1080Ti Founder's Edition stock backplate + EK Block?

Hello,

I'd like to know if one can keep the stock backplate of the 1080Ti with an EK full cover block installed.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, LainVonDark said:

Hello,

I'd like to know if one can keep the stock backplate of the 1080Ti with an EK full cover block installed.

Thanks

The answer is no.

Just now, Deli said:

The answer is no.

Many thanks

18 minutes ago, Deli said:

The answer is no.

why not? i thought it was possible. you could just install the water block without removing the stock backplate right?

4 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

why not? i thought it was possible. you could just install the water block without removing the stock backplate right?

no, the cooler is held in with screws under the backplate so you'll have to remove it first.

I don't have a caliper here but the original screws look like they could fit in the EK block so you could theoretically mount the original backplate but I wouldn't trust my eyesight here

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Just now, Napper198 said:

no, the cooler is held in with screws under the backplate so you'll have to remove it first.

I don't have a caliper here but the original screws look like they could fit in the EK block so you could theoretically mount the original backplate but I wouldn't trust my eyesight here

I guess I will just try it and see if it works or not. How does the EK backplate work then?

Just now, LainVonDark said:

I guess I will just try it and see if it works or not. How does the EK backplate work then?

the nvidia backplate is screwed in with tiny screws into the screws that hold the cooler to the card.

EKs backplate replaces some of the waterblocks screws with longer ones so the backplate is actually screwed to the cooler with the card sandwiched.

This basically. same principle:

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

the nvidia backplate is screwed in with tiny screws into the screws that hold the cooler to the card.

EKs backplate replaces some of the waterblocks screws with longer ones so the backplate is actually screwed to the cooler with the card sandwiched.

This basically. same principle:

So I assume that using the EK backplate's longer screws with the 1080Ti's own original backplate would work? I also assume however, that the holes on the plate would have to be widened, and potentially voiding the warranty.

1 minute ago, LainVonDark said:

So I assume that using the EK backplate's longer screws with the 1080Ti's own original backplate would work? I also assume however, that the holes on the plate would have to be widened, and potentially voiding the warranty.

you get the longer screws with the backplate sou you'd have to buy it anyway so I'd try the originals screws in the waterblock first or you'll have to buy them yourself.

you get the longer screws with the backplate sou you'd have to buy it anyway so I'd try the originals screws in the waterblock first or you'll have to buy them yourself.

I will be purchasing the EK backplate regardless, so I can try all configurations. When I do I will come back and report.

Regardless, thank you very much for your input

13 minutes ago, LainVonDark said:

I will be purchasing the EK backplate regardless, so I can try all configurations. When I do I will come back and report.

why get a backplate though? the staff at EKWB who helped me pick my parts out for my TitanX maxwell said that it's mainly for asthetics and has no effect on temps or whatever. i did get one but it ended up being a wrong model and i returned it. now my titanx sits without a backplatexD don't think im gonna get one anywayz

6 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

why get a backplate though? the staff at EKWB who helped me pick my parts out for my TitanX maxwell said that it's mainly for asthetics and has no effect on temps or whatever. i did get one but it ended up being a wrong model and i returned it. now my titanx sits without a backplatexD don't think im gonna get one anywayz

Exactly that

38 minutes ago, vaiwalker said:

The waterblock will do most of not all the cooling. However, there are four pieces of thermal pad that contacts the back side of the PCB to the backplate.

50 minutes ago, LainVonDark said:

I built mine two days ago. There are a couple of location that use longer screws. The original standoff/screw might not be long enough. But if you are ok with missing a couple of screws. I guess it is doable.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

The waterblock will do most of not all the cooling. However, there are four pieces of thermal pad that contacts the back side of the PCB to the backplate.

Backplates have been proven time and time again to not influence cooling in any meaningful way. The only reason I would prefer the stock backplate is because it has the 1080Ti branding on it, whereas the EK one has GTX Titan branding.

35 minutes ago, LainVonDark said:

Backplates have been proven time and time again to not influence cooling in any meaningful way. The only reason I would prefer the stock backplate is because it has the 1080Ti branding on it, whereas the EK one has GTX Titan branding.

Ek is releasing 1080ti blocks and backplates this week! Just hold off and get the proper gear

Edit: https://www.ekwb.com/news/official-list-ek-water-blocks-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-series/

Preorder starts tomorrow and shipping a week after that i believe

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

8 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Ek is releasing 1080ti blocks and backplates this week! Just hold off and get the proper gear

Edit: https://www.ekwb.com/news/official-list-ek-water-blocks-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-series/

Holy hell, that is amazing. I had literally just e-mailed them to ask that exact question. Thank you!

I assume the single slot bracket will be either included or be sold separately as well?

2 hours ago, LainVonDark said:

Wow, I only state there are thermal pads for the EK backplate. I'm not here to argue whether the backplate helps or hurts cooling.

I spend time to answer your question. At least a little nicer on me, please.

19 minutes ago, Deli said:

Wow, I only state there are thermal pads for the EK backplate. I'm not here to argue whether the backplate helps or hurts cooling.

I spend time to answer your question. At least a little nicer on me, please.

I don't believe I was rude in any way though, if it came across that way I apologize.

2 hours ago, LainVonDark said:

Holy hell, that is amazing. I had literally just e-mailed them to ask that exact question. Thank you!

I assume the single slot bracket will be either included or be sold separately as well?

No problem.  The single slot will be available separately.  Not sure if it is included

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

4 hours ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

from the looks of it it is still the same block (at least the FE) as the Titan XP only with 1080ti engraving and no cutout for the DVI port?

I thought about being upset for a second but then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would work if you managed to get screws identical to the ones EK uses in their backplate, but otherwise it would not.

If you have vram on the back of the card, like a titanx Maxwell, it does  help cooling. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand basic physics and needs to learn.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I have the Titan back plate and actually tried to see if the original backplate would work.  The screws and the holes are not compatible. I'm sure you could rig something up, but I'm not sure how good it would look.   The EK backplate did come with four thermal pads and my thought process is, there is some heat that is generated from the backside of the card and if the thermal pads help dissipate over the metal of the EK waterblock a little better, I'm good with that.  The Founders edition backplate is more plastic with no thermal pads.

Overall My guess is there will be probably little or no effect in heat dissipation.  For me it was more about aesthetics.  No reason to have a nice see through, acrylic side and see all the green PCB and board on the other side. :)

That being said, I am looking to flip my GPU vertically.  I have a coolermaster bracket that will allow me to do this, I just need to find a PCI to M.2 bracket like the Asus Hyper mini that can fit behind it as I need at least one PCI-e lane for an M.2 drive. 

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i