Switching to Linux for my every day computing needs.

Besides gaming.

I think this is a better step, i want more privacy online, i want more control over my computer, i want to be able to stop something taking over my computer.

I will pride myself on being "street smart" with browsing the internet but even that i fail at.. got some virus known as Launchpage.org and now i just can't be bothered to continue cleaning Windows for clicking a link i had no idea was even bad.

But on top of this Windows 10 is just a magnifying glass with backdoors to share whatever i'm doing.

Not really bothered, but it bothers me that these fuckers can see my passwords and everything i type and do.

So with that said i am looking at Linux Mint KDE 64 bit, is this a good distro to start with?

I have a intel xeon cpu and a 1070 i hope this makes you salty.

7 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

Besides gaming.

I think this is a better step, i want more privacy online, i want more control over my computer, i want to be able to stop something taking over my computer.

I will pride myself on being "street smart" with browsing the internet but even that i fail at.. got some virus known as Launchpage.org and now i just can't be bothered to continue cleaning Windows for clicking a link i had no idea was even bad.

But on top of this Windows 10 is just a magnifying glass with backdoors to share whatever i'm doing.

Not really bothered, but it bothers me that these fuckers can see my passwords and everything i type and do.

So with that said i am looking at Linux Mint KDE 64 bit, is this a good distro to start with?

xubuntu is my favourite.

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

4 minutes ago, nobiggieBIG said:

xubuntu is my favourite.

I have looked it up and will download this via Torrent, ease of use is something i will need coming from Windows and i will educate myself on Linux and how to use it correctly.

Right this moment everything is in italic thanks to this dumbass Virus.. SpyHunter 4 has found it and will be removed but i'm hopping OS to Linux on my other HDD then will format this drive with a fresh copy of Windows and i will lock it down completely only for gaming use, i will remove all broswers, because you don't need them.

19 hours ago, Aphexxis said:

i want more control over my computer, i want to be able to stop something taking over my computer.

systemd will thwart your approach.

Use BSD.

Write in C.

Turns out Linux is a no go.. just won't work at all on my system, the only distro i got close to installing was Ubuntu and even that fucked up after install.

On Windows 7 right now and can't upgrade to 10 because it throws some bullshit signed driver error at startup after installation.

Just now, Dat Guy said:

What is the error?

Can't get any distro to work burned to a disc or off of USB, it will  either crash or restart th ePC over and over again.

The Windows 10 error is just some retardation.

Nobody can help you with "bullshit signed driver error" unless you provide details.

1 minute ago, Aphexxis said:

Can't get any distro to work burned to a disc or off of USB, it will  either crash or restart th ePC over and over again.

Tried BSD?

Write in C.

I'm on the Ubuntu live disc right now since Windows 7 now won't boot after installing updates it BSOD's as it loads and never touches the OS, can't be repaired from disc and no way to solve the problem.

I'm just about done with the fucking lot TBH.

I don't understand what the flying fuck is going on...

OK, you ignore me, so I ignore you. Good luck.

Write in C.

2 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

OK, you ignore me, so I ignore you. Good luck.

Are you for real?

17 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

Are you for real?

He asked for an error code. Your tone is admitidly rash. I understand your computer concerns but he is trying to help. 

1. What is the error message when you upgrade to Windows 10

2. What is the error message when windows 7 updated

3. What is the error message when using Linux? 

4. What are the specs of your computer? (List all the physical parts.) 

14 minutes ago, fpo said:

He asked for an error code. Your tone is admitidly rash. I understand your computer concerns but he is trying to help. 

There are no error codes, the Windows BSOD is immediate and shown for a split second then PC restarts.

Right now Ubuntu is installed and it's a trashy OS, overly complex but not impossible.. just being objective..

I'm right now trying to find solutions to why Windows screwed up.

Hilarious that anyone mentions Linux for speed.. this is WAY slower than Win 10 ever was even with the virus included.

28 minutes ago, fpo said:

Xeon E5640 at stock right now because i reset the bios.

32GB DDR3 2000mhz

GTX 1070

Superflower 80 plus gold 1kw PSU.

On 4/2/2017 at 8:31 AM, Aphexxis said:

i want more privacy online

Don't go online. And if you have to, limit it.

i want more control over my computer, i want to be able to stop something taking over my computer.

Switching to Linux doesn't immediately give you this. If you give something permission, it will do what it wants. That is the basic principle of computer security.  The problem with Windows is that it trades off a little too much convenience (by allowing things to happen by default) for security. This is part of the reason why I use a standard account on my Windows machine.

And if you want more control over your computer, then I would suggest Gentoo Linux. You have to build the entire OS and the apps you want on your computer. The learning process should give you a better appreciation for how computers and OSes work in general.

25 minutes ago, Aphexxis said:

Right now Ubuntu is installed 

complex

1. Did you follow the instructions on Ubuntu's website? It can be a bit confusing, it took me about a day the first time I tried installing it the first time.

I don't know that it's actually slower, but if it works it works.

2. How old is your storage medium? (Your hard drive, or Solid State Drive[SSD]) Hard drives only last about 4 years most commonly. (Some can last longer or shorter life spans.)

3. What version of Ubuntu did you install? I want a verified version number as it can help diagnose what makes your computer slow or not.

4. Can you make a quick video recording to show what is slow? (Take out your phone, point the camera at the screen, and record a video then upload it to YouTube and post the link here.)

For the sake of other potential thread readers please number your replies to the corresponding questions. Thank you.

1 minute ago, fpo said:

1. Did you follow the instructions on Ubuntu's website? It can be a bit confusing, it took me about a day the first time I tried installing it the first time.

I don't know that it's actually slower, but if it works it works.

2. How old is your storage medium? (Your hard drive, or Solid State Drive[SSD]) Hard drives only last about 4 years most commonly. (Some can last longer or shorter life spans.)

3. What version of Ubuntu did you install? I want a verified version number as it can help diagnose what makes your computer slow or not.

4. Can you make a quick video recording to show what is slow? (Take out your phone, point the camera at the screen, and record a video then upload it to YouTube and post the link here.)

For the sake of other potential thread readers please number your replies to the corresponding questions. Thank you.

Drives are fine i was able to run chkdisk but cannot fix anything related to the actual OS, was able to do this in CMD with my Windows installation media.

I am about to burn a Windows 7 image i got from a less than legal place because i can't get my legit one to work at all, i will just input my key when i install it, the disc may be bad.

Ok guys i am up and running with a VERY basic Windows 7 Ultimate install, key worked !

I have taken all my system memory out and put the sticks into my other PC and have memtest86 doing extensive testing on all sticks, and have just plonked in some no name hynix 1866 memory in for now.

Untitled.png.fd92144ddf0ff78c6b1c5c1570d785c3.png

If you ever had Windows 10 activated on that PC you can just reinstall it without needing a key FYI. No need to first install W7.

My rigs:

Spoiler

NEW Ryzinator build:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 9 3950X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 @ DDR4-3066

Storage: (3x) Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5", Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280

PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750

Additional fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan

Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 Dual OC 4GB

Display: MSI 27L Optix MAG272QP @ 165Hz

OLD Build (SOLD):

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX (VRM overheating, don't buy) RAM: 8GB Kingston ValueRAM GPU: Onboard ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics Case: Corsair Obsidian 500D Storage: Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB, 119GB SAMSUNG MMCRE28G5MXP-0VBH1 (SSD), 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AZRX-00L4HB0 (SATA)  PSU: Be quiet! - Straight Power 10 400 Watt Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 

Retro gaming build:

CPU: Intel Pentium 3 Coppermine @ 800MHz Motherboard: Asus P2B i440BX BIOS 1012 FSB: 133 MHz RAM: 1x 128MB Hynix PC133 SDR SDRAM GPU: ATi Radeon 9200 256MB AGP Case: Full Tower case (unbranded) Storage: CompactFlash card to IDE converter (16GB card) Sound Card: Aztech 2320 ISA Cooling: Stock heatsink fan OS: Windows 98 Second Edition

8 minutes ago, MSWindowsinside said:

If you ever had Windows 10 activated on that PC you can just reinstall it without needing a key FYI. No need to first install W7.

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

@ myself.