Sennheiser HD 201 user considering upgrade

rambol

I’ve been using the Sennheiser HD 201 (with onboard sound) for a couple of years and am generally pleased with them for home listening: gaming, music (FLAC/320kbps MP3) and movies. After a lot of research, I settled on upgrading to the Sennheiser HD 650—it seems to be highly regarded in audiophile circles—and I will have saved enough to buy them (and a FiiO E10) for Christmas. However, I am having second thoughts. I realise value is subjective but is the price of the HD 650 over, say, the HD 558, justified by their performance?

I recently had the chance to trial the HD 598, HD 700 and HD 800 (connected to a high end amp and DAC, though I don’t recall which models). While the listening environment wasn’t ideal, I honestly wasn’t blown away by any of them (which made for a very sad budding audiophile). Maybe the source material was crap or I should have brought my existing headphones for side-by-side comparison. Maybe I’m just going deaf. Regardless, it’s prompted me to reevaluate my options. Any input would be appreciated!

That's because the HD 800 isn't that great, the HD 700 is worse, and if you look at the graphs, the 558/598/HD600 measure nearly identical. That's why I don't like sennhesier.

If you are really stuck on sennhesier, the HD 558 is the best value, and if you are stuck on getting something high end from them, get the HD 600. It's widley known that the 600/650 sound nearly identical.

There are much better headphones out there, I would keep looking.

That's because the HD 800 isn't that great, the HD 700 is worse, and if you look at the graphs, the 558/598/HD600 measure nearly identical. That's why I don't like sennhesier.

If you are really stuck on sennhesier, the HD 558 is the best value, and if you are stuck on getting something high end from them, get the HD 600. It's widley known that the 600/650 sound nearly identical.

Or even going for the HD580 which is basically a discontinued HD600. Considering almost all of the HD600 is replaceable, getting a used HD580 for super cheap could be a great option. I am also of the opinion that there are better headphones for the money

HOWEVER, as is with the land of audio, it is all preference, some people love the sennheiser sound, and to those people, other headphones won't fulfill what they desire. It takes a little bit of trying everything to find what you prefer, and once you do choices get much easier :) 

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Prices in the states are wildly different then what's in other countries, so it's hard to say.

DT 990's (with a good amp), HD 558's, AD700x are my general recommendations under $200 USD, but it's probably 25-50% more expensive in other countries.

Next tier would probably be AKG k712 65th Pro, or HE-400/500. 

You say that you don't like Sennhesier, does this just apply to the very high end, or to the hd 558 and 598 aswell?

If so what would you recommend for around the same price as the hd 558s

You say that you don't like Sennhesier, does this just apply to the very high end, or to the hd 558 and 598 aswell?

Just a tip, asking for advice in another thread is generally not a good idea, just create a new thread of use the search function :) 

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

They all sound the same, so I guess by default I don't like sennheiser. I've tried everything from the 555-600. They're all within difference the same. 

DT 990's and AD700x's are the same price tier.

That's a pretty bold and cool statement. I will actually have to rethink some things if what you say is true.

I'm not trying to derail the topic but if I may ask what's your opinion on AKG?

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

That's a pretty bold and cool statement. I will actually have to rethink some things if what you say is true.

I'm not trying to derail the topic but if I may ask what's your opinion on AKG?

You want another secret? With some really rare exceptions, $1000+ high end headphones sound the same if not worse than normal $100-$300 headphones. I purchased the beyerdynamic T1's and they sounded worse than my DT 990's. The only headphone that's worth the $1000, are the LCD2's. 

AKG is fine, no problems with them. They make phenomenal headphones for nearly every price point.

Thanks very much for your advice; maybe I should trust my ears more. :)

The AKG K550 has some positive reviews and it's priced similarly to the HD 558 in the UK. Do you have any opinion on them?

Thanks very much for your advice; maybe I should trust my ears more. :)

The AKG K550 has some positive reviews and it's priced similarly to the HD 558 in the UK. Do you have any opinion on them?

Hope you like treble!

I use the HD650s, they're not super bassy though if you really enjoy bass.

Not a glowing review then?

Headphones are really subjective, I've never heard them before, but every review I've ever read said that their is a lot of treble. If the majority of people say something, I tend to believe them. Don't take my word for it, try them out yourself. Return them if you don't like them.

Mr Mayflower's just a Sennheiser hater.  :lol:

The 600 series will have more bass than your 201's, and personally, my 650's are my favorite headphone. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try out other brands, however - AKG K 701's (or Q 701's or K 702's) are simply magical in the high range. 

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to get a half-priced HD 518 this weekend (it seemed like a steal) and will be pairing it with a FiiO E10; just waiting on the delivery! I understand the 518, 558 and 598 all use the same drivers and their frequency response curves look similar so I'm excited to try the 518 out!

I had the HD650 a while back and also got a pair of HiFiMan HE-300. I found the HE-300 to be very comparable to the HD650 but with tighter bass and none of the HD650 veil. I can personally recommend the HE-300.