Grinding Gear Games potential data breach (Path of Exile)

That Norwegian Guy

The bigger the fish the likelier the target. The recently over-performing (in Steam charts) Path of Exile and its developer Grinding Gear Games may have been the target of an on-site data access by an uninvited party spanning a whopping 10 days. It is unknown what, if anything, the would-be infiltrator made away with.

pathofexile_img3-1024x576.jpg

Hopefully cracking these passwords will be at least as difficult as creating a worthwhile character build in the notoriously deep ARPG.

GGG assures us that its passwords are stored both salted (the process of adding a unique string to each password) then hashed, and it would take years or even decades to brute force strong passwords - and rather worryingly - days or weeks to crack a weak one. If you're the type of person to make your passwords "QWERTY12345" or similarly anemic strings, it would be wise to change it. It wouldn't be unwise for anyone to change it however, strong or not.

Other things that could have been breached are things like IP addresses of recently active players, and physical addresses of people who had physical products shipped to them.

Another juicy target at GGG; although this is my own input and not that of GGG's announcement, would be any inside scoops about its upcoming giga-update, promising a 2.5X multiplication of the games content. The game will by the end of the year be expanded to 10 acts compared to the current 4, which has a lot of people interested (as recent Steam charts will attest to)

Source: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1874476

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

12 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

may have been the target of an on-site data access by an uninvited party spanning a whopping 10 days

Is this trying to imply that the perpetrator was physically there? Their post didn't say that.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Is this trying to imply that the perpetrator was physically there? Their post didn't say that.

On-site, as in, connected to their local network.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

On-site, as in, connected to their local network.

That's not what I gathered from their wording.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz