PC Build Question (Revised)? Please Read Fully

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

you need to install a skylake CPU, but the BIOS on a USB stick, update from the USB stick, remove the skylake CPU, and then install the kaby lake CPU

english?

6 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

what do you mean? is it a pain to update or something? can something go wrong?

It isn't a pain, relatively straight forward. If there is a power cut or fault in the process, then the motherboard could be bricked, but that is very uncommon.

If the BIOS that is installed on the board has not been updated in the factory, then the system will not post, and you will not be able to update the bios without a compatible CPU. There will typically be instructions on how to do this for your motherboard in the user manual.

If you do not have a skylake processor, you could take it to a computer store (and they will likely charge a service fee), or purchase a cheap Skylake processor, for example a Celeron G3900.

3 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

"usually" is not the answer I am looking for. and leave me alone, it's my choice. It's not for gaming, the PC is for multitasking. 

Of couse usually isn't what you want. I'm just saying that 99% of B250 boards support 3Ghz DDR4. most support more.

Just find a B250 board in your area and see if it supports 3Ghz DDR4.

I'm not trying to force you to get a B250 board, I'm just saying that it's better, because it doesn't need a BIOS update to work with kaby lake, and there's no downside.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Of couse usually isn't what you want. I'm just saying that 99% of B250 boards support 3Ghz DDR4. most support more.

Just find a B250 board in your area and see if it supports 3Ghz DDR4.

I'm not trying to force you to get a B250 board, I'm just saying that it's better, because it doesn't need a BIOS update to work with kaby lake, and there's no downside.

Lol OP told us to leave him alone better go help someone else

4 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

english?

You need a skylake (6th gen) CPU to upgrade the BIOS to work with Kaby lake (7th gen).

if you don't have easy access to a skylake CPU, I'd recommend against buying a 100 series board.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Is that 600 including the PSU os and 960?

NO.

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

english?

Step 1. Using another computer, download the latest BIOS from the motherboards support website, and place the BIOS file onto a USB stick.

Step 2. Build the new computer with a compatible Skylake processor.

Step 3. Turn on the PC, and enter the BIOS.

Step 4. Flash the updated BIOS onto the motherboard. Details will be in the user manual.

Step 5. Check system POSTs, and displays correct updated BIOS version.

Step 6. Turn off the system, and remove the Skylake processor. Then install the Kabylake processor.

Step 7. Turn on the system, and check that the system POSTs. Carry on as normal.

Honestly, it is easier to avoid doing this by getting a B250 motherboard. If you have the motherboard already, get a i5 6600 CPU instead.

Hallooooooo and here is my list.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($287.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($65.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($93.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  ($30.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $617.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-24 20:10 EDT-0400

So I have a GTX 960, windows 10, and a EVGA 600W PSU laying around in my closest. All free. Assuming this, I need to have a PC built that is around 600 dollars. The PC is for multitasking on browsers and other programs. It is NOT for gaming. We might end up gaming a bit on it, but nothing intensive at all; maybe something like some casual counter strike or TF2. But otherwise, it is PRIMARY is multitasking. 

With this in mind, I have a picture that shows what I will be purchasing for this build, it is highlighted in yellow. 

I am primarily concerned with the motherboard-ram-cpu combo. I wanted to know (assuming I want DDR4 and a 1151 socket) if this is a good combo or not? I realize now that the board is z-series, which is pointless if my cpu is not a k-series. I also know now that the Kaby Lake is annoying to work with because of the bios update that may be required since it's a newer processor. As a result, I want someone to give me a better motherboard-ram-cpu combo that's around the same price with the same specs, just more compatible and less of a pain in the *#$ to work with.

Thank you!

2.PNG

12 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Step 1. Using another computer, download the latest BIOS from the motherboards support website, and place the BIOS file onto a USB stick.

Step 2. Build the new computer with a compatible Skylake processor.

Step 3. Turn on the PC, and enter the BIOS.

Step 4. Flash the updated BIOS onto the motherboard. Details will be in the user manual.

Step 5. Check system POSTs, and displays correct updated BIOS version.

Step 6. Turn off the system, and remove the Skylake processor. Then install the Kabylake processor.

Step 7. Turn on the system, and check that the system POSTs. Carry on as normal.

Honestly, it is easier to avoid doing this by getting a B250 motherboard. If you have the motherboard already, get a i5 6600 CPU instead.

i can't get a skylake processor...should i return the kaby lake and just go for a skylake one instead for the sake of trouble?

Just now, jewishdolphins said:

i can't get a skylake processor...should i return the kaby lake and just go for a skylake one instead for the sake of trouble?

What parts do you already have?

4 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

What parts do you already have?

nothing yet, they're in shipment. but i will return the processor at least if its gonna be a pain.

RYZEN 5!!!

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

nothing yet, they're in shipment. but i will return the processor at least if its gonna be a pain.

Wat parts have you ordered

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Wat parts have you ordered

everything in the picture.

The wifi I'm on rn is crap please just say in text

2 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

Nvm I saw it. Keep the CPU but you should try it in the z170 mobo. If it doesn't work, return the CPU and get a 6600k or 6700k

5 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

When the motherboard arrives, check the box by the serial number. It should say what BIOS version is pre-installed at the factory.

You can check online on the motherboards support webpage to see if this BIOS is after the Kabylake compatibility. If the BIOS version is not stated on the box, try it, and if it doesn't work return the CPU and get a Skylake one.

8 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

When the motherboard arrives, check the box by the serial number. It should say what BIOS version is pre-installed at the factory.

You can check online on the motherboards support webpage to see if this BIOS is after the Kabylake compatibility. If the BIOS version is not stated on the box, try it, and if it doesn't work return the CPU and get a Skylake one.

does anyone know if newegg lets you exchange and return items for other items? Their return policy is very vague and after reading it, it almost sounds like u can only return items in order to exchange for the same item you ordered. 

4 minutes ago, jewishdolphins said:

does anyone know if newegg lets you exchange and return items for other items? Their return policy is very vague and after reading it, it almost sounds like u can only return items in order to exchange for the same item you ordered. 

In there return policy they state: "All products that are new with the retail packaging never opened can be returned to Newegg within 30 days regardless of the individual return policy."

If you can get the motherboard BIOS version from its box, to determine compatibility first, then I imagine you should be able to return the CPU if it isn't going to work or you aren't sure.