what linux distribution do you use?

Fedora 25 Gnome here, just switched recently, loving it so far.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I tend to jump around.  Right now I'm using Windows 10 just because the project I'm working on doesn't do a good job of supporting linux and I'm pressed for time.  I like Arch a bunch (once you get past the set-up process) mostly because of how efficient it is, and because pacman is an excellent package manager (seriously puts all others to shame).  It just can be a bit annoying when changing PC's very often, or when an update breaks something.  It's usually not a problem and just takes a little tinkering to fix it, but if there are deadlines or if you're not experienced it may not be worth it to you.  

Otherwise Fedora is pretty good too.  I've used fedora 25 for a while and there's a lot of support for it and its pretty easy to use right out of the box.  It also helps that dnf is a pretty good package manager and rpm is supported, which can make a few installations a bit easier.  It's also pretty nice getting some of the latest updates, and Gnome integration is excellent.

Ubuntu is pretty good too.  I tend to try to avoid it (as it is often seen as the "beginner's distribution"), but it can be a pretty good combination of up-to-date packages and stability (especially the LTS versions), and there is always a large amount of support for it.

OpenSUSE is also pretty good, sometimes even a bit underrated.  For a first time user, or even and experienced linux user using it for the first time, it can be a bit of a learning curve (and zypper kinda sucks as a package manager), but it can be pretty stable and perform pretty well.

There's a bunch of others I like and have played around with, but those ones stand out the most to me.

Just now, Ethann_AKA_CPU1 said:

arch with KDE

im going to start trying to do Linux from scratch

So with no pre-existing distribution?

Isn't that going to be an absolute nightmare? Since you'd have no package manager and would need to compile & update almost everything from source?

5 hours ago, pipnina said:

So with no pre-existing distribution?

Isn't that going to be an absolute nightmare? Since you'd have no package manager and would need to compile & update almost everything from source?

There's nothing really stopping him from getting a package manager, but then it's not really from scratch anymore. People only use the package manager their distro comes with because mixing package managers that install to the same locations is a bad idea.