spray paint I need?  I'm thinking of just plasti dipping the whole thing and see how it turns out.

anything I should look out for as well?

Plasti Dip is the best since it can be removed fairly easily should you need to for RMA. Just make sure to protect the fans and motors and electrical connectors for them and you should be good. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

11 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Plasti Dip is the best since it can be removed fairly easily should you need to for RMA. Just make sure to protect the fans and motors and electrical connectors for them and you should be good. 

I agree with this but would add that I have found plasti-dip needs to be fairly thick in order to easily peel it off. so just a suggestion, if you use plasti-dip make sure to use a few coats.

12 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Just now, argyle said:

I agree with this but would add that I have found plasti-dip needs to be fairly thick in order to easily peel it off. so just a suggestion, if you use plasti-dip make sure to use a few coats.

Like two or three ?

3 minutes ago, Baking Pancake said:

Like two or three ?

You will need to disassemble the whole card as far down as you can possibly get it. I do believe, correct me if I am wrong, the XFX version has removable fans. I would suggest 3-5 heavy coats to get it to look proper as well as be able to be pealed off should it need to be RMA'd at any point. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Like two or three ?

I do like 10.

When you first start applying it needs to be a very light powdery coats so that it sticks properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I do like 10.

Alright sweet thanks ! 

One last thing, when I start spraying do I do it inside ( my garage ) or outside ( my patio )?

1 minute ago, Baking Pancake said:

Alright sweet thanks ! 

One last thing, when I start spraying do I do it inside ( my garage ) or outside ( my patio )?

Garage imo.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Disassemble the card. You shouldn't need to use tape, unless you can't remove the logo (which you should be able to). 

I would 'rough' the shroud up slightly with some really fine sandpaper personally (800 grit wet moving upwards until it's smooth to the touch), then prime it, sand it with 1500+ grit and spray with your final coat. 

Not a fan of Plastidip personally. Mainly because when people use it they just try mask things, paint it on really thick and it turns out looking dreadful.