Swiftech H240x2 Reservoir

I bought a Swiftech H240x2 last summer and it has been an interesting little water cooler. When I first used it it was fine, but after a few months I noticed that there seemed to be some sort of growth in the reservoir, the water color changed, and the pump made a strange noise. About two months ago I drained the loop, rinsed it out, and refilled it. Recently, I can see growth again, and the strange noise in the pump is back again. I have been thinking about going to an open custom loop, and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to remove the pump and reservoir from the radiator, so that I can use the radiator in the loop and not have to buy another one?

Thanks,

Andrew

You likely need to get a biocide in your loop as its likely algae growing in there. You should take it all apart and do a full tear down of everything you can to clean it up. Get yourself some Distilled water to fill it back up and get yourself an anti bacterial microbial additive to put in there, like PT Nuke. This should keep the algae at bay. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

It could be algae or it could be plasticizer but it's probably both. Do you think you can post a picture of the growth? It's probably both so you might have to replace the tubes after running the loop with 1 part distilled water and 1 part vinegar for a couple hours to kill anything still alive in the loop. And then make sure you get somekind of biocide when you refilled the loop with distilled water.

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

1 hour ago, YubinTheBunny said:

It could be algae or it could be plasticizer but it's probably both. Do you think you can post a picture of the growth? It's probably both so you might have to replace the tubes after running the loop with 1 part distilled water and 1 part vinegar for a couple hours to kill anything still alive in the loop. And then make sure you get somekind of biocide when you refilled the loop with distilled water.

Okay, I will give that a try and also try and upload some photos. But I was mostly concerned with trying to re-use the radiator for a totally new custom loop. Thanks!