High Idle Cpu on Windows 10!

fehilly4

Hi everyone!

New to the forums as I now require help from you lovely people! (Linus has told me so much about you in his videos)

I Recently upgraded a few bits and bobs (motherboard and most importantly added RGB!) on my rig and reinstalled Windows 10.

After a few weeks I noticed the idle CPU load was sitting constantly around 30%. I decided just to format my boot drive and start afresh in the hope it would sort its self out. However, after I reinstalled windows and updated everything CPU still sits at around 30% in task manager. I tried leaving the computer running for around 48 hours to see if it would settle down but no change.

On the processes list the main culprits are "System" 11-12%, "Service Host: Local Service (no Network)" 8-10%(Specifically the diagnostics policy service). I suspected this could be driver related so I made sure I have all the latest Windows Updates, Motherboard drivers, GPU Drivers and USB device drivers. I updated all my drive firmware too. I also updated the BIOS on my motherboard and graphics card yet no change to the CPU load.

So I looked into the specifics of the services using the windows performance kit thing and narrowed it down to "ntoskrnl.exe" and "ntdll.dll". I spent the next 2 days on google trying to sort it, disabled windows tip notifications, done the recommended registry edits, done virus scans, scanned for malware bla bla. I even went through my whole device manager list right clicking and updating drivers!

I'm still no further forward! Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

This is my hardware list,

CPU - Intel i7-4770

Motherboard - Asus Z97-P

16GB generic DDR3 RAM 1600mhz (I think)

GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1080  G1 Gaming

PSU - Corsair CX550M

Crucial 500GB SSD (Boot drive)

Samsung 750 EVO 500gb SSD (Storage)

Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD (Storage)

WD HHD 2TB (More Storage)

The cooler is a Corsair 100i V2 (Yes, Overkill) i have it all connected up with the USB header and corsair link installed.

I have a USB WI-FI dongle with latest drivers. (never had issue with it in the last 3 years)

I think that's about it!

Thanks in advance

David

I have noticed in the past, that all  of Windows tracking software uses up a fair few resources. When installing windows, make sure you click custom and opt out of everything

Edit: Windows update is a killer as well, so just manually download them as and when, as they will rinse resources on startup etc. 

Do a clean install and choose custom. Create a local account not MS account and deselect all that telemetry crap and no thanks cortana. Then run a program like delete windows spying to remove all the hidden telemetry and services. Don't forget the regedit required to disable the sneaky silent install (that is the reason you may find games like candy crush on your system - no its not a virus is Microsoft)

Thank you for the suggestions guys!

I shall reinstall windows and try disabling everything (I'm sure I did but its worth a shot!)

I shall report back!

Well, I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows, disabled every and reinstalled drivers but no change. Sitting exactly the same as before!

Any other ideas?

Edited by fehilly4

Solved it!

A friend spent about 5 hours at it with me last night. Narrowed it down to thread labeled ACPI.SYS+0x1af7c. Disabled everything (ans I mean everything) and nothing made a dent in the cpu utilisation. Eventually tried installing windows 10 pro instead of home and bam! Solved.

Strange one! We couldn't figure out the reason behind it. 

thanks for the assistance guys!