byalexandr's Define Nano S - Stainless Steel Hardline Tubing

Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've been on the forums, at least in the main part of the forum (hello users of The Garage in Off Topic). Due mainly to my car costing me a lot of money, I haven't been putting much attention into my PC.

My car btw:

20170404_194142.thumb.jpg.27fab8d07b53a0852e3b479ae9d597d3.jpg

But all that is changing, I am putting my car on hold for now to work on my beloved system that I have continuously improved upon over the years (which started as an HP Pavilion desktop!).

This is the current state of the system.

20170408_222953.thumb.jpg.b663996a35c2f5434315a82e95f676da.jpg

No GPU, as I sold the 1060 I had in there. Running the system using integrated graphics.

Specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5 4570

AsRock B85M-ITX

AData Premier Pro 16GB DDR3-1600

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Cooler Master Seidon 120V

Define Nano S

EVGA BQ 650W

Pretty standard stuff, save for the no GPU part. Obviously I haven't even touched the system, still have some stickers on the front and stuff.

So what will this build log consist of? Well, first off we need new hardware.

This Thursday I will be ordering the following parts to get my system back as a top performer:

Intel Core i7 4790K

PNY GeForce GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

WD Blue 1TB (since I need some more storage as well)

That should do it for the hardware upgrade. I play at 1080P 144Hz so I think the 1080 is a good fit.

Now, for the liquid cooling part, which I'm sure most of you are here for.

I will be using the following components, will order them in a couple weeks as I can't afford the whole thing with one paycheck xD

EK Supremacy MX CPU Block - Acetal

EK FC1080 Full Cover Nickel Plated Copper GTX 1080 Waterblock - Acetal

EK FC1080 Black Anodized Aluminum GTX 1080 Backplate

2x EK CoolStream SE 240 Dual 120mm Radiators

EK XTOP Revo D5 PWM Pump

EK Res X3 150 Reservoir

Koolance 13mm OD (1/2") Rigid Compression Fittings Black

Koolance 13mm OD (1/2") Rotary Elbow Rigid Compression Fittings Black

Koolance Nozzle Socket Plugs Black

Mayhems Biocide Extreme 15mL Concentrate

1/2" OD .430" ID .035" Wall Annealed 304 Series Stainless Steel Tubing (Several Feet :))

5x EK Vardar F1-120 1150RPM 120mm Fans

So the plan is to have a mostly black theme with the stainless steel tubing serving as an accent. I will keep the same white LED lighting (that for some reason looks very blue in that photo I took) to illuminate the case. The stickers on the front will most likely be removed, I thought it looked cool for a while but it will mess with the clean look I'm going for.

I haven't entirely figured out the tubing runs yet, but Paul Hardware's Hot Box 2.0 is serving as a strong contender for how I will run my tubing. I'll post more detailed plans for it later on as we actually get started.

That's it for now, this Thursday I will for sure be ordering the GTX 1080 first, as I am in desperate need of some video games.

Stay tuned! Leave you comments below, suggestions and ideas are always welcome. This is my first custom loop after all!

Sounds Nice!!! The stainless tubing should look sweeeeet!

Though if you want to go for overkill, you could get a 1080 Ti, as it's supposed to be faster than a Titan XP*, at half the price.

*Not the brand new Titan Xp, which is even faster.

Oh, and nice car!  ;)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I have two questions:

- What car is that?

- Who do I have to kill to get one?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Wait wait wait, hold on a second. First off, nice! Love hardline tubing and its aesthetic appeal!

Okay, but now onto a few concerns I kinda see:

1) Why the 4790K? Unless it happens to be a good deal, you're paying for the premium of an overclockable chip on a non-overclockable chipset. Seems like an odd mismatch here.

2) Will stainless steel possibly induce corrosion with the copper elements of your loop? This can be mitigated if it actually is an issue, but still, it may be better to dodge the issue entirely with a change in materials.

(EDIT: A quick search into the matter suggests that stainless steel is about the same as nickel in terms of "galvanic series", which I think means it should be fine to use with copper. I think. I'm not all that knowledgeable here)

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

What car is that? It's beautiful. 

And why the 4790k? IMHO with b85 you're best off getting something like a e3-1231v3 (locked i7 4770 100mhz lower)

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

And why the 4790k? IMHO with b85 you're best off getting something like a e3-1231v3 (locked i7 4770 100mhz lower)

AW11 MR2

Just now, alexcheetah said:

AW11 MR2

God damn. It looks like a mix of AE86 and MX5, it's really cool.. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

17 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I have two questions:

- What car is that?

Pretty sure it's the old-bodied MR2. Little mid-engine, rear drive Toyotas. Really cool little cars, a whole lot of fun. Those old style ones are way less common, and were really powerful if you got the right one. That one uses the 4A-GE engine, real classic. You could get that body with a supercharger too ;) 

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

I have two questions:

- What car is that?

1985 Toyota MR2. Mid engine rear wheel drive, has a 4AGE 16V engine.

8 hours ago, RezidentSeagull said:

Wait wait wait, hold on a second. First off, nice! Love hardline tubing and its aesthetic appeal!

Okay, but now onto a few concerns I kinda see:

1) Why the 4790K? Unless it happens to be a good deal, you're paying for the premium of an overclockable chip on a non-overclockable chipset. Seems like an odd mismatch here.

2) Will stainless steel possibly induce corrosion with the copper elements of your loop? This can be mitigated if it actually is an issue, but still, it may be better to dodge the issue entirely with a change in materials.

(EDIT: A quick search into the matter suggests that stainless steel is about the same as nickel in terms of "galvanic series", which I think means it should be fine to use with copper. I think. I'm not all that knowledgeable here)

I can't OC at all? Even then, the 4790K is $280 at Micro Center, so it's not that big of a price difference from the (in this case) lesser Xeon.

Also, stainless steel is an extremely stable metal. It's why we use it for everything in the food service industry, it's very tough and non-corrosive.

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

It's $280 at Micro Center.

8 hours ago, alexcheetah said:

AW11 MR2

Bingo! :)

8 hours ago, Droidbot said:

God damn. It looks like a mix of AE86 and MX5, it's really cool.. 

Haha, never thought of it that way. Just think of it as a mid engine Miata. Oh, and it's way more fun than a Miata.

On 4/9/2017 at 5:57 AM, byalexandr said:

I can't OC at all? Even then, the 4790K is $280 at Micro Center, so it's not that big of a price difference from the (in this case) lesser Xeon.

Unfortunately not with a B85 chipset motherboard, no.

If you're planning to OC (and with a sweet water-cooling setup, why not go for it?), you'd need a Z-series chipset. For Haswell, that is Z97, I think. That's for easier multiplier-based overclocking though. I think you can still BCLK overclock (turning up the base clock from 100 MHz upwards), but it's harder and it affects more than just the CPU, such as RAM speed, which can make it a bit more complex to deal with.

CodeMaster (Name Due for Update):

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.6GHz | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | RAM: 24GBs Crucial DDR3-1600

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce OC | Case: Fractal Design Define S | PSU: Corsair AX860i

On 9.4.2017 at 6:26 AM, Energycore said:

Well, OP is one obvious option.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

8 hours ago, RezidentSeagull said:

Unfortunately not with a B85 chipset motherboard, no.

If you're planning to OC (and with a sweet water-cooling setup, why not go for it?), you'd need a Z-series chipset. For Haswell, that is Z97, I think. That's for easier multiplier-based overclocking though. I think you can still BCLK overclock (turning up the base clock from 100 MHz upwards), but it's harder and it affects more than just the CPU, such as RAM speed, which can make it a bit more complex to deal with.

I've actually decided on changing it to a Xeon E3-1231v3. I've always liked the Xeons and the price is great, only $240 plus it gives me the performance I need. I'm not really concerned with overclocking the CPU, it's the GPU that I'd like to have the most performance out of.

3 hours ago, Urishima said:

Well, OP is one obvious option.

Umm....

Alright! I have all the components I need sorted out. I also figured out the tubing runs, big thanks to Paul's Hardware since I'm literally copying his tubing runs.

58ed0855478e6_PartsList.PNG.9bef18e3fe2dbe142917220569ef3d2b.PNG

Pretty expensive but that's what happens when you use stainless steel tubing and really nice cooling components. That cost is with shipping and tax and everything though.

For the components I will be picking up a GTX 1080 from Gigabyte as well as a Xeon E3-1231v3 this Thursday. The watercooling components will take a little bit of time to collect together so it may be a few weeks before I actually have the loop running. I also need to get a tubing bender from Amazon.

This is how the tubing will be run:

20170411_114424.thumb.jpg.45b9ad361d5e5ed4b415b38cf198fdc9.jpg

Just have to wait a couple days for my paycheck. In the meantime I will get started on cleaning out the chassis and taking off all the stickers and such. :)

Stay tuned!

That looks like it's going to be an awesome loop!  It's unfortunate that things add up so fast

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

47 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

That looks like it's going to be an awesome loop!  It's unfortunate that things add up so fast

Yeah I might have to buy things separately instead of all at once. Also I was thinking of whether it's really worth it for the 1080 since I only play at 1080p. I do like the 1070's price tag and it's still a performer, but less bragging rights come with that xD

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, some changes to the build, I had some other stuff come up so I haven't invested in this quite yet.

First off, I am going with a Ryzen 5 1600X, since Biostar released their new ITX AM4 board. I will have to wait for that to be in stock, so I'll hold off on the the 1600X for now as well. Along with that I will be changing the CPU block to a Supremacy EVO instead of the MX. 16GB of Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200MHz will be going in.

GPU is changing to an RX 480, or an RX 580 if EK releases a block for it. For now though it's going to be a 480, which I am fine with at 1080p. That or I might get a Fury X, or maybe a Radeon Pro Duo if I can find one for a decent price. I would rather have an AMD card in this system.

That's all for now, I know I haven't been updating but I can assure the build will be done before I head off to college in the fall.

Another update, I found an R9 Fury Nitro for $200 so I will no doubt be getting that instead. I will need to source a waterblock for it, preferably an EK acetal/nickel block but I will have to see. I am meeting with the guy this coming Monday so if all works out I will have an all AMD Ryzen/Fury build :)

I am going to wait until I have all of the hardware in order before I start ordering the parts I need for the loop, just to make sure everything will work correctly. The loop layout will not be changing though.

Another update, I found an R9 Fury Nitro for $200 so I will no doubt be getting that instead. I will need to source a waterblock for it, preferably an EK acetal/nickel block but I will have to see. I am meeting with the guy this coming Monday so if all works out I will have an all AMD Ryzen/Fury build :)

I am going to wait until I have all of the hardware in order before I start ordering the parts I need for the loop, just to make sure everything will work correctly. The loop layout will not be changing though.

If I remember correctly....EK didn't make any waterblock for custom PCB Fury cards. 

And if I also remember correctly, the Sapphire Nitro are custom PCB. 

If you do want EK WB for a Fury card, it has to have a reference PCB such as the Sapphire Tri-X, or any XFX Fury. 

If I remember correctly....EK didn't make any waterblock for custom PCB Fury cards. 

And if I also remember correctly, the Sapphire Nitro are custom PCB. 

If you do want EK WB for a Fury card, it has to have a reference PCB such as the Sapphire Tri-X, or any XFX Fury. 

Hmm... Are there any blocks for the Fury Nitro?

i THINK Alphacool might have one but it's not really a full cover, its an alphacool gpx core with passive cooling for the remainder of the card

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Just now, 0ld_Chicken said:

i THINK Alphacool might have one but it's not really a full cover, its an alphacool gpx core with passive cooling for the remainder of the card

Yeah that's the only one I've seen too. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to do that then, if half the card will be passively cooled anyway.... :/

I definitely want the Fury Nitro though, it's a good deal at $200. Maybe I can machine my own GPU block out of some stainless steel? Shouldn't be too hard, I can model the part in CAD and then have it CNC machined.

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah that's the only one I've seen too. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to do that then, if half the card will be passively cooled anyway.... :/

I definitely want the Fury Nitro though, it's a good deal at $200. Maybe I can machine my own GPU block out of some stainless steel? Shouldn't be too hard, I can model the part in CAD and then have it CNC machined.

I don't think they're that bad, kinda sexy in their own way.  Assuming they're the same core design as the r9 290 and GTX 980 versions, they are more restrictive than most blocks, but core temps are usually a little better than most blocks.  VRM cooling doesn't look terrible, though still quite a bit higher.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/03/alphacool-nexxxos-gpx-gtx-980-m02-with-backplate-review/3/

I was temped to buy a nitro a while back cause the prices were not much higher than they are now.  Just couldn't do the block though.  I'd love to see a custom GPU block, those are always fun to watch!  Very time consuming and tedious if you want good results though.  It'd be cheaper for me to buy a different card with better block availability than make a custom gpu block.  You may have better access to that type of stuff though