Need input on a new gaming PC

Strawberry

Hey! :)

I might be getting a new PC soon and I need some input on this build I put together.

This is the best I could come up with, considering my budget and availability where I live.

I'm mostly going to play AAA titles like BF1 (hence the i7), GTA V and perhaps Blizzard games and FFXIV.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer i11 74.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Strix Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

For SSD, I thought about this one: http://www.goplextor.com/Product/Detail/S1C#/Features

Or this one: http://www.adata.com/us/ssd/feature/410

Ideally I'd go with a Samsung 850 but it's too expensive here.

Appreciate any tips you could give me.

It looks like a solid build. I would go with the adata ssd solely because I've heard of them before and haven't heard of the other brand.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

It looks like a solid build. I would go with the adata ssd solely because I've heard of them before and haven't heard of the other brand.

Thanks for the reply!

The ADATA does seem to be more common. The thing with the Plextor is that I remember people used to buy their HDDs like a decade ago or so, so I thought their SSDs might be good too.

By the way, is that cooler going to be enough for the i7?

I see a lot of people recommending the Cryorig H7/M9i or the CM Evo 212 but unfortunately they aren't available here.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

see if you can squeeze in a 1070. 

I wish. It's way over my budget though.

what resolution / fps do you want to play at? With 1080 60fps this seems fine, for anything higher I'd also recommend upgrading your gpu if you can afford it.

3 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

I wish. It's way over my budget though.

If you want to save get a 80 Plus Bronze PSU instead of your gold one (bronze is fine, gold is overkill) and a i5 7600k instead of the 7700 (so you can overclock, you do not need the hyperthreading)

6 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

By the way, is that cooler going to be enough for the i7?

As long as that's an i7 7700, and not a i7 7700K you'll be fine 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

If you want to save get a 80 Plus Bronze PSU instead of your gold one (bronze is fine, gold is overkill) and a i5 7600k instead of the 7700 (so you can overclock, you do not need the hyperthreading)

Quality of a PSU is not determined by the 80+ rating, so don't recommend them based on that.

He cannot overclock with a b250 motherboard, and an i7 will beat an overclocked i5 or match it almost always, unless you're breaking some overclock record. 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Quality of a PSU is not determined by the 80+ rating, so don't recommend them based on that.

He cannot overclock with a b250 motherboard, and an i7 will beat an overclocked i5 or match it almost always, unless you're breaking some overclock record. 

Yea did not see that b250 mb... I'd still recommend the i5 for this build and going for the i5 7600 instead of the i7 7700. The difference won't be that big on your system to justify the higher cost.

6 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

what resolution / fps do you want to play at? With 1080 60fps this seems fine, for anything higher I'd also recommend upgrading your gpu if you can afford it.

Right now I'm at 1680x1050, but I'm going to upgrade to 1080p later on.

As for FPS, I guess I want the highest I can get with ultra settings, at least for the games I listed.

6 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whats your max budget?  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hDRT3F

Well I'm not sure how helpful it's gonna be if I tell you.

Just to get the picture, a GTX 1070 costs over $500 where I live.

3 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

I only picked the Corsair because people say this series (RMx) is very good.

The i7 is because of BF1 (and WD2 apparently).

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Yeah, I'm not going to OC which is why I got the non-K CPU and B250 mobo.

2 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

Yea did not see that b250 mb... I'd still recommend the i5 for this build and going for the i5 7600 instead of the i7 7700. The difference won't be that big on your system to justify the higher cost.

Keep the i7. Games like GTA5 and BF1 that hes interested in playing will benefit from the i7, and he'll have no doubts about if his CPU will hold up against his new GPU when he upgrades in a few years.

Just now, Strawberry said:

Right now I'm at 1680x1050, but I'm going to upgrade to 1080p later on.

As for FPS, I guess I want the highest I can get with ultra settings, at least for the games I listed.

If you only have a 60hz monitor, everything over 60fps does not matter that much. If you can afford it get a 144hz monitor, it really does make a big difference in fps shooters.

2 hours ago, Schakal_No1 said:

If you only have a 60hz monitor, everything over 60fps does not matter that much. If you can afford it get a 144hz monitor, it really does make a big difference in fps shooters.

I am planning on getting a 144Hz monitor. They seem to be all the rage now.