Static IP for an extra 10$/mo a good deal?

Go to solution Solved by tom564,

10$ extra a month is not worth it for home use IMO although 20$ for 5 addresses i would consider if you host servers.  i would just stick with a dynamic address and go with a dynDNS service such as no-ip 

and this forum is built on the premise of giving people help and advice. regardless of their inexperience.

Telling people to just google things is actually against CoC Core Values

I assumed sharing info on how to DoS people, being that it is illegal, would be against the rules. Sorry officer.

"The internet is a series of tubes"

I assumed sharing info on how to DoS people, being that it is illegal, would be against the rules. Sorry officer.

Finding an IP isn't always about Dosing People,

I can be DoS'd by one guy with a macro sending me the word Beep on battlelog, no IP needed. so finding out how to get someones IP does not mean they're going to DoS them.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

STATIC IS ALWAYS BETTER.

Cannot emphasise that point enough. IPv4 which is protocol that defines IP addresses, was designed for every device in the world to have it's own unique IP address. Now we've reached the point where IPv4 addresses are exhausted ISPs are now using dynamic IP addresses, which is only really good for getting around various website and service bans (Not that you should do that in the first place). That may work against you also since you could get an address that's been abused by someone else before you and end up being pre-banned from a number of websites & services.

From a networking standpoint dynamic IP addressing requires quite a bit of DNS (website address) caching, plus any caching websites and services might do for you to speed your service up becomes invalid whenever your IP address changes. To counteract this a lot of ISPs run their own caching services and content networks which will speed up access to websites, but slow down streamed connections like those you use in gaming (resulting in higher latency).

Dynamic IP addresses also mean hosting content at home is very difficult since you cannot assign your home network an IP address you can access, nor even a reliable IP address you can memorize to access from anywhere outside of home. I know about dynamic DNS services, which have existed for quite a while, they can be quite cheap but DNS wasn't designed in a way that a DNS record needed to be updated multiple times a week just so it's valid. DNS caching means that there are a lot of places in the world that are still got the wrong IP address for that DNS domain you've got for your home network.

Is $10 a month worthwhile? Depends on if you're hosting anything (A website, maybe a game server, etc.), or if you need to connect to your home network remotely. If so, yes it's definitely worthwhile and really the only sensible approach if you want to do either of those things. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, the extra latency is usually minimal and really not worth paying the extra $10 for a solution that may or may not be why you're perhaps getting above-average latency in your games.