Antivirus Boot Time Impact

Go to solution Solved by Droidbot,
Just now, Aereldor said:

It is a home machine, but I have to use it for other stuff. Does MalwareBytes offer scan on right click for files, folders, and drives? 

58e7696d10fe9_jkhfsdlalhkajsdfjlklkhjasdfhlk.PNG.62809cac3cfd4b792689ea08f9d1e6ec.PNG

Greetings.

How much of an impact does your antivirus have on your boot time? I moved from AVG's free version to Avast's free version, and was curious as to how much time an antivirus would add to the boot time if it was enabled as a startup process.

Is the 'BIOS time' indicator in the corner of the startup menu an accurate representation of this? 

Regards,

Aereldor.

11 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Indeed the antivirus adds some seconds to the boot time. Not sure how much but it surely adds.(you might feel that your pc is slower than before using the antivirus when you are using a hard drive instead of a ssd.)

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

After disabling Antivirus on startup, the boot time decreased from 1 minute more to 10-15 seconds. Using hard drive and Avast Antivirus.

If you want to enable the antivirus, I suggest you to launch the antivirus program after booting.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

14 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

After disabling Antivirus on startup, the boot time decreased from 1 minute more to 10-15 seconds. Using hard drive and Avast Antivirus.

If you want to enable the antivirus, I suggest you to launch the antivirus program after booting.

Sure, one click can't hurt. I've disabled it.

Thank you!

Just don't use an antivirus full stop. I haven't used or bought one for 2-3 years and I just use MBAM Free for occasional scans of my PC. Keeps it fast, smooth, and I don't have to worry about it killing my frames because it wants to scan my game drives or stealing my game exes like Avast has done many, many times

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Just don't use an antivirus full stop. I haven't used or bought one for 2-3 years and I just use MBAM Free for occasional scans of my PC. Keeps it fast, smooth, and I don't have to worry about it killing my frames because it wants to scan my game drives or stealing my game exes like Avast has done many, many times

What about infected files? I have a lot of stuff going through my computer via other people's USB drives, and for some reason, my Windows Defender is broken and won't update.

Will MalwareBytes automatically detect threats when they emerge?

Just now, Aereldor said:

What about infected files? I have a lot of stuff going through my computer via other people's USB drives, and for some reason, my Windows Defender is broken and won't update.

Will MalwareBytes automatically detect threats when they emerge?

Ah, it will not. For something like that I'd run an AV, but for a home machine I wouldn't :P 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Ah, it will not. For something like that I'd run an AV, but for a home machine I wouldn't :P 

It is a home machine, but I have to use it for other stuff. Does MalwareBytes offer scan on right click for files, folders, and drives? 

Just now, Aereldor said:

58e7696d10fe9_jkhfsdlalhkajsdfjlklkhjasdfhlk.PNG.62809cac3cfd4b792689ea08f9d1e6ec.PNG

idk

Just now, Aereldor said:

Also, @Droidbot- MalwareBytes free is limited to 14 days...

That's the 'Pro Trial' - giving you 24/7 on-demand scanning, etc. Not needed for me, so I didn't take it during install. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

That's the 'Pro Trial' - giving you 24/7 on-demand scanning, etc. Not needed for me, so I didn't take it during install. 

Got it. I'm switching over, and I'm happy to be rid of Avast. Do you have it on the list of startup programs? 

Just now, Aereldor said:

Got it. I'm switching over, and I'm happy to be rid of Avast. Do you have it on the list of startup programs? 

Nope, not at all. 

idk

26 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Nope, not at all. 

Alright. Damn it, now I have to uninstall Avast using their stupid, roundabout method of booting into safe mode.

Best way to boot into safe mod on Windows 8.1?

54 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

Alright. Damn it, now I have to uninstall Avast using their stupid, roundabout method of booting into safe mode.

Best way to boot into safe mod on Windows 8.1?

Find the power off button, hold shift and hit reboot

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Find the power off button, hold shift and hit reboot

I use msconfig. 

I don't know why I asked that, what I meant to ask was if there was a way to do it without booting into safe mode. Derp.