Any tips for new Overwatch players?

Cyberspirit
Go to solution Solved by ChuckMaurice,
2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

I really enjoy playing D.Va, Mercy and Reinhardt but I'd love to get better as a sniper as well. 

Defense snipers are a risky pick: they require a lot of aiming skills, evasion tactics and situational awareness, A bad sniper can ruin a game (especially on attack) and the required skills are a lot different from all the FPS I played until now. I know I was a pretty good sniper in Battlefield but I totally suck as a Widow or Hanzo. Fortunately there is "attack DPS" counterparts to snipers (Genji and McCree) that require pretty much the same skills, but can handle melee fights, and Ana is a great pick too.

I'm a really casual player and play mostly on week-ends but here's my experience after 100+ hours playing, mostly supports and tanks with a little bit of competitive:

Beginner heroes everyone can understand the basics:

Mercy, Lucio, Reinhardt, Soldier 76, Reaper

Heroes I learned to play really well after a few weeks (like 4-5 hours of hero playtime):

D.Va, Pharah, Orisa, Bastion, Mei, Ana, Zenyatta, Roadhog, Torbjorn, Symmetra

Heroes more complicated that I learned to play better after a few months and still struggle with sometimes
Sombra, Junkrat, McCree, Zarya, Winston (or as I like to call him, the wrecking ball of unexpected gold medals)

Heroes I still suck at because lack of skill/practice:

- Widowmaker (can't aim for sh*t)

- Hanzo and Genji, the famous Shimada Brothers Circus of WTF

- Tracer (I'm apparently too slow ^^)

- wallriding Lucio (oh look this dumb guy just jumped himself off the map)

This is personal but a good overview of how I climbed the hero pool difficulty. What you want to do is try to find heroes you really enjoy to play, and widen your pool to similar heroes to be as flexible as possible while maintaining a set of picks you are awesome at.

Example: at my level I suck at hitscan/precision based heroes (Soldier, McCree...) but I love projectile-based heroes (Mei, Zenyatta) so I focused on them an tried to expand skills I master to similar heroes in other roles (tank: D.Va, offense: Pharah...). Try to find at least one hero of each role you're very good at with the same base skills.

You might also love close-combat heroes (Reaper, Reinhart, Roadhog), disruptive heroes that goes in, kicks ass and disappear (Sombra, Tracer, Winston), sharpshooters (Ana, Widow, Genji, McCree...), heavy-fire (Bastion, Junkrat...). But try everything for at least 1h each to really get a taste of the gameplay of each hero (this will also teach you how to counter them properly).

Hey I recently bought overwatch and I really like it but most of the time I'm confused because there are a lot of heroes and I'm not sure how should I use them. 

I really enjoy playing D.Va, Mercy and Reinhardt but I'd love to get better as a sniper as well. 

Haven't tried out all the heroes yet mostly just play as Mercy and D.Va. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

6 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hey I recently bought overwatch and I really like it but most of the time I'm confused because there are a lot of heroes and I'm not sure how should I use them. 

D.Va is my main i suggest going into arcade mode and just trying out heros to see if you like them thats what i did for a few days helped me get a feel for how each hero worked. 

I lurk a lot

If you want to try playing some other heroes play the mystery mode so it picks for you. 

2 minutes ago, NJHourigan said:

If you want to try playing some other heroes play the mystery mode so it picks for you. 

I'll try it out and we'll see. Thanks for the heads up! :)

7 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Soldier 76 is probably next to get good at if you are going for sniper later.

Watch some of the youtube channels, for hints on many of the really unexpected things you can do with all characters, like    muselk   and   Unit Lost

2 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Defense snipers are a risky pick: they require a lot of aiming skills, evasion tactics and situational awareness, A bad sniper can ruin a game (especially on attack) and the required skills are a lot different from all the FPS I played until now. I know I was a pretty good sniper in Battlefield but I totally suck as a Widow or Hanzo. Fortunately there is "attack DPS" counterparts to snipers (Genji and McCree) that require pretty much the same skills, but can handle melee fights, and Ana is a great pick too.

I'm a really casual player and play mostly on week-ends but here's my experience after 100+ hours playing, mostly supports and tanks with a little bit of competitive:

Heroes I learned to play really well after a few weeks (like 4-5 hours of hero playtime):

Heroes more complicated that I learned to play better after a few months and still struggle with sometimes
Sombra, Junkrat, McCree, Zarya, Winston (or as I like to call him, the wrecking ball of unexpected gold medals)

This is personal but a good overview of how I climbed the hero pool difficulty. What you want to do is try to find heroes you really enjoy to play, and widen your pool to similar heroes to be as flexible as possible while maintaining a set of picks you are awesome at.

Example: at my level I suck at hitscan/precision based heroes (Soldier, McCree...) but I love projectile-based heroes (Mei, Zenyatta) so I focused on them an tried to expand skills I master to similar heroes in other roles (tank: D.Va, offense: Pharah...). Try to find at least one hero of each role you're very good at with the same base skills.

You might also love close-combat heroes (Reaper, Reinhart, Roadhog), disruptive heroes that goes in, kicks ass and disappear (Sombra, Tracer, Winston), sharpshooters (Ana, Widow, Genji, McCree...), heavy-fire (Bastion, Junkrat...). But try everything for at least 1h each to really get a taste of the gameplay of each hero (this will also teach you how to counter them properly).

[Insert smart comment here]

8 hours ago, jldjul said:

Thank you! 

This was very helpful. 

I'll make sure to try out all the heroes and we'll see which ones are the most fitting for me. 

I really dislike the sounds Bastion makes tho. 

It really sucks when i become good at an fps but then I I switch and just feel like absolute garbage. 

(switched from Paladins) 

Just ordered a Razer Deathadder since the one I had was a super cheap wireless one from tesco... 

The scroll wheel broke first day and now that I started using the right click and the dps button they started to act funny as well. 

Sometimes they work sometimes they just won't.