Don't need my GPU 90%+ of the time but when I do...

... I want the best available.

Hey guys I have a unique problem, I really can't find a solution for

I am gaming less and less I am just doing web and social stuff and working most of the time. But occasionally I game or do 3d stuff and when I do I want maximum GPU power for things like triple screen resolutions and such.

There is no problem finding silent PC components for pretty much anything. Currently I am looking at an i7 7700k with a beefy cooler and a Fractal Define R5 case or sth. I have only SSDs my HDs are at an external NAS that is in a different room. What I hate is GPUs cause as I said I really don't need one 90% of the time but when I do I'd like a 1080 or better. And even the best idle noise GPU is usually louder than idle CPU cooler noise. Also you sometimes have little spikes with GPU not going idle anymore cause of some hardware acceleration in UI.

The 7700 has the latest generation of integrated graphics. So I thought wouldn't it be possible to run on integrated graphics 90% of the time and only switch on the dedicated when I want to do gaming? Monitor IO might be a mess but maybe workable with hubs and displayport and such.

Unfortunately my Google-Fu fails me on that issue only leading me to some strange notebook things and apple devices. Doesn't seem this is a thing... which would be bad I thought it must be technically possible somehow.

Anyone knows more on this? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by TheRandomness
Fixed formatting

35 minutes ago, CyberianK said:

... I want the best available.

Hey guys I have a unique problem, I really can't find a solution for

I am gaming less and less I am just doing web and social stuff and working most of the time. But occasionally I game or do 3d stuff and when I do I want maximum GPU power for things like triple screen resolutions and such.

There is no problem finding silent PC components for pretty much anything. Currently I am looking at an i7 7700k with a beefy cooler and a Fractal Define R5 case or sth. I have only SSDs my HDs are at an external NAS that is in a different room. What I hate is GPUs cause as I said I really don't need one 90% of the time but when I do I'd like a 1080 or better. And even the best idle noise GPU is usually louder than idle CPU cooler noise. Also you sometimes have little spikes with GPU not going idle anymore cause of some hardware acceleration in UI.

The 7700 has the latest generation of integrated graphics. So I thought wouldn't it be possible to run on integrated graphics 90% of the time and only switch on the dedicated when I want to do gaming? Monitor IO might be a mess but maybe workable with hubs and displayport and such.

Unfortunately my Google-Fu fails me on that issue only leading me to some strange notebook things and apple devices. Doesn't seem this is a thing... which would be bad I thought it must be technically possible somehow.

Anyone knows more on this? Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It's possible for sure to run the iGPU 90% of the time, then when you want to play a game or soemthing that demands more GPU power, just reboot, go into the BIOS and set the discrete GPU as output. If you have a monitor with multi-inputs, eg mine had 2 HDMI ports and display port, then yuo don't even need to swap cables around. For multi-monitor config you will though most likely. I haven't tested this myself (reminder to self: test this shit), but believe it should work as I said.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini