What case for quitest cooling setup?

Right now I need to make a custom loop for the CPU - 2600K + GPU - 580, CPU overclocked to 4.8 and GPU as is and maybe I'll look into overclocking it.

The question is, what case should I get for maximum quite operation? How many rads would I need as it would dictate what case I should get.

Would a 360 + 120 be enough? 480 + 360? or maybe even 480x2? What would be an overkill and too little?

The general rule is considered a 120mm rad for each heat source + 1 extra 120mm.

But considering how you have a pretty high overclock on the cpu and want to overclock the gpu too you might want to go with at least a 480 rad in total. More never hurts so if you can find a cheap case that can support even more you could get that one :D

As Maverik says, that formula works for general setup. If you want "quiet" then end in a bit more rad and get top quality fans. So, look to do a 360+240 or a 480+240... either of those would allow you to run the fans at a pretty low RPM.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Any case suggestions for 480 rad? (I don't like TJ07)

For a full 480 you are very limited to only the more premier cases. As you noticed, Silverstone have some, so does Case Labs and the upcoming 900D. I have seen some modded 800D that support one. Also, there are a lot of cases that will do a 360 and 240/280 as well...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

the 600T can support 360 + 240 with some modding and if you dont need any drive bays.

If you want native support there are only a few cases.. what about the Silverstone Tj11 ?

(Comming soon)

Well I now have a 600t, what modding your talking about?

I would rather get 900D, cheaper and looks better.

Once the 900D becomes available (if you can wait). 420s have marginally more surface area than 480s do, so if you can find one of them for the same price then it's not a bad idea. The 900D can fit two 480s or 420's, a 120, a 240, and a 360 in it. That would give you a super quiet system. It would also be very expensive.

If you want it quieter, look into waterblocks for your 580. EK makes some pretty cool products.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Well, 420rad is cheaper than 480, don't know if it is necessary better in performance though :S

And of course I'm getting a water-block for GPU.

Other factors to consider are rad thickness and fin density. Thicker rads will perform better than thinner ones. I know this sounds like a "duh" but you'd be surprised at how many people don't think of this. The Switch 810 is a good case for getting a lot of rad with minimal to no modding. You could fit a 360 up in the roof, 120 on the back and a 240 in the floor without having to make cuts. Careful though on the roof as there's not enough clearance for a push/pull config without a very thin rad like the BlackIce GTS series.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Was thinking of using Alphacool UT60 rads, they seem to be performing on top.

I would probably not go for more than 2 rads as it only increases the complexity and possibility for leaks and other problems.

But does the push-pull equal a better performance than just pull (remember Linus was no that impressed)?

How about an Azza Genesis 9000?

Comeon now I would say that its already water cooling isnt it already quiet?

Was thinking of using Alphacool UT60 rads, they seem to be performing on top.

I would probably not go for more than 2 rads as it only increases the complexity and possibility for leaks and other problems.

But does the push-pull equal a better performance than just pull (remember Linus was no that impressed)?

push/pull means you can use lower rpm.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Comeon now I would say that its already water cooling isnt it already quiet?

Haha, not always. I have seen some bad designs which results in very loud fans running at high RPM - loud as any other system. Water or aircooled, all comes down to product's used and proper design.

They don't sell them here in Europe :(

• 1 month later...

Easy 900D if not that you could get the Azza Genesis 9000

If you are only gonna be watercooling 1 GPU and the CPU you will only need a 360 as a minimum I believe but going higher and more radiators would be good but if you are doing Dual GPU and the CPU you will need as a minimum a 480.