3.6 BILLION GB/S DOWNLOAD SPEED, THANKS DSL!

Go to solution Solved by Evanair,

I'm questioning the "Answered"-ness of this threat.  OP said he had ATT DSL, so why is the answer a CABLE MODEM?!?

If it's DSL, look at the line attenuation numbers and dB numbers compared to how far you are from the junction box.  A lot of times ATT oversells their service, with the bandwidth getting crosstalk on old lines.  You have to prove it to them from their own numbers and math, but they WILL replace the lines if you can prove it's physically impossible for them to give you 45mbps over the older twisted pair lines..

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Router-CenturyLink/dp/B01BG8AOH8

Been dealing with painfully slow internet speeds thanks to ATT, came home after work and found out ATT has somehow figured out how to send internet through black holes. I've tried everything possible with the router (on a 45mbps plan and usually get about 745kbps). Nothing has changed since getting the plan which used to provide about 25mbps, still slow but manageable. ATT is saying the connection is fine on their end, not sure how to remedy the situation. 

IMG_20170323_001242653.jpg

Could be the modem/router.

If you're using their equipment for that, try getting your own instead. ISP provided equipment tends to be pretty shitty.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Wow! I need that internet speed! I could download the Internet instantly! Although, my 6.4GB Maxtor IDE hard drive may fill up.......

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

6 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

Could be the modem/router.

If you're using their equipment for that, try getting your own instead. ISP provided equipment tends to be pretty shitty.

What they gave me is an Arris NVG599, I had an Arris surfboard a long time ago I liked fairly well and was hoping I got a decent quality Modem/Router for *****"Free"******

This is a well known bug with Steam, nothing new here

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Kolldog said:

What they gave me is an Arris NVG599, I had an Arris surfboard a long time ago I liked fairly well and was hoping I got a decent quality Modem/Router for *****"Free"******

Seems like a pretty crappy device to me.

I'd suggest getting something a little bit better than that, though it'll cost a bit of money.

The ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 is a pretty decent modem for the price ($80), I've been using one for a few years now without issue. https://www.amazon.com/SURFboard-SB6121-DOCSIS-Retail-Packaging/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490244369&sr=1-3&keywords=sb6121

Then you'll need a router to go along with it, I'd suggest the ASUS RT-N66U, Linus used it for the WAN show back in the old office for quite a while and he loved it. I have a newer more expensive version (RT-AC66U) and it's fantastic. The RT-N66U falls in the same price area as the SB6121 at $86. https://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1490244452&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+rt-n66u

So that'd be a total of $166 + tax, which is pretty reasonable.

I'd also like to note that with my SB6121 and RT-AC66U, I'm getting about 90Mb/s down, 12Mb/s up while still having over 20 other devices connected to the network all doing stuff, and I'm only supposed to be getting around I think 75Mb/s down, 10Mb/s up. (Comcast)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

so umm what internet provider do you have because i need it

I'm questioning the "Answered"-ness of this threat.  OP said he had ATT DSL, so why is the answer a CABLE MODEM?!?

If it's DSL, look at the line attenuation numbers and dB numbers compared to how far you are from the junction box.  A lot of times ATT oversells their service, with the bandwidth getting crosstalk on old lines.  You have to prove it to them from their own numbers and math, but they WILL replace the lines if you can prove it's physically impossible for them to give you 45mbps over the older twisted pair lines..

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Router-CenturyLink/dp/B01BG8AOH8

11 minutes ago, Evanair said:

I'm questioning it since there was no question to even answer.  I explained why he's seeing what he did in the screenshot, but other than that idk where this talk of networking companies and gear came from :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

but other than that idk where this talk of networking companies and gear came from :P 

I think it came from the rest of the text he wrote, about paying for 45mbps but only geting 750kbps.  Providing answers to, "ATT is saying the connection is fine on their end, not sure how to remedy the situation."

Just now, Evanair said:

I think it came from the rest of the text he wrote, about paying for 45mbps but only geting 750kbps.  Providing answers to, "ATT is saying the connection is fine on their end, not sure how to remedy the situation."

Oh, that should really be its own thread since it'll be more searchable and get more attention that way