Cleaning OEM Cooler

Hi! So recently my computer started sounding like 3 lawnmowers.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/760464-just-2-cores-overheating/

So I decided to replace the shitty OEM thermal paste with some Cooler Master V1 IC Value.

And while I was removing the cooler also cleaned it, to clean it I used a toothbrush and a screwdriver.

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.3a9b6e28abe5cc7a2b8fd3340331f683.JPGIMG_0324.thumb.JPG.5cc04ddf056de39931acfe3414c409f6.JPG

So ofc the first first thing to do is open the computer....

IMG_0316.thumb.JPG.ab700034c5db1735df050532d71f1552.JPGIMG_0318.thumb.JPG.0bebde7f9fa0b528786ddc698d17ddff.JPGIMG_0322.thumb.JPG.9e68bcbcfce960d3ddd3563cfe9f350a.JPG

Sorry for all of the cable mess. This case has no cable management possibilities.

So after removing the CPU cooler I took my toilet paper and windscreen washer fluid.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.ee881f452706719b77a1f9b61622bea5.JPG

Then I just dropped some on the cooler and started rubbing away the thermal paste with the toilet paper.

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.ccfad96128c9ecf0bd59b8c12b7a2788.JPGIMG_0335.thumb.JPG.81ea1991baf7db999863c497affce88f.JPGIMG_0336.thumb.JPG.1263e6fd9b50ab95a1369f218b2d5e47.JPG

Then I cleaned of the thermal paste from the CPU using the same method.

IMG_0345.thumb.JPG.8e44ebef4dfb8bd7b26bd56c6dafcbf9.JPG

And I took the toothbrush and cleaned of the heatsink and the fan.

IMG_0339.thumb.JPG.544b5c9705420865c25f6f36a709a7ff.JPGIMG_0346.thumb.JPG.f37e5821d1a5748458db7b246859f610.JPG

Now I just put the thermal paste on the CPU and screwed the heatsink back.

IMG_0348.thumb.JPG.74c2045c9a552fd37eb9015dce37ca81.JPGIMG_0352.thumb.JPG.adb652d92e523eefa54e730455f29cbd.JPGIMG_0357.thumb.JPG.74f3a47aeb4ef4dab95770d415c1a07e.JPG

And that is pretty much it.

Thanks for reading.

All images was taken with my Canon EOS600d

hi

Did you get rid of your lawnmower sounds? Because lawnmower sounds usually mean a busted fan. Also, it did need some cleaning. I'd advice to at least check for dust every 6 months or so.

Minus the windscreen cleaning liquid, it's the same way how I clean my hardware. Even same kind/colour of toothbrush lol. The only thing I do different is... I sometimes get the fan off my cooling block itself, and just clean it with a degreaser. Spraying it on alot, and then cleaning it using running water. About an hour or 2 on the room heater of maybe some time in the oven, and it's dry again, ready to be mounted. (I can't surfive that long without my pc...)

Why I did this complicated way of cleaning my CPU cooler? Check my ghetto case mod project thingy. It's delicate.

Just now, dnf said:

mate .. I don't care about the method, the amount is way to little

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Did you get rid of your lawnmower sounds? Because lawnmower sounds usually mean a busted fan. Also, it did need some cleaning. I'd advice to at least check for dust every 6 months or so.

Minus the windscreen cleaning liquid, it's the same way how I clean my hardware. Even same kind/colour of toothbrush lol. The only thing I do different is... I sometimes get the fan off my cooling block itself, and just clean it with a degreaser. Spraying it on alot, and then cleaning it using running water. About an hour or 2 on the room heater of maybe some time in the oven, and it's dry again, ready to be mounted. (I can't surfive that long without my pc...)

Why I did this complicated way of cleaning my CPU cooler? Check my ghetto case mod project thingy. It's delicate.

I checked out your ghetto case mod before and it looks frkin dope. I actually removed the fan from the heatsink but I didnt run it under water. I did that when I cleaned my old Core 2 Duo system though.

Also yes I got rid of the lawnmower sound.

hi

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

mate .. I don't care about the method, the amount is way to little

DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEO?

I used more than the recommended amount. 

hi

Just now, dnf said:

DID YOU WATCH THE VIDEO?

I used more than the recommended amount. 

the video!? I suggest you watch the video and look at the results of way to little paste

what you put on that CPU, that's way too little 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the video!? I suggest you watch the video and look at the results of way to little paste

what you put on that CPU, that's way too little 

That is the recommended amount by Overclock.net.

Bildresultat för thermal paste recommended amount

hi

1 minute ago, dnf said:

That is the recommended amount by Overclock.net.

Bildresultat för thermal paste recommended amount

star-trek-face-palm-picard.jpg

put the cooler back on and gently remove it, now look at the surface area of the spread paste

Just now, zMeul said:

star-trek-face-palm-picard.jpg

My temps right now are 52 °C. I would say that indicates that its a pretty good amount of thermal paste.

hi

Just now, dnf said:

My temps right now are 52 °C. I would say that indicates that its a pretty good amount of thermal paste.

read my previous post

also, 52 in what?!?! IDLE? Prime95 / AIDA? what CPU? no ?!?!? details -_-

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

read my previous post

also, 52 in what?!?! IDLE? Prime95 / AIDA? what CPU? no ?!?!? details -_-

Read my signature its a c2q @ 2.5 ghz (stock speed).

52 @ idle.

hi

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

I don't have signatures enabled

if it's a C2Q, you should use the horizontal line: http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/hl/intel_app_method_horizontal_line_v1.1.pdf

g73CooX.png

With 60c at stress test with CPU-Z I think that its a good application of thermal paste compared to my old 72c at stress testing.

hi

And considering it was a lawnmower before, and considering it's a stock cooler... I'd say: good enough! (can be better, but it's good enough)

Just now, dnf said:

With 60c at stress test with CPU-Z I think that its a good application of thermal paste compared to my old 72c at stress testing.

you compare dusty fan and radiator with a clean one and you conclude the amount of paste was enough O.o 

@zMeul If his cores are ~the same temp under same load, it's good enough in my book.

Just now, zMeul said:

you compare dusty fan and radiator with a clean one and you conclude the amount of paste was enough O.o 

Before (when I bought my pre-built) the temps on load where 69c and that was the cooler was clean.

hi

Just now, dnf said:

Before (when I bought my pre-built) the temps on load where 69c and that was the cooler was clean.

Just to make it clear this Mobo, ram and CPU is from a prebuilt system.

hi

Also, the layer of paste should be as thin as possible. Those instructions talk about putting lots of it on there, so you need to buy new stuff moar often.

@zMeul I get the idea that you are a girl, considering you are whining like a b*tch. You can sit on my lap while you show me the difference between the two amounts irl. Only then I might be swayed with your idea.

*PS: I use ~the same amount. (but I can turn my cooler, so it spreads out moar)

6 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Also, the layer of paste should be as thin as possible. Those instructions talk about putting lots of it on there, so you need to buy new stuff moar often.

@zMeul I get the idea that you are a girl, considering you are whining like a b*tch. You can sit on my lap while you show me the difference between the two amounts irl. Only then I might be swayed with your idea.

*PS: I use ~the same amount. (but I can turn my cooler, so it spreads out moar)

blistering fools like you should live on what they preach, one grain of rice at a time ;)

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

blistering fools like you should live on what they preach, one grain of rice at a time ;)

Found a picture of your CPU...

Bildresultat för way too much thermal paste

hi