I7 7700K overclocking

So I overclocked my i7 7700K to 4.8 GHz. Now I don't know if should behave like this or not but it is always there at 4.8GHz. Earlier befor overclocking it, it used fluctuate between different frequencies depending on the load. Now it always remains at 4.8GHz. Is it good and if not, how should I change it?

11 minutes ago, JayantBedwal said:

So I overclocked my i7 7700K to 4.8 GHz. Now I don't know if should behave like this or not but it is always there at 4.8GHz. Earlier befor overclocking it, it used fluctuate between different frequencies depending on the load. Now it always remains at 4.8GHz. Is it good and if not, how should I change it?

Overclocking itself means setting higher clock speeds and you'll always get 4.8GHz as you just set the CPU clock to 4.8GHz so always it'll stay at 4.8GHz but temps should be good assuming that you have good cooling solution.

14 minutes ago, JayantBedwal said:

Start by making sure that you have Windows Power Options set to "Balanced" mode.  Then make sure that, Intel SpeedStep, Speed Shift and C-states are enabled in BIOS.

1 minute ago, M.A.P said:

Overclocking itself means setting higher clock speeds and you'll always get 4.8GHz as you just set the CPU clock to 4.8GHz so always it'll stay at 4.8GHz but temps should be good assuming that you have good cooling solution.

You can overclock and still keep the power savings features in place.  It doesn't have to stay locked at whatever max frequency you've selected. 

Just now, M.A.P said:

in ideal situation it is around 40, medium 65-70, all cores at 100% load it reaches 90 sometimes.

6 minutes ago, JayantBedwal said:

in ideal situation it is around 40, medium 65-70, all cores at 100% load it reaches 90 sometimes.

Well the temps look normal to me.

Depending on the motherboard you have, if you enter the voltage manually you will not be able to use any of the power saving features.  MSI and Gigabyte are like that, Asus is more user friendly in that regard.  For Gigabyte and MSI you have to leave the voltage on Auto or Normal and use Dynamic VID offset to customize your applied voltage and take advantage of Intel's power saving features.

I have no idea why Gigabyte and MSI's bios teams can't figure out a better way to do it like Asus, but it is what it is.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

4 hours ago, Ensho said:

Depending on the motherboard you have, if you enter the voltage manually you will not be able to use any of the power saving features.  MSI and Gigabyte are like that, Asus is more user friendly in that regard.  For Gigabyte and MSI you have to leave the voltage on Auto or Normal and use Dynamic VID offset to customize your applied voltage and take advantage of Intel's power saving features.

I have no idea why Gigabyte and MSI's bios teams can't figure out a better way to do it like Asus, but it is what it is.

Does it reduce the life of Processor?

6 hours ago, JayantBedwal said:

Is it good and if not, how should I change it?

It's... fine, really. I guess you could try to set it up to downclock when idle, but you should never let that happen anyway, so it's a moot point.

5 hours ago, JayantBedwal said:

all cores at 100% load it reaches 90 sometimes.

That's a bit too high. Lower voltage a notch or two. If unstable at 4.8ghz, knock the multiplier down and use Blck to get something like 4775mhz instead of going all the way down to 4700.

5 hours ago, Ensho said:

Y NO LUV 4 ASROCK??

B|

50 minutes ago, JayantBedwal said:

Not really... keep temps down and you'll trash that CPU way before it dies on you.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, JayantBedwal said:

Static voltage?  I'm not the most qualified to speak on it, but no..not really so long as you keep your temps cool and stay within reason on your vcore.  Over the very, very long haul...maybe so.  I just personally like the idea of taking the voltage out of the processor and only running it full speed when it really needs it.  With higher overclocks and higher load voltages..yes...that is a good thing.

58 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Y NO LUV 4 ASROCK??

B|

I've heard Asrock does similar to what Asus does with adaptive voltage...I've just never been able to confirm it.  So, they do as well huh?  Cool.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H