Should I keep my Intel Core i5 3570?

I bought myself a used i5 3570 back in January for about $80 and I haven't really followed it up with other parts just yet. With the release of Kaby Lake and Ryzen, I'm worried that I might have made a mistake in purchasing a 3rd generation i5. Should I just sell it for a new $80 current generation equivalent or should I still pursue building a system around it? 

Thanks in advance!

Yeah I'd go for something new. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Yes and no

Yes if you can sell it for that and your fine with spending the money  

No because you have your whole system put together and you might want to wait for ryzen bugs to go away 

5 minutes ago, Fourple said:

I bought myself a used i5 3570 back in January for about $80 and I haven't really followed it up with other parts just yet. With the release of Kaby Lake and Ryzen, I'm worried that I might have made a mistake in purchasing a 3rd generation i5. Should I just sell it for a new $80 current generation equivalent or should I still pursue building a system around it? 

Thanks in advance!

It's fine, 80 dolllars for a core i5 is not a bad deal. If you sell it you won't be getting much out of it. At that price point best is a core i3, a 3rd gen i5 would still better

1155 mobos are rare and you'll have a hard time finding one that will work reliably down the line but if you do then it's a very solid cpu for 80$. Alternatively you can try to sell it and get a Haswell one for the same price and 1150 boards are still being sold in most places 

Just now, light-v said:

1155 mobos are rare and you'll have a hard time finding one that will work reliably down the line but if you do then it's a very solid cpu for 80$. Alternatively you can try to sell it and get a Haswell one for the same price and 1150 boards are still being sold in most places 

Haswell i5's (used or new) don't really go for $80 where I live. :( The used condition ones are usually sold for $140 here. 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

It's fine, 80 dolllars for a core i5 is not a bad deal. If you sell it you won't be getting much out of it. At that price point best is a core i3, a 3rd gen i5 would still better

I'll definitely take that into consideration. Thank you! :)

80$ for Ivy Bridge i5 is not a bad deal. Its definitely better than G4560 KL Pentium, which is the sub-100$ CPU of choice these days. The problem will be motherboard. 1155 is old socket, your choice would be limited, and even then - older motherboard design means you will give up on some stuff, like USB 3.1 Type-C, m.2 that can work in x4 PCI-E mode, and such - those features were only found on very high end motherboards at the time 1155 was relevant, and even then, not on every board.

What will your PC be used for?

still better than my 3350P lol. Wish I had found a good one for 80 bucks.

Just now, chopdok said:

80$ for Ivy Bridge i5 is not a bad deal. Its definitely better than G4560 KL Pentium, which is the sub-100$ CPU of choice these days. The problem will be motherboard. 1155 is old socket, your choice would be limited, and even then - older motherboard design means you will give up on some stuff, like USB 3.1 Type-C, m.2 that can work in x4 PCI-E mode, and such - those features were only found on very high end motherboards at the time 1155 was relevant, and even then, not on every board.

What will your PC be used for?

Mostly for gaming and light music editing. Yeah, I'm having trouble finding a mint condition 1155 motherboard as well. There are still a few shops that sell them, but they're a bit too far away from where I live. I'm also just fine with a simple build with an HDD (probably an SSD in the future) since I'm building on a budget. :) Thanks for your response!