Ultimate Noob Question...

N00B_person
Go to solution Solved by thedigitalmilk,

And how would I go about doing that?

This is virtually the same as how I do it http://m.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD

Try that guide out.

Yes, I barely know a thing about HTPCs, but my family and i both think that one would be useful. Especially over winter.

What i need to know is this.

In the LifeHacker guide, the person who I have forgotten the name of said that he can watch movies that he had ripped himself. The two key words being 'RIPPED HIMSELF'.

I have tried Handbrake before, but I felt like I was barking up the wrong tree. Does anyone have any *legal* suggestions?

All feedback is appreciated :)

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

IT is legal to make a digital copy of a movie you own. You could buy some from amazon or something if you just want to buy the movies digitaly.

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Yes, I barely know a thing about HTPCs, but my family and i both think that one would be useful. Especially over winter.

In the LifeHacker guide, the person who I have forgotten the name of said that he can watch movies that he had ripped himself. The two key words being 'RIPPED HIMSELF'.

I have tried Handbrake before, but I felt like I was barking up the wrong tree. Does anyone have any *legal* suggestions?

basicly you want a pc filled with movies so you dont have to use dvd or "ILLEGAL" streams *evilgrin* ?

i personally have ripped a copy off every dvd i own to my main pc for back. i have used a combination or 3 programs to do this (DVD43, DVD Ripper and my new fav Freemake Video Converter).

if your not up for ripping them yourself. you can alway buy them again as a download or use something like netflix to watch them over the internet :)

Win 10 Pro 64bit| Intel i5-4670k| Corsair H100i| ASUS Maximus VI GENE| 2x8GB PC3-14900 Corsair Vengeance Pro Red| MSI GeForce GTX 1070 | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro SSD| WD 3TB Red | WD Black 3tb | Corsair Obsidian 350D| Corsair AX760 | Dust |

In the UK at least you are allowed to own a digital copy for backup purposes. So as long as you own or can prove you have bought a copy of DVD the ripped files are completely legal so that's one way of doing it, I have ripped all my DVDs so I can use then on my phone or tablet.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

In the UK at least you are allowed to own a digital copy for backup purposes. So as long as you own or can prove you have bought a copy of DVD the ripped files are completely legal so that's one way of doing it, I have ripped all my DVDs so I can use then on my phone or tablet.

LOOK AT MY TUBE, MY TUBE IS AMAZING. DONT LICK IT IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE ANYTHING. IT DOESN'T HAVE A MANE OR PENIS EITHER. SHUT UP.

Try that guide out.

Case: Corsair 460X RGB bby, CPU: I5 8600K, Motherboard: MSI B360M PRO-VDH, RAM: 8GB Hyper X 2400MHz , Graphics Card: GTX1060 6GB, PSU: Corsair RM750x,

Cooler: BEQuiet!  Pure Rock Slim SSD: Kingston 240GB, HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Try that guide out.

Damn that's what I get for posting on my phone... Sorry about the double post:(

seriously recommend MakeMKV: http://makemkv.com/

It allows you to rip the movie track without any of the extras into an uncompressed MKV file. You can also specify which sound tracks and subtitles are ripped with it.

From that point, you can choose to either have an uncompressed copy for your digital records, or you can then run it through something like Handbrake to reduce the file size. If you are ripping a DVD, then you should be able to reduce the size of the file by a large degree without any noticeable quality loss.

Even with blu-ray rips, you can squeeze the size down a bit before quality loss becomes very noticeable.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Nice to see MakeMKV. Never used but it looks good. 

Just in case anyoen needs to re-encode movies to work on tablets and smartphones, I have used Xmedia Recode with great success. Great to turn all those HD family vacations into a usable format the the family to watch on their smart devices.