i5-6600k vs r5-1600

I'd like to know opinions about this specific case if we take into account that the price difference is 50 euros in favor of the Intel cpu (AMD = more expensive). 

If the R5-1600 is 50 Euro more expensive and you don't do heavy content creation (mainly gaming), get the 6600K ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If the R5-1600 is 50 Euro more expensive and you don't do heavy content creation (mainly gaming), get the 6600K ^_^

i agree...especially that we now know you need some specific memory kits that can clock higher with samsung dies and stuff...and they are generally more expensive...so not only is the CPU more expensive...it also need better cooling, and more expensive memory sticks.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

19 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

I'd like to know opinions about this specific case if we take into account that the price difference is 50 euros in favor of the Intel cpu (AMD = more expensive). 

i find it strange that AMD is more expensive though,..cause even here in canada the AMD stuff is priced very nicely...B350 board ATX size (asus B350 prime) is only 129$ and the R5 1600 CPU is also cheaper than the unlocked core i5 CPU's...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

15 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i agree...especially that we now know you need some specific memory kits that can clock higher with samsung dies and stuff...and they are generally more expensive...so not only is the CPU more expensive...it also need better cooling, and more expensive memory sticks.

Not necessarily true

1600 is efficient enough to overclock on the included stock spire cooler

25 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

Well considering the gaming perf of these cpus don't differ by much. I'd go the cheaper one. Unless you do heavy cpu stuff, that would be a different case. 50 euros should be(i think) enough to get you a good cooler for quite alot of OC on the 6600K. Though maybe get some high speed ram for your 6600k as well. That helps alot in the min fps. But if its not possible, its still fine. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

@Morgan MLGman 
@Pohernori
@i_build_nanosuits

I'm trying to prove a point to a friend. He wants to buy 1600x and a x370 board and an aftermarket cooler. Which is nice and all but not worth the money if he can get a Z170/270 and 6600k for much cheaper. Not to mention the overclocking capabilities of the R5 are not impressive at all. As an example i bought my 6600k for 203-4 euros, and the 1600x will probably be 270 atleast, there's no way that can be a good deal, especially since he doesn't do anything except some occasional gaming. The pricing is weird to say the least but hey, work with what you have. His reasoning behind paying 70 euro more for the ryzen is "future proofing"

21 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

@Morgan MLGman 
@Pohernori
@i_build_nanosuits

I'm trying to prove a point to a friend. He wants to buy 1600x and a x370 board and an aftermarket cooler. Which is nice and all but not worth the money if he can get a Z170/270 and 6600k for much cheaper. Not to mention the overclocking capabilities of the R5 are not impressive at all. As an example i bought my 6600k for 203-4 euros, and the 1600x will probably be 270 atleast, there's no way that can be a good deal, especially since he doesn't do anything except some occasional gaming. The pricing is weird to say the least but hey, work with what you have. His reasoning behind paying 70 euro more for the ryzen is "future proofing"

Where do you find a 6600K for 204 euro. I see many places the 6600K/7600K and R5 1600X are similar priced. plus/min 10 euro.

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

Where do you find a 6600K for 204 euro. I see many places the 6600K/7600K and R5 1600X are similar priced. plus/min 10 euro.

Discounted price for advance payment, and you don't pay the shipping either. Good deal imo

1 minute ago, FiveNine said:

Discounted price for advance payment, and you don't pay the shipping either. Good deal imo

200 euro for a 6600K isn't bad. :)

1 hour ago, FiveNine said:

@Morgan MLGman 
@Pohernori
@i_build_nanosuits

then, don't prove this point cause you're wrong...honestly.

tell him to get instead an R5 1600 (NON-X...the X is not worth it, it's the same chip, it's unlocked, overclocking it to 1600X speed and beyond can be done in no time flat) also tell him X370 is not worth it, B350 boards are much cheaper and they carry all the features he want/need including overclocking.

R5 1600 > i5-6600K any day of the week...especially looking in the future.

IMHO, he's right, and you're wrong...but he just selected premium ryzen parts and this is where he blow too much money when he can have the exact same performance with the R5 1600 and a B350 board...these parts will greatly outlast your 6600K when it comes to gaming...in 3 years from now the 6c/12t ryzen chip will still demolish AAA titles...where as the 6600K is already maxed out in BF1, watchdogs 2, crysis 3 etc. the list of games that the 6600K hit full load and insert stuttering is too long to fit in this post. Sry mate...

@Morgan MLGman what do you think?

Pretty sure others will agree as well..the core i5 CPU's we're the ''go to'' CPU for gaming...3 years ago...now we are at a point where the core i7 perform noticeably better and smoother in demanding modern games...especially when it comes to smoothness of animation (frame-timing, minimum FPS, 1% and 0.1% lows etc.) a CPU with more cores and threads now benefit gamers in many titles, in many ways...the core i5 are holding back higher-end GPUs already, especially if you game at higher refresh rates.

IMHO, building on a new platform at this point, for a gamer...this is the kind of parts to get...the R5 1600 even come with a cooler, which is quite good BTW...might want something better in the long run, but for now this would do just fine...and if not, at least you have a boxed cooler in case something goes wrong with an AIO down the road or something then you can still use the machine until it's sorted out:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($218.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $432.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-13 07:25 EDT-0400

This is cheaper than a Z270 / i5-6600K/7600K build, and it will destroy it, especially looking in the future as the platform will mature, and optimization will kick in in UEFI, windows, games etc.

6 cores, 12 threads, 16MB of L3 cache...can't go wrong whit such a beastly chip.

Clock that to 3.8 or 3.9ghz and boom, you have an insanely powerful machine that will handle anything, for years.

@i_build_nanosuits

So basically i'm wrong if you change the parameters of the argument completely. Of course it's a better choice if he does what you say, but that's not what we are talking about. You're also using irrelevant prices which don't apply here.

@i_build_nanosuits

So basically i'm wrong if you change the parameters of the argument completely. Of course it's a better choice if he does what you say, but that's not what we are talking about. You're also using irrelevant prices which don't apply here.

what i'm telling you is: just tell him to shop a bit, find an R5 1600 and a B350 board that fits his color styles etc...and he'll be WAY better of then buying a 4c/4t 6mb intel processor that has 5% more IPC but 300% less processing threads.

2 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

@i_build_nanosuits

is it really that you have a friend shopping for a new computer right now? how are you just trying to comfort yourself in your purchase of the i5-6600K? doing post purchase rationalization it looks like...might be wrong, but it certainly sounds like it...sorry.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

what i'm telling you is: just tell him to shop a bit, find an R5 1600 and a B350 board that fits his color styles etc...and he'll be WAY better of then buying a 4c/4t 6mb intel processor that has 5% more IPC but 300% less processing threads.

He's not listening. I told him the x board and the 1600x are not worth the extra money. I bought my cpu a few months ago, i have no buyers remorse. I'm arguing objectively with the current price points. There's no way 50e markup is justifiable for the cpu only

Just now, FiveNine said:

He's not listening. I told him the x board and the 1600x are not worth the extra money. I bought my cpu a few months ago, i have no buyers remorse. I'm arguing objectively with the current price points. There's no way 50e markup is justifiable for the cpu only

hummm...i'm not sure honestly...depending on his upgrade cycles...if he plan on using the machine for 3 years or more without upgrading the main base components...50e is probably nothing honestly...i would do it.

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

is it really that you have a friend shopping for a new computer right now? how are you just trying to comfort yourself in your purchase of the i5-6600K? doing post purchase rationalization it looks like...might be wrong, but it certainly sounds like it...sorry.

Lol you were right.

More like you're afraid to admit you made the wrong decision.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, i_build_nanosuits said:

hummm...i'm not sure honestly...depending on his upgrade cycles...if he plan on using the machine for 3 years or more without upgrading the main base components...50e is probably nothing honestly...i would do it.

I guess it depends on how liberal you are with your money :D If i can convince him not to buy the X board that would be good

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Lol you were right.

More like you're afraid to admit you made the wrong decision.

I'm not afraid of anything, if i were buying right now i wouldn't buy Intel. Why are you all so obsessed about my choice, i'm not the one making the purchase here. I'm trying to get him to buy a B board and a regular 1600

2 minutes ago, FiveNine said:

I guess it depends on how liberal you are with your money :D If i can convince him not to buy the X board that would be good

X370 boards are worth it solely if you know for sure that you're going to use crossfire or SLI down the road (which is really not something i would recommend anyways, buying a stronger card and selling the older one online is always a bette rupgrade path IMHO anyways)

So X370 not worth it for most people, R5 1600X not worth it for anybody.

Get entry level B350 boards that fit your aestetics desires, some 3000mhz+ RAM kits, again...find something cheap there...and an R5 1600...and overclock it a bit...3.8hgz/3.9ghz should be easy.

2 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

X370 boards are worth it solely if you know for sure that you're going to use crossfire or SLI down the road (which is really not something i would recommend anyways, buying a stronger card and selling the older one online is always a bette rupgrade path IMHO anyways)

So X370 not worth it for most people, R5 1600X not worth it for anybody.

Get entry level B350 boards that fit your aestetics desires, some 3000mhz+ RAM kits, again...find something cheap there...and an R5 1600...and overclock it a bit...3.8hgz/3.9ghz should be easy.

I don't think I could've said it better ^_^ I completely agree... 4C/4T is just not the future anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I don't think I could've said it better ^_^ I completely agree... 4C/4T is just not the future anymore.

R5 1600 for 219$USD is a real gift from AMD IMHO...with some tuning it achieve single-threaded performance in the haswell/broadwell range...which mean it is basically the same performance or very very similar to the X99 Core i7-5820K and core i7-6800K...CPU's that retail for around 400$USD right now...CPU's that FLAT OUT destroy the core i5-6600K/7600K in everything and anything you can think of.

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600X/3607vs3920