Making a computer think a monitor has a higher Hz

Mince

I was wondering if it is possible to make a computer think the display it's using is 144hz while still pushing 60 fps to it. Kinda like, it would make games with V-Sync run at 144fps but would still only try to push 60fps to the monitor. I'm pretty sure it's possible, but I don't know how. If anyone has the know-how on how to do it, please let me know :)

Why ?just turn V sync off if you want more fps

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I think you mean you want to cap your fps at 144fps while your monitor still gets 60Hz?

So like vsync at a higher refresh rate than your monitor?

You can do this with software like bandicam, or some games have fps lock in the settings.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

Why just turn V sync off if you want more fps

It's complicated what I need this for... The game I play is coded pretty poorly and it forces V-Sync. BUT the Tickrate of the game is directly connected to the FPS. If someone has a 144hz monitor, it increases the tickrate to 144 TPS rather than what most people get which is 60. Being able to make the game run at 144FPS on a 60hz monitor would make it possible for people without a 144hz monitor to still get the benefit as if it were 144hz

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I think you mean you want to cap your fps at 144fps while your monitor still gets 60Hz?

So like vsync at a higher refresh rate than your monitor?

You can do this with software like bandicam, or some games have fps lock in the settings.

Exactly, V-Sync at a higher refresh rate than the monitor. The game doesn't let me do that (Unless steam has some launch settings where I can force it). And Bandicam only enforces an upper limit, not a lower limit.

4 minutes ago, Mince said:

Exactly, V-Sync at a higher refresh rate than the monitor. The game doesn't let me do that (Unless steam has some launch settings where I can force it). And Bandicam only enforces an upper limit, not a lower limit.

There is no such thing as a lower limit.

That has never existed in the history of computers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There is no such thing as a lower limit.

That has never existed in the history of computers.

Sorry, poor word choice. I meant that bandicam makes the game never go Above a certain FPS value. I want the game to never go Below a certain FPS value (Unless it needs to). I dont really know how to explain it... Just V-Sync at a higher refresh rate than my monitor is the best way to put it. The game forces V-Sync and it's impossible to disable.

Just now, Mince said:

Sorry, poor word choice. I meant that bandicam makes the game never go Above a certain FPS value. I want the game to never go Below a certain FPS value.

That's not possible to do.

Vsync sets an upper limit, not a lower limit, just like framerate locking.

If your GPU cannot push enough frames, then you need to buy a more powerful GPU.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Mince said:

It's complicated what I need this for... The game I play is coded pretty poorly and it forces V-Sync. BUT the Tickrate of the game is directly connected to the FPS. If someone has a 144hz monitor, it increases the tickrate to 144 TPS rather than what most people get which is 60. Being able to make the game run at 144FPS on a 60hz monitor would make it possible for people without a 144hz monitor to still get the benefit as if it were 144hz

I don't see how this would be beneficial if the output is only 60 Hz.

Just now, Enderman said:

That's not possible to do.

Vsync sets an upper limit, not a lower limit, just like framerate locking.

If your GPU cannot push enough frames, then you need to buy a more powerful GPU.

I realized I didnt put in enough information and edited the post hoping you would see the edited version. I just want to v-sync at a higher value than my hz. I cant disable v-sync.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't see how this would be beneficial if the output is only 60 Hz.

It's complicated... but given you asked:
The TPS (Ticks per second) of the game I play is linked directly to the FPS value of the game (Terrible coding). If you are familiar with CSGO 128 tick vs 64 tick, it's exactly like that.

2 minutes ago, Mince said:

I realized I didnt put in enough information and edited the post hoping you would see the edited version. I just want to v-sync at a higher value than my hz. I cant disable v-sync.

Oh well you need to disable vsync in the game settings or GPU control panel.

It's different depending on the game so you might need to do some research on google to see how others have done it.

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Oh well you need to disable vsync in the game settings or GPU control panel.

It's different depending on the game so you might need to do some research on google to see how others have done it.

I can't stress this enough: you CAN NOT disable V-Sync. It's hard coded into the game. There is an option in the menu to disable/enable it but it doesn't do anything.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

There's also the chance that the game hard coded its cycle counter to 60Hz. And if it did that, then upping the frame rate would just result in the game running in fast forward.

Not exactly because people with 144hz still run at the same speed (there are plenty of videos to show this).

The first video is 60hz
The second video is 144hz

144hz just allows the clicks to be 2.4x more precise.

4 minutes ago, Mince said:

I can't stress this enough: you CAN NOT disable V-Sync. It's hard coded into the game. There is an option in the menu to disable/enable it but it doesn't do anything.

Force it off via the control panel of your GPU.

Just now, Majestic said:

Force it off via the control panel of your GPU.

Running Intel Graphics...

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Doesn't that interface also have 3D settings?

Got this far, where are the driver settings?

safdfasd.png

3 minutes ago, Mince said:

144hz just allows the clicks to be 2.4x more precise.

And how does that help?

I mean, here's Dolce playing one of the hardest songs in beatmania IIDX.

The timing for the best score requires near frame perfect timing (you can be late by one frame). It also mandates the monitor run at 59.95Hz and is so precise with this that even bumping it up to 60Hz will screw up the timing.

Increasing the precision/accuracy of something when it's already approaching human limits does not improve your skill.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

-snip-

Its more complicated than just 2.4* as precise... It also causes some of the physics in the game to change.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Then that's a poorly coded game.

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, Majestic said:

probably set elsewhere in the main menu.

I can't find it :( tried googling it too, I think this is the right direction though.