MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k vs MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4k: Price vs performance

If you want 4K, be aware that both MSI 4K models use PenTile not-true-4K displays.

For those who are unfamiliar with the issue, RG/BW PenTile replaces the RGB in each pixel with either only RG, or only BW. The hardware and software are still preparing a full 3840x2160 picture, but display doesn't have enough RGB components to render it in full detail. This is often regarded to be a deceptive marketing practice.

Many of today's laptops that formerly claimed this resolution by using PenTile, have moved to true full-RGB-matrix 3840x2160 displays. The Dell Inspiron 4K and HP Spectre x360 15t 4K both made that change this year, but it would appear that the MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro 4K has not. If it is important to you to get the full 3840x2160 resolution, I would advise to purchase a different laptop that is confirmed to use a true 3840x2160 display, such as the Eurocom MX5 configured with one of the Sharp IGZO displays (Sharp = true 4K, Samsung = another PenTile). The upcoming Acer VN7-593G might be using true UHD as well.

As always, comparison image:
8pYBfcU.png

And the other comparison image:
YcZTyJf.jpg

Keep in mind, Skylake and Maxwell will run cooler than Kaby Lake and Pascal, so if you typically operate a laptop in hotter environments, you'll face thermal throttling with the 63VR.

For my GS63VR, I have the CPU undervolted by 125mV, and in high end workloads like Prime95, it still rises to 81C. The GPU, while in Overwatch, with the frame rate capped at 150FPS, I'm reaching 85C, and this is all while running with a room temp of 65F. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

32 minutes ago, Suika said:

Keep in mind, Skylake and Maxwell will run cooler than Kaby Lake and Pascal

This is true. but do remember that they upgraded the gs63's cooling system. it went from a 2 fan design to 3 fan + more heatsink design. Granted you are completely right that in hotter areas it will throttle, but that is the nature of thin laptops. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, sicily428 said:

Obsidian pc is working for selling also msi barebones. So you could contact them for this msi gs63 :)

can't find it anywhere, can you config the barebones on their website?

1 hour ago, Suika said:

Keep in mind, Skylake and Maxwell will run cooler than Kaby Lake and Pascal, so if you typically operate a laptop in hotter environments, you'll face thermal throttling with the 63VR.

For my GS63VR, I have the CPU undervolted by 125mV, and in high end workloads like Prime95, it still rises to 81C. The GPU, while in Overwatch, with the frame rate capped at 150FPS, I'm reaching 85C, and this is all while running with a room temp of 65F. 

tbh, the heat is not such a big deal since at home i'll be using a cooling pad underneath, and at school i'll be switching to the integrated Intel HD graphics 620 unless i'm doing some rendering

2 hours ago, Dumbee said:

can't find it anywhere, can you config the barebones on their website?

i chat with them this morning in notebookreview forum.

here this chat

"Me: Do you have also msi barebones?

Obsidian:Nop no MSI at the moment. We are working to try to get some too.

Me:I'm also considering an msi 16L13 and i am very happy if i could buy it by obsidian. icon_smile.gif Do you have some infos about when it could be possible?

Obsidian: Nop, we are trying to negotiate order quantities for each keyboard language. Only after we can settle this we will be able to place a factory order.

Me:do you are considering also msi gs63 barebones?

Obsidian:As soon as we start selling MSI (still not sure when) we will be able to sell any model. We are just trying to figure out stuff like minimal order purchases for each keyboard language, options/costs, shipping, etc."

Spoiler

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

Me: Do you have also msi barebones?

Me:I'm also considering an msi 16L13 and i am very happy if i could buy it by obsidian. icon_smile.gif Do you have some infos about when it could be possible?

Obsidian: Nop, we are trying to negotiate order quantities for each keyboard language. Only after we can settle this we will be able to place a factory order.

Obsidian:As soon as we start selling MSI (still not sure when) we will be able to sell any model. We are just trying to figure out stuff like minimal order purchases for each keyboard language, options/costs, shipping, etc.

oh nice, it would probably be cheaper to configure it on obsidian's website with the exact same specs

Just now, Dumbee said:

oh nice, it would probably be cheaper to configure it on obsidian's website with the exact same specs

yes, it's possible. so contact them :)

Spoiler

1 minute ago, sicily428 said:

Me: Do you have also msi barebones?

Obsidian:As soon as we start selling MSI (still not sure when) we will be able to sell any model. We are just trying to figure out stuff like minimal order purchases for each keyboard language, options/costs, shipping, etc.

btw do you think obsidian would give a true 4k screen option? since someone told here the 4k is a "fake 4k" and it kinda looks like a normal 1080p screen to me, would they offer a better screen?

4 minutes ago, Dumbee said:

btw do you think obsidian would give a true 4k screen option? since someone told here the 4k is a "fake 4k" and it kinda looks like a normal 1080p screen to me, would they offer a better screen?

i'm not sure but i think it is possible in 2 or 3 months.in a barebone you could choise also display.

Spoiler

The only 4K option I see on Obsidian is in one of their 17.3" models.

All 17.3" 3840x2160 displays currently available, to my knowledge, are the real deal. That includes Clevos, the MSI GS73VR 4K, the HP Pavilion/Omen 17 4K, etc. It's mostly 15.6" where the not-true-4K is something to worry about, and 13.3" where not-true-3200x1800 can be an issue.

Is the 4k on the late 2017 Razer Blade a true 4k? If so I might wait for that to come out

2 minutes ago, Dumbee said:

Is the 4k on the late 2017 Razer Blade a true 4k? If so I might wait for that to come out

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/razer-ceo-covering-up-cheap-poor-design-of-razer-notebooks.801443/

no. you shouldn't. couple of hardware techs dismantled the Razer Blades and noticed shit mosfets everywhere. Literally forces blades to break in a few years so you can buy a new one. That is if the thermals dont fuck up the internals first.

Laptop Main

1 minute ago, Dumbee said:

that doesn't talk about the kaby lake version tho

...you do know nothing changes laptop to laptop since like forever right. they update the cpu and chipset and gpu and everything else is the same. they've used the same heatsink for like 3 generations. same shit hdt heatsink. saves a ton of money when you can reuse your motherboard design exactly the same because they use soldered ram as well. 

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

...you do know nothing changes laptop to laptop since like forever right. they update the cpu and chipset and gpu and everything else is the same. they've used the same heatsink for like 3 generations. same shit hdt heatsink. 

if the only problem is the thermals, i've said here already, i'll be using a cooling pad while gaming and while at school i'll be switching to the integrated graphics

Just now, Dumbee said:

if the only problem is the thermals, i've said here already, i'll be using a cooling pad while gaming and while at school i'll be switching to the integrated graphics

cooling pad doesn't do much i dont know if anyone's told you that. and there is not "switching" to integrated graphics. it runs on optimus already. i mean if you want to get a blade it's your money. don't ask for troubleshooting tips if it doesn't work though. 

Laptop Main

Just now, Pendragon said:

cooling pad doesn't do much i dont know if anyone's told you that. and there is not "switching" to integrated graphics. it runs on optimus already. i mean if you want to get a blade it's your money. don't ask for troubleshooting tips if it doesn't work though. 

then what are your recomendations on a light, gtx 1060, minimalistic design laptop? with a 4k screen ofc

Just now, Dumbee said:

then what are your recomendations on a light, gtx 1060, minimalistic design laptop? with a 4k screen ofc

There is none. You can't get one which doesn't have outstanding flaws due to thermodynamics. What you want doesn't exist. All thin and light laptops will be hot as shit and loud as shit and will run far worse than thicker laptops because it's TDP throttled (eg Razer Blade TDP throttles it 1060 so it doesn't get good performance). Razer is especialy bad because they shrunk their power adapter to a size where a) it doesn't have enough power to charge a fully functioning 1060 which is why they tdp throttle it b) it's too small and it's hot as hell and overheats (we're talking about the power adapter here). Not to mention 4k drains battery life like crazy. Same thing applies to a GS63VR which has a 4k. 

other models like the gs43vr look gaudy as fuck in my opinion. the gs63vr i recommend is the barebones model with no msi branding, but that only comes with a 1080p screen and it's HIGHLY not recommended to swap screens on a gs63vr because the screen is glued together and it's really easy to break the bezel if you try to swap it out. the standard gs63vr 4k screen which is a Samsung 156FL02-P01 (SDC424B) is pretty shit with luminance at 200 nits and constrat at 400:1. 

aorus x3 still insists on using the god awful 1800p sharp display SHP1401 LQ140Z1JW01 and still hasn't changed it. 

the best possible thin and light 1060 option i can think of is custom to all hell. 

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16s-1060-gs63vr-custom-built-gaming-laptop-pc.html

You grab this for a base model. Get the liquid metal and whatever upgrades you want. LM is required for lower acoustics and better temps. 

You buy http://www.panelook.com/LQ156D1JX01B_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_28139.html this exact display. This is one of Sharp's 15in 4k displays (they have variations), but this is by far the best 15in 4k display current on the market cept professional displays like my Zbook 15's dreamcolor, XPS15's custom display, and Macbook 15's unique aspect ratio custom display. Get it off ebay or something, make sure it's a reputable seller because there are fake displays.

You need to buy a replacement bezel because you will break the bezel cause it's bloody glued for the GS63VR from HID so you get the one without branding. And you replace the screen yourself.

Alternatively you can just call HID to see if they'll do a custom unit for you at a premium. 

That's what I would get myself if I was ever so in need of a light notebook. Which I don't because I prefer better cooled, proper business laptops like my Zbook15. 

Laptop Main

5 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

There is none. You can't get one which doesn't have outstanding flaws due to thermodynamics. What you want doesn't exist. All thin and light laptops will be hot as shit and loud as shit and will run far worse than thicker laptops because it's TDP throttled (eg Razer Blade TDP throttles it 1060 so it doesn't get good performance). Razer is especialy bad because they shrunk their power adapter to a size where a) it doesn't have enough power to charge a fully functioning 1060 which is why they tdp throttle it b) it's too small and it's hot as hell and overheats (we're talking about the power adapter here). Not to mention 4k drains battery life like crazy. Same thing applies to a GS63VR which has a 4k. 

other models like the gs43vr look gaudy as fuck in my opinion. the gs63vr i recommend is the barebones model with no msi branding, but that only comes with a 1080p screen and it's HIGHLY not recommended to swap screens on a gs63vr because the screen is glued together and it's really easy to break the bezel if you try to swap it out. the standard gs63vr 4k screen which is a Samsung 156FL02-P01 (SDC424B) is pretty shit with luminance at 200 nits and constrat at 400:1. 

aorus x3 still insists on using the god awful 1800p sharp display SHP1401 LQ140Z1JW01 and still hasn't changed it. 

the best possible thin and light 1060 option i can think of is custom to all hell. 

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-16s-1060-gs63vr-custom-built-gaming-laptop-pc.html

You grab this for a base model. Get the liquid metal and whatever upgrades you want. LM is required for lower acoustics and better temps. 

You buy http://www.panelook.com/LQ156D1JX01B_SHARP_15.6_LCM_overview_28139.html this exact display. This is one of Sharp's 15in 4k displays (they have variations), but this is by far the best 15in 4k display current on the market cept professional displays like my Zbook 15's dreamcolor, XPS15's custom display, and Macbook 15's unique aspect ratio custom display. Get it off ebay or something, make sure it's a reputable seller because there are fake displays.

You need to buy a replacement bezel because you will break the bezel cause it's bloody glued for the GS63VR from HID so you get the one without branding. And you replace the screen yourself.

Alternatively you can just call HID to see if they'll do a custom unit for you at a premium. 

That's what I would get myself if I was ever so in need of a light notebook. Which I don't because I prefer better cooled, proper business laptops like my Zbook15. 

isn't laptops like the Zbook 15 expensive af tho? 

22 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

can't find the gs63vr with a 1080p, if I could. I would buy it and an external 4k monitor

4 minutes ago, Dumbee said:

can't find the gs63vr with a 1080p, if I could. I would buy it and an external 4k monitor

I linked it in my post.

This is a MSI whitebook. No branding. No logos. 

Laptop Main

13 minutes ago, Dumbee said:

Them taxes tho... xD

WAIT. Where do u live?

Laptop Main