Google Promoting "White space" again

sperkowsky

Google is doing what it does best again. Inovation. 

The so called "white space" thing has been put on hold since essentially 2009 and google is trying to reclaim it. 

According to the verge Google created an api to make using the white space a lot easier.

One company is already using the white space public wifi to the west virginia university.

Interested in to see what you guys have to say about this

Orginal article from the verge: http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/15/5106218/google-database-api-brings-white-space-broadband-closer

I'm pretty sure they did this in the UK after everything when TV went digital. The majority of it went to mobile data, there was a massive scramble for the space, think that's how that company "EE" started up.

I'm pretty sure they did this in the UK after everything when TV went digital. The majority of it went to mobile data, there was a massive scramble for the space, think that's how that company "EE" started up.

Well EE is effectively the merger of TMobile and Orange but anyway.

It sounds like a fairly good idea, but I would guess the much lower frequencies of this program (comments section says 54 to 806 Mhz compared to 2.4GHz for WiFi) means it's much slower than wifi, although it seems to be the mobile signal band ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands ) so perhaps not so bad. I can't see it taking off much though.

HTTP/2 203

Well EE is effectively the merger of TMobile and Orange but anyway.

Yeah but that's how they were able to get the fastest mobile speeds by using the old analogue TV bandwidths and that was really their only selling point.

From what I hear they are terrible for coverage and it's way too overpriced.

Yeah but that's how they were able to get the fastest mobile speeds by using the old analogue TV bandwidths and that was really their only selling point.

From what I hear they are terrible for coverage and it's way too overpriced.

Well I was on orange and now EE (2G :() and the coverage is actually great, but I don't know about their 3G and 4G coverage. It is overpriced though, and when I get a new phone soon I will be going to virgin mobile which is so much cheaper. And they apparently use the tmobile network anyway.

HTTP/2 203

Looks cool.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Great that Google is taking it and using this to give broadband to rural areas and give people faster internet. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer