WD Blue 6TB vs WD Black 6TB

RRGT19
  1. WD Blue 6TB $199.99
  2. WD Black 6TB $259.99

I will use it to storage my photos, music, movies. Also, I will create a folder to storage my games installed and play them through it. For example, Steam, I will download the games directly to the HDD and then, play the game using the HDD. My SSD is just for my Windows.

I have heard that WD Black drives are noisy but, the new 6TB model is noisy too?.

Which is better?. Remember, storage files and play games.

I don't care about the warranty differences.

WD black drives are nosier however they are 7200RPM compared to 5400 in Blue.  In short if youre going to game off of it I recommend spending the extra on the black. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

1 minute ago, RodoGodo19 said:

1. WD Blue 6TB $199.99
  2. WD Black 6TB $259.99

I will use it to storage my photos, music, movies. Also, I will create a folder to storage my games installed and play them through it.

Go with the Blue. Short-stroke the drive for two partitions. The faster for games and the second for movies, music, etc.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

WD black drives are nosier however they are 7200RPM compared to 5400 in Blue.  In short if youre going to game off of it I recommend spending the extra on the black. 

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Go with the Blue. Short-stroke the drive for two partitions. The faster for games and the second for movies, music, etc.

two different opinions.

I don't know what to do.

What if the 6TB is noisy?, what if not?.

I don't care about the price, I just want a good HDD for my needs without much noise. My old WD Black 1TB is as quiet as a WD Blue drive.

Just now, RodoGodo19 said:

WD Black also has a 5 year warranty apposed to WD Blues 2 year.  I've never heard of short seek times with blues.  Blues are fine, however you will see a tangable load time difference if you have a WD black just due to the spin speeds of the platters. :)  I have a WD 3tb Black so I guess Im slightly bias.. 

3 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

WD Black also has a 5 year warranty apposed to WD Blues 2 year.  I've never heard of short seek times with blues.  Blues are fine, however you will see a tangable load time difference if you have a WD black just due to the spin speeds of the platters. :)  I have a WD 3tb Black so I guess Im slightly bias.. 

It is noisy?. I don't want an engine next to me. My very old black 1tb is quiet. But the 6tb model has More platters inside so I don't know if that will make the drive more noisy

It is noisy?. I don't want an engine next to me. My very old black 1tb is quiet. But the 6tb model has More platters inside so I don't know if that will make the drive noiser

My 3tb Black is pretty noisey.  Not whiny noisy but it just sounds like a jackhammer once and awhile. Hahaha, but yeah if you want quiet go for Blue. 

4 minutes ago, RodoGodo19 said:

It is noisy?. I don't want an engine next to me. My very old black 1tb is quiet. But the 6tb model has More platters inside so I don't know if that will make the drive more noisy

Both the Blue and Blacks are quiet. Anyone who says they are loud has hearing sensitivities.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 minutes ago, Nikolithebear said:

My 3tb Black is pretty noisey.  Not whiny noisy but it just sounds like a jackhammer once and awhile. Hahaha, but yeah if you want quiet go for Blue. 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Both the Blue and Blacks are quiet. Anyone who says they are loud has hearing sensitivities.

with my old 1tb black I can hear just a little soung when copying a huge, a part from that, is damn quiet.

as I said I won't want an engine next to me because the case is right next to my monitor.

I don't know if the 6TB model is noisy or not I can not find any review saying that about noise.

on newegg from 299.99 is at 259.99 for only 1 day as an offer.

the blue is always at 199.99

but, if I buy the black 6tb I can sell both of my 1TB HDD and only have 1 inside of my case.

If the 6TB is pretty noisy and I can not live with it, I will kill myself the same day....... :(

because to return the HDD will be hard for me... I live so far away...

because to return the HDD will be hard for me... I live so far away...

Just take the Black since it is on sale. My 4TB Black and 2TB Blue are fairly quiet when under load. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, RodoGodo19 said:

Mine could be due to maybe a bad mount in the case and bad vibrations, if others are saying theyre quiet then I guess they're quiet.  Im just saying that mine is loud.  Ive had it for 2-3 years though.  So Mine might be a certain case. 

More platters= extra vibration, often you can use rubber washers or static resistant foam to reduce potential case amplified noise but a small case is risky. (I mostly use 1TB drives in ITX builds as a single platter is dead silent)

Depending upon your usage partitioning for the faster area is do-able with the WD Blue but cost to performance wise a 7200 RPM drive with a 5yr warranty is a sway factor for some buyers.  If you plan to use it for actual work or require bloated games to run faster you'll have to accept the WD Black noise(louder spin up and more audible clicking). Most people only notice 7200 RPM drive noise if their case/desk doesn't dampen the vibration, my old case made a WD Black sound noiser than a Seagate Barracuda XT for some odd reason but moving to another case made the multi-drive array near silent(I have 4 drives--1 drive is for graphic design/video scratch storage duty).

Personally I wouldn't touch WD Blue drives, shorter warranty is hard to justify that price difference and as with anything HDD you'll slowly wish you had a faster HDD when migrating to a larger drive down the road.

1 minute ago, PaintChips said:

More platters= extra vibration, often you can use rubber washers or static resistant foam to reduce potential case amplified noise but a small case is risky. (I mostly use 1TB drives in ITX builds as a single platter is dead silent)

Depending upon your usage partitioning for the faster area is do-able with the WD Blue but cost to performance wise a 7200 RPM drive with a 5yr warranty is a sway factor for some buyers.  If you plan to use it for actual work or require bloated games to run faster you'll have to accept the WD Black noise(louder spin up and more audible clicking). Most people only notice 7200 RPM drive noise if their case/desk doesn't dampen the vibration, my old case made a WD Black sound noiser than a Seagate Barracuda XT for some odd reason but moving to another case made the multi-drive array near silent(I have 4 drives--1 drive is for graphic design/video scratch storage duty).

Personally I wouldn't touch WD Blue drives, shorter warranty is hard to justify that price difference and as with anything HDD you'll slowly wish you had a faster HDD when migrating to a larger drive down the road.

I have a NCASE M1 which is a Mini ITX case. I doubt that it has antivibration stuff on the HDD cage. My blue 2tb is quiet and has good  performance when acceda to photos, music, vídeos. I can not tell the difference from wd Black because I use my Black just for Gaming right now.

5 minutes ago, RodoGodo19 said:

I have a NCASE M1 which is a Mini ITX case. I doubt that it has antivibration stuff on the HDD cage. My blue 2tb is quiet and has good  performance when acceda to photos, music, vídeos. I can not tell the difference from wd Black because I use my Black just for Gaming right now.

Going by Google photos of various builds of others you could try something like cutting a thin rubber gasket type material and use it on the mounting points which contact with metal. Vibration wise once you go above two platters there is always risk of increased case noise. Silent PC Review has been a useful resource in my builds, sometimes you can "force" a metal case to be silent but other times going back to the drawing board is a painful/costly step.