which RAM setting is better?

basically i spend "some time"(6h or so....) doing some RAM overclocking and i ended up with this:

IMG_20170325_173629.thumb.jpg.4fcd0f6cbeb493b1d3bc6ac1d3ab9438.jpg

basically is this any better then stock which is this:

IMG_20170325_003919.thumb.jpg.047bc5c2115aa8d0ef81d2d10f8cff99.jpg

clocks are looser on the overclock and i dont have the 1T comand rate either but its running 300MHz faster. which one is the better one? all timings were set to auto and i got this, i can get higher speeds but it loosens the timinngs even more. i cant run stock timings with the 2201MHz speed so i just stuck them all on auto for now. anyway which one is the better one?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

honestly, best way to test is to run some benchmark tests like SuperPI or something that will put a stress on your RAM to see how it does. Judging from the limited knowledge I have, I would say the first would be better. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

honestly, best way to test is to run some benchmark tests like SuperPI or something that will put a stress on your RAM to see how it does. Judging from the limited knowledge I have, I would say the first would be better. 

yah iv just been makeing sure they work fine with memtest86(which takes about an hour per run -_-) i havent had time to run any benchmakrs, il do that when i can but i wanted to know if anyone could tell by just that because i have no clue

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

They likely will be close, but I know tasks that use ram like them MHz. CAS latency is only 1 difference so I think the extra MHz will be the best. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

MHz times the CAS (1100.5 x .89 (100 minus CAS 11) = 893 data transfers per second) times two (DDR) 1786MHz

MHz times the CAS (933.8 x .90 (100 minus CAS 10) = 840 data transfers per second) times two (DDR) 1680MHz

CAS is how slow the performing frequency is affected per second. more CAS induced, the slower the processing data is slowed. visually, it is fractional.

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

MHz times the CAS (1100.5 x .89 (100 minus CAS 11) = 893 data transfers per second) times two (DDR) 1786MHz

MHz times the CAS (933.8 x .90 (100 minus CAS 10) = 840 data transfers per second) times two (DDR) 1680MHz

CAS is how slow the performing frequency is affected per second. more CAS induced, the slower the processing data is slowed. visually, it is fractional.

so the overclock is basically a bit better?

Builds:

Spoiler

moving to 2200/CL11 (stock 1.5v?) yes. make you voltage max 1.65/1.675v and work the speed to 2666MHz. then working the timings tighter.

prolly end up on 2600/CL14

1600/CL9 - 1456

1866CL10 - 1680

2133/CL11 - 1898

2400/CL13 - 2088

2666/CL14 - 2293

note the increase in CAS tends to yield the same as last base/CL so essentially, they are all the same just a bit faster in data transfer speed.

using p95 custom is a RAM stability test (http://www.overclock.net/t/838244/prime95-a-quick-dirty-guide-to-the-custom-settings/0_30)

6 minutes ago, airdeano said:

moving to 2200/CL11 (stock 1.5v?) yes. make you voltage max 1.65/1.675v and work the speed to 2666MHz. then working the timings tighter.

prolly end up on 2600/CL14

1600/CL9 - 1456

1866CL10 - 1680

2133/CL11 - 1898

2400/CL13 - 2088

2666/CL14 - 2293

note the increase in CAS tends to yield the same as last base/CL so essentially, they are all the same just a bit faster in data transfer speed.

using p95 custom is a RAM stability test (http://www.overclock.net/t/838244/prime95-a-quick-dirty-guide-to-the-custom-settings/0_30)

ok il be sure to try more setting then, im running the stock 1.5V right now

Builds:

Spoiler

great! see what you can buy on 1.5 for grins, but eventually the faster speed/lower CAS the voltage will need to be increased.

Just now, airdeano said:

great! see what you can buy on 1.5 for grins, but eventually the faster speed/lower CAS the voltage will need to be increased.

should i keep the other setting on auto and just manually change the CAS or keep everything on auto or what? also does the 1t vs 2t comand rate do much?

Builds:

Spoiler

in most cases AUTO over applies.

best to hit the max speed with loose timings, then start squeezing the timings.

command rate is whether the data fetch from a DIMM bank is 1 clock cycle or 2 clock cycles. 1T is sensitive vs 2T which is more forgiving, but adds some mushiness in latency.

Just now, airdeano said:

command rate is whether the data fetch from a DIMM bank is 1 clock cycle or 2 clock cycles. 1T is sensitive vs 2T which is more forgiving, but adds some mushiness in latency.

ok, thanks for the info. il get to my max speed on auto on stock volts, then see what i can do on 1.65V with auto and then il start trimming of the timings then, should i do a memtest86 pass every time i try new settings or should i use something else?

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

memtest, superPi, p95, cinebench can ll torture memory for stability

ok il run Cinnebench then seeing as thats what iv got installed and then when i find how hard i can go and pass Cinnebench and iv tweeked my timings down as far as i can il do a few passes of memtest and superPI :) thanks for all the help :D 

Builds:

Spoiler

5 hours ago, airdeano said:

well this is what i ended up with, picked up about 30 CB points in just getting these timings lol

temp.png.642461789320c51f920be939ed4c6ab7.png

wont boot at any speed higher then this, even at 1.7V and any tighter timigs wont pass memtest so this is what iv ended up with. somehow ended up gaining about 30 CB points from decresing the timigs just a little bit and about 5fps in OpenGL.... O.o very strange.

Builds:

Spoiler