Dell Raid Hard Drive Errors due to FAN SPEED ?!?!

So just got an email from Dell about the following 

Dell has discovered an issue where communication between the PowerEdge RAID controller and the iDrac does not request optimal fan speeds for certain hard drive models.

This could potentially result in excessive medium errors & hard drive failures.

Are they serious, i'm confused as to how fan speed would effect this considering that the fans are always at 100% and our powerdge servers like most are inside a room that's 17c ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Believe it or not, there are different fan settings, they aren't just 100% all the time, :P no matter how loud they may sound. You will discover this if your AC unit ever breaks and you have to go into that melting room!

Also, Dell cannot just assume that everyone has an AC room, they have to assume worst case scenario. I would say there is probably more to this than they are letting on, but I haven't seen this email...yet.

What model?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

i think by that they mean that sometimes it bugs out and makes the fan spin too slow, making stuff overheat. guessing in that instance you're either luckily unaffected or on the "faster than necessary" side of the sub-optimal fan speeds.

Dell PowerEdge Server iDrac Fan Speed - Communication between the PowerEdge RAID controller and the iDrac does not request optimal fan speeds for certain hard drive models.

Dear Valued Dell Customer:

This email is part of Dell’s commitment to proactively notify customers of important updates relating to products purchased from Dell or a Dell authorized reseller. 

Dell has discovered an issue where communication between the PowerEdge RAID controller and the iDrac does not request optimal fan speeds for certain hard drive models. This could potentially result in excessive medium errors & hard drive failures.

whoops

Per below, to address the issue, we highly recommend applying an updated iDrac module firmware version 2.40.40.40 or later which is available on www.dell.com/support.

The new iDrac firmware version 2.40.40.40 can be downloaded from the following link: 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2091K

Applying this updated iDrac firmware will correct the potential issue.

Please note the iDrac firmware update will require a system reboot to take effect.

If you need assistance regarding this issue please contact Dell Tech Support

is the full email. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

6 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

I would say there is probably more to this than they are letting on, but I haven't seen this email...yet.

yeah that makes sense. 

Chicken Nuggets

17 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

So just got an email from Dell about the following 

Dell has discovered an issue where communication between the PowerEdge RAID controller and the iDrac does not request optimal fan speeds for certain hard drive models.

This could potentially result in excessive medium errors & hard drive failures.

Are they serious, i'm confused as to how fan speed would effect this considering that the fans are always at 100% and our powerdge servers like most are inside a room that's 17c ?

I've legit seen this on seagate st4000DM000-1F21 models, anything DM001 or higher should be fixed including DX and VN, it was panic in the room though as it was unexpected, either a drive fails in first 3 months or makes it to warranty, so if it dies mid life something else is usually terribly wrong

that said drive was actually fine post update to idrac

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

okay its the PowerEdge R320, Just re-read and found a service tag

Chicken Nuggets

3 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

okay its the PowerEdge R320, Just re-read and found a service tag

I think all of our blades are r910's but I can't be sure where our idrac's come from, that's the ebay lottery for you sometimes.

but 16 blades fully equipped for under 6k is kind of a deal....

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!