Water Cooling ?

Col

Set up with 2600k at 4.4ghz on air with temps maxed out at 59c prime on Noctua NH-U12P SE2 with NF-F12 single fan .

Sure I could push it way further but 4.4 is a sweet spot

Can someone please tell me the point of water cooling because I just don't get it ?

Cos people are enthusiasts. Why do some people do up their car to make it look good, or tune it to make it more powerful?

Been often said, a great air cooler can give great temps. I like water cooling for the looks, silence, etc. Something to do. :) Plus a custom loop allows me to get those noisy GPU's cooled - there is where you see real changes...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Water cooling is great because it is quiet, and you could probably push that CPU to 1.55 volts without a problem, running a custom loop.

Water cooling will out perform any air cooling solution if the loop is done properly with the right amount of rad. Temps under load and higher voltages is where water excels compared to air.

Water cooling is great because it is quiet, and you could probably push that CPU to 1.55 volts without a problem, running a custom loop.

FYI - Intel recommends 1.4V as the MAX voltage for 24/7 overclocks...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I recommend you check out the first section "Should I water cool" section of the watercocoling FAQ. That says it all.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

To add onto that; its because high voltages,, even at low temps can damage the CPU over time.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

with ivy bridge, you can run above 1.4V pretty easily. I'd cap it at 1.5V.

You can - with SB and IB I went "well" above 1.4 for extreme testing. But don't run it 7/24. You will simply degrade your CPU at a wicked rate, like Ghost says, regardless of temps...

haha thought I would get some grief with this thread , fair enough them water loops look good .

People water cool typically for one of two reasons or possibly both. Quiet operation/silence and temps. You get way lower temps in a properly set up loop and your system will run way quieter. I can run Prime95 for hours on blend and the hottest I've seen my CPU hit was 50 Celsius. Same goes for Linpack/OCCT.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

air cooling is fine for you because 4.4 GHz is all you want. many, many people want higher than 4.4 GHz (honestly, 4.4 GHz shouldn't really be called an overclock - I've never seen a 2600K NOT reach that). It's that simple.

Had it to 4.8 GHz think temps went to 70 c ,do I need Water ?

Never tried 5GHZ on air with my system ,, post some volts I need to use and I give it a go , will post some screen shots of how it goes , primed out could be interesting