Possible to get virus of youtube scam without clicking link?

Ive always wondered this, but is there anyway? i see them all the time and never clicked on one, but is it possible?

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Console.WriteLine("C# is aids");

No.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nah you gotta click

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

@Enderman @Energycore what about if you hover over them, ive seen people reset their pcs over this shit

A8-7600 {} Gigabyte FM2+ Board {} CX430 {} Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb {} MSI GTX 760 2GB {}

Just now, nobiggieBIG said:

@Enderman @Energycore what about if you hover over them, ive seen people reset their pcs over this shit

No.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

No.

so they are harmless unless you click on them? alot of them lead to sites like sites(dot)google(com)

1 minute ago, nobiggieBIG said:

so they are harmless unless you click on them? alot of them lead to sites like sites(dot)google(com)

Yes.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes.

Come to think of it, if it was the case almost every pc in the world would be infected. ive reset my pc before because of it RIP

As long as you stayed on YouTube, you're definitely safe. Web browsers are a lot safer now, so you're unlikely to get anything from just visiting a website with HTML, CSS and Javascript, though there's always going to be some exploit every now and then. These days, bad guys on the web usually try to trick you into doing something without thinking. You might see things like "YOUR COMPUTER HAS A VIRUS" or "YOUR PC HAS ERRORS" or those fake chatboxes with a girl offering to service you. Another common scare tactic is to use a Javascript alert box that won't go away. If you ever feel like you've lost control of your browser, just use alt+F4 or open the task manager and kill your browser's main process. As long as you don't do what they tell you to, you should be safe.

19 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

As long as you stayed on YouTube, you're definitely safe. Web browsers are a lot safer now, so you're unlikely to get anything from just visiting a website with HTML, CSS and Javascript, though there's always going to be some exploit every now and then. These days, bad guys on the web usually try to trick you into doing something without thinking. You might see things like "YOUR COMPUTER HAS A VIRUS" or "YOUR PC HAS ERRORS" or those fake chatboxes with a girl offering to service you. Another common scare tactic is to use a Javascript alert box that won't go away. If you ever feel like you've lost control of your browser, just use alt+F4 or open the task manager and kill your browser's main process. As long as you don't do what they tell you to, you should be safe.

yeah, one time i went on to some typo swatting website... and that was that. I just was on some logic music video, and then i saw it, read it and scrolled back up to finish watching the video, wish there was a way to block these scam things.

2 hours ago, nobiggieBIG said:

yeah, one time i went on to some typo swatting website... and that was that. I just was on some logic music video, and then i saw it, read it and scrolled back up to finish watching the video, wish there was a way to block these scam things.

You can use an ad blocker. I recommend uBlock Origin or Bluhell Firewall. People such as YouTubers who use ads to make money won't make money off of you if you're using an ad blocker while you're looking at their content, but your browsing experience will be safer and faster. Depending on how advertisers pay the sites they advertise on, using an adblocker may not make a difference to their pockets if you never click on ads in the first place. I personally will never ever click on an ad. There's no way for me to know for sure that the website it will take me to is safe, even if it's an ad from a respectable company. There's no way to know if someone is posing as that company.

7 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

You can use an ad blocker. I recommend uBlock Origin or Bluhell Firewall. People such as YouTubers who use ads to make money won't make money off of you if you're using an ad blocker while you're looking at their content, but your browsing experience will be safer and faster. Depending on how advertisers pay the sites they advertise on, using an adblocker may not make a difference to their pockets if you never click on ads in the first place. I personally will never ever click on an ad. There's no way for me to know for sure that the website it will take me to is safe, even if it's an ad from a respectable company. There's no way to know if someone is posing as that company.

yeah exactly, i have two adblockers, the typical adblock plus and ublock origin, but things still come through in youtube comments, im just forever paranoid about viruses, i havent had them and i dont want people listening to me. and it was a comment of a comment, and i know on phone if you report a comment it disapears, so i tried to remove the main comment and the comment above it, but i never hovered or clicked on the comment in question. Why cant youtube sort their shit

1 hour ago, nobiggieBIG said:

yeah exactly, i have two adblockers, the typical adblock plus and ublock origin, but things still come through in youtube comments, im just forever paranoid about viruses, i havent had them and i dont want people listening to me. and it was a comment of a comment, and i know on phone if you report a comment it disapears, so i tried to remove the main comment and the comment above it, but i never hovered or clicked on the comment in question. Why cant youtube sort their shit

Oh, I wasn't talking about comment spammers. Those can't be blocked because they're comments, not ads. They're also all posted by bots. Dealing with bots without hurting the legit users is very hard. Also, don't use multiple ad blockers if you can help it. It generally won't be any more effective at blocking ads. The key to avoiding viruses and malware is really just recognizing a conman when you see one. If someone offers to do something good for you, but won't give details, don't trust them.

10 hours ago, noahdvs said:

Oh, I wasn't talking about comment spammers. Those can't be blocked because they're comments, not ads. They're also all posted by bots. Dealing with bots without hurting the legit users is very hard. Also, don't use multiple ad blockers if you can help it. It generally won't be any more effective at blocking ads. The key to avoiding viruses and malware is really just recognizing a conman when you see one. If someone offers to do something good for you, but won't give details, don't trust them.

What do most of the comment scammers do? spread malware? try and scam for money? just have a shit ton of ads on their page so they get ad money?

On 4/1/2017 at 8:47 AM, nobiggieBIG said:

What do most of the comment scammers do? spread malware? try and scam for money? just have a shit ton of ads on their page so they get ad money?

Yes to all 3.