my temps seem off

im looking to do a x99 build and i'll be using the i7 6800k not sure what cooler to use till i can do the custom loop like i have a i7 7700k with the corsair H100i v2 but runs a bit hot for my liking its clocked at 4.6ghz and pump is on performance and the temp is hovering around 50c on idle.... seems a bit hot  

what are load temps.

also, why an X99 build when Ryzen exists?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

load temps are hitting 78c and im waiting to see what more bugs are there with ryzen i do plan on building a ryzen but ive always wanted a x99 

3 hours ago, carlosram36 said:

load temps are hitting 78c

Depending on the voltage, that's actually a pretty normal temp.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

what are load temps.

Probably cpu frequency, by the looks of things so far ryzen isn't great for overclocking. 

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

what are load temps.

As long as you can afford it, X99 is a good platform.

I have both an i7 6900K, and a Ryzen 1700. I haven't been able to get a stable OC on the Ryzen yet, and so far Ryzen has been giving unsatisfactory performance for my workload.

4 hours ago, carlosram36 said:

i7 7700k with the corsair H100i v2 but runs a bit hot

I have had several faulty Corsair AIO coolers. I have a H110i that temps slowly increased over a few weeks on my 6900K to 105°C. I replaced it with an X62 and temps dropped down to 55-65°C under full load. I need to do some more investigations into why the H110i failed.

I have lost faith in all AIO coolers.

29 minutes ago, Cyborgsmith said:

Probably cpu frequency, by the looks of things so far ryzen isn't great for overclocking. 

but... the 6800K only boosts to 3.6Ghz...

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

but... the 6800K only boosts to 3.6Ghz...

With water and a bit of tweaking you can get it past 4.4ghz

4 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

As long as you can afford it, X99 is a good platform.

I have both an i7 6900K, and a Ryzen 1700. I haven't been able to get a stable OC on the Ryzen yet, and so far Ryzen has been giving unsatisfactory performance for my workload.

Of course a 6900K is better than a 1700. it's literally over 3 times the price.

the 6900K is even better than the 1800X.

however, when you consider price, and an option between a 6800K and a 1700X, the 1700X wins hands down with similar IPC, faster clockspeed, and 25% more cores.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Cyborgsmith said:

With water and a bit of tweaking you can get it past 4.4ghz

A Ryzen 7 1700X at stock speeds is just about equal to a 6800K at 4.4 Ghz.

considering Ryzen overclocks just about as well as Stephen hawking can run a marathon, I'd say that they're about equal if you push your 6800K to the max. however, that produces a ton more heat.

plus, you aren't thinking about motherboard cost. it's astronomical for X99 boards.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

A Ryzen 7 1700X at stock speeds is just about equal to a 6800K at 4.4 Ghz.

considering Ryzen overclocks just about as well as Stephen hawking can run a marathon, I'd say that they're about equal if you push your 6800K to the max. however, that produces a ton more heat.

plus, you aren't thinking about motherboard cost. it's astronomical for X99 boards.

Money isnt really an issue if you can afford to buy into the X99 platform. 

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Of course a 6900K is better than a 1700. it's literally over 3 times the price.

the 6900K is even better than the 1800X.

however, when you consider price, and an option between a 6800K and a 1700X, the 1700X wins hands down with similar IPC, faster clockspeed, and 25% more cores.

So far, everything I have run on the 1700 has been erratic, unstable, and slow. Handbrake encodes are taking nearly twice as long.

The 6900K still has good value for some workloads. I can buy 2 Ryzen 1700 systems for the price of a 6900K system. I would draw the same amount of power, and get the same amount of work done in a smaller footprint with the 6900K.

Just now, Cyborgsmith said:

Money isnt really an issue if you can afford to buy into the X99 platform. 

Which is why I'm saying that you could get a better deal on the X370 platform.

It's like buying a Titan XP, and a GTX 1080Ti, and saying that "Money isn't an issue if you can afford to get a halo-tier GPU"

It probably won't crush OP financially if he does decide on X99, considering he was going to go for it anyway, but isn't it always cool get save a hundred dollars or so? (without losing performance.)

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, DrMikeNZ said:

So far, everything I have run on the 1700 has been erratic, unstable, and slow. Handbrake encodes are taking nearly twice as long.

The 6900K still has good value for some workloads. I can buy 2 Ryzen 1700 systems for the price of a 6900K system. I would draw the same amount of power, and get the same amount of work done in a smaller footprint with the 6900K.

Have you updated the BIOS yet?

2nd and 3rd revision BIOSes should be much better.

anyway, you could buy 2 1800X systems for the price of a 6900K, in which case you would draw slightly more power, but get much more work done.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Have you updated the BIOS yet?

2nd and 3rd revision BIOSes should be much better.

anyway, you could buy 2 1800X systems for the price of a 6900K, in which case you would draw slightly more power, but get much more work done.

Currently running F4. The next bios is still in beta, and pretty much just enables a 12 month Xsplit licence that I don't need.

I was exaggerating on being able to buy 2 1700 systems. I would be able to buy 1.83 1700 systems (only 1.50 1800X systems) for the price of a 6900K system.

8 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Currently running F4. The next bios is still in beta, and pretty much just enables a 12 month Xsplit licence that I don't need.

I was exaggerating on being able to buy 2 1700 systems. I would be able to buy 1.83 1700 systems (only 1.50 1800X systems) for the price of a 6900K system.

The price of a 6900K + The cheapest X99 motherboard on PCpartpicker is $1179 (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WgyYcc)

The price of an 1800X + The cheapest AM4 motherboard on PCpartpicker is $578 (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vgYxNN)

so, i can absolutely buy two ryzen 1800X systems for the price of one 6900K system.

Desktop:

Laptop:

the amount of ryzen love hate here is great but as far as my temp i figured it was my voltage settings were really off i set the clock back to default and was still getting the same temps at 4.2 and vcore was at 1.36v and i did some playing around and got it stable at .800v at 4.2 and brought down my idle temp to 27c and max temp under load 66c using prime95 i can live with that this is just my gaming rig with 2 1070 ftw but i do want to do a x99 money isnt a problem its weather im gonna go with a 6800k or a 6900k with 2 1080 ti just not sure and it'll take time bc i do plan on doing the open loop with waterblocking the ti's but i did some digging with the voltage issue i was having and it seems to be common with z270 boards that the voltage is a little funky 

3 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

The price of a 6900K + The cheapest X99 motherboard on PCpartpicker is $1179 (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WgyYcc)

The price of an 1800X + The cheapest AM4 motherboard on PCpartpicker is $578 (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vgYxNN)

so, i can absolutely buy two ryzen 1800X systems for the price of one 6900K system.

Neither of those motherboards have the features I require. When you build 2 systems you need 2x Case + power supply + OS license + SSD + (GPU unlesss you run headless) + cooler (unless using stock for 1700 etc which pushes up the price of 2 systems a lot.

the amount of ryzen love hate here is great

Sorry, it is rather off topic. I do not hate Ryzen, it is a very good value processor, and I do not regret buying it. Although for some workloads x99 can still be a very good choice.

x99 money isnt a problem its weather im gonna go with a 6800k or a 6900k with 2 1080 ti

I chose the 6900K for my system because I run a lot of massively multithreaded applications and get a huge benefit from the extra cores. When spending $9000 NZD all up on the system (including monitors etc), the price difference between the 6800K and 6900K became negligible. Even the 6950X almost made sense (although I would have gone dual socket Xeon instead). If it is just gaming, probably the 6800K or hold off until the X299 platform is released.

i set the clock back to default and was still getting the same temps at 4.2 and vcore was at 1.36v and i did some playing around and got it stable at .800v at 4.2 and brought down my idle temp to 27c and max temp under load 66c using prime95 i can live with that ...

i did some digging with the voltage issue i was having and it seems to be common with z270 boards that the voltage is a little funky

I don't have much experience with z270 boards. Although in practice overclocks often do not give good returns.

Running at the lower clock speed you will likely have a negligible performance difference, seeing the lower number may have a placebo effect.

im waiting to see on what the x299 offers if there are really any added benefits i know the x99 platfrom will go down in price atleast mobo wise make it easier to make a pick

but as far as my i7 . 7700k  the msi sli plus board has been really buggy

giving me issues like screen glitching when sli is on and when i pull one card out but im not sure whats going on tbh so im just running one card still happens every now and then but not as offten