Difference between i7 4790k and i7 7700k?

Hi,

I considering giving my system a huge upgrade, i recently bought a GTX 1080 ti, but I'm afraid that my CPU will bottle neck it's performance! Any suggestions on what i should do? Is it worth to go from a  4790k to a 7700k? 

Difference is gonna be 10%, max. It's not worth the upgrade.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Difference is gonna be 10%, max. It's not worth the upgrade.

Alright, what about ryzen by any chance? Idk tho, not a fan on how they over hype their products 

It depends on what you're planning to do with your old CPU. If you plan on selling it and you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I would say go for it since Kaby Lake has some minor IPC (instructions per clock) improvements over Haswell and the 7700k has a quite a bit higher clock speed as well. If you're keeping the 4790k, though, I wouldn't recommend spending about $350 (+the cost of a new motherboard and memory) just for those rather minor improvements.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Like other's said 10% IPC improvement with another 2-4% improvement via higher frequency capability.

The 1080 Ti will not get bottlenecked. Even core i5s will do fine in keeping up with that behemoth. Don't sweat it.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

Just now, YourComputerGeek said:

Alright, what about ryzen by any chance? Idk tho, not a fan on how they over hype their products 

If you're planning on gaming only, I would stick with Intel. Ryzen is more aimed at content creators and streamers due to their higher core/thread count. Their lower clock speed will probably result in lower FPS in certain games when compared to a 4790k with a decent OC.

WHIPLASH

Just now, toasty6776 said:

It depends on what you're planning to do with your old CPU. If you plan on selling it and you have some money burning a hole in your pocket, I would say go for it since Kaby Lake has some minor IPC (instructions per clock) improvements over Haswell and the 7700k has a quite a bit higher clock speed as well. If you're keeping the 4790k, though, I wouldn't recommend spending about $350 (+the cost of a new motherboard and memory) just for those rather minor improvements.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but more PCI lanes, the better for a card like the GTX 1080 ti? 

3 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

If you're doing multi threaded stuff like video editing then sure, go for it, but if you're only gaming it's worse than a 7700k.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but more PCI lanes, the better for a card like the GTX 1080 ti? 

This would only be true if you had loads of other expansion cards in your system. The PCIe 16x slot physically can't utilise more than 16 PCIe lanes thus the PCIe 16x name.

WHIPLASH

Kaby lake and haswell have the same amount of pcie lanes from the CPU itself. Anyhow, x8 vs x16 still has no performance difference.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, TechyInAZ said:

The 1080 Ti will not get bottlenecked

That really depends on the game. Some titles like BF1 really use a lot of CPU resources and can result in the GPU getting bottlenecked by the CPU (if you're playing at lower resolutions)

WHIPLASH

That really depends on the game. Some titles like BF1 really use a lot of CPU resources and can result in the GPU getting bottlenecked by the CPU (if you're playing at lower resolutions)

Yeah true true. However we've got to differentiate the difference between technical bottlenecking and bottlenecking that affects the gaming expereince. Bottlenecking at super high FPS I wouldn't consider a bad bottleneck.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

I will be playing at 4k, will that start to see a bottleneck? But, i don't play BF4

If you're just playing games there's not a CPU you can buy that will give you a noticeably better experience than your 4790k even @ stock. I do recommend you overclock it if you can, hell it's free fps

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

I will be playing at 4k, will that start to see a bottleneck? But, i don't play BF4

At 4k you should be alright since the GPU will be busy enough rendering more than 60 FPS at that high of a resolution.

WHIPLASH

Overclocked 4790k to about 4.6GHz will give you about the same performance as 7700k on stock speeds, not really worth the upgrade.

I jumped ona Ryzen 1700 from a 4790k - Why?

I looked on ebay and the stuff I had was selling REALLY well. My CPU sold for £220, my board £90, my ram (2x 16gb kits) £155, and some other pieces I had lying around like a fan controller, mouse, keyboard and soundblaster Z - It totalled £540 ish - This basically paid for my upgrade albeit I had to throw money in for the ram.

Other reasons? Newer platform - I can run my m.2 drive at full speed (no room in my case with bottom radiator to use a PCI adapter) a newer platform, DDR4 and hell - LOTS more cores.

Initial gaming results is slower on benchmarks - mainly because my ram isn't officially supported by gigabyte (another issue with Ryzen, Ram is a bitch) so its running 2133mhz, a massive killer - however my chip is decent, 4 ghz @ 1.380v - although, gaming does feel smoother - don't ask me why, it just feels smoother.

I did some benchmarks in my build log of 4790k vs my ryzen build - you can go have a look if ya like, remember the Ryzen is massively gimped @ 2133mhz ram

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

I jumped ona Ryzen 1700 from a 4790k - Why?

I looked on ebay and the stuff I had was selling REALLY well. My CPU sold for £220, my board £90, my ram (2x 16gb kits) £155, and some other pieces I had lying around like a fan controller, mouse, keyboard and soundblaster Z - It totalled £540 ish - This basically paid for my upgrade albeit I had to throw money in for the ram.

Other reasons? Newer platform - I can run my m.2 drive at full speed (no room in my case with bottom radiator to use a PCI adapter) a newer platform, DDR4 and hell - LOTS more cores.

Initial gaming results is slower on benchmarks - mainly because my ram isn't officially supported by gigabyte (another issue with Ryzen, Ram is a bitch) so its running 2133mhz, a massive killer - however my chip is decent, 4 ghz @ 1.380v - although, gaming does feel smoother - don't ask me why, it just feels smoother.

I did some benchmarks in my build log of 4790k vs my ryzen build - you can go have a look if ya like, remember the Ryzen is massively gimped @ 2133mhz ram

Would you say it's worth what you did? Would you recommend it? 

1 minute ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Would you say it's worth what you did? Would you recommend it? 

Depends on a few things:

a) Will you ever use the extra cores?

b) Are you willing to have sub par performance whilst waiting on updates and devs to implement Ryzen tech into their games?

However at 4k, you probably won't notice the difference anyway - i'm glad I changed, do I wish I went 7700k? At this time yes - but that purely down to how it all performs at this time - I know it will get better and the performance I have at 1440P is fine, its only when you look at charts that you wonder

as + the multithread performance is better than a $1000 6900k - that's what makes me smile lol

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P