Suddenly can't boot. Debug code > early CPU initialization

This morning I went to turn on my computer and it won't post. Motherboard's debug code says "early CPU initialization" please help. Specs bellow:

i7 4790K

MSI Z97 gaming 7

gtx 970 wind force 

32gb ram (4x8) ballistix 

psu: evga supernova 650gs 

check if all cables are connected correctly, then remove the gpu, then try with one stick of ram, and then i'd suggest taking the cpu out to see if something is wrong there.

Tried 1 stick of ram, no gpu, no hard drives. I tried a different psu. Nothing yet. I'll check to see if there's bent CPU pins but I doubt it I mean it was working fine yesterday.  

So I went to micro center and got a refurbished z97 board to test things and the CPU is fine, so is the ram, but my 970 seems to be dead. I tried an old gpu in the same pcie lane and it worked. I tried all the ports in the 970 and nothing. Booting with integrated graphics worked in the new board but not in the old one so I guess both my motherboard and the 970 are dead. 

I found a refurb 980 reference in microcenter for 250 so I got that and I got the machine back up and running again. The new board is not as cool as the one I had but at least I got a bit of an upgrade out of it with the gpu. (Trying to stay positive since this took up my whole Saturday and I wasn't planning on spending this much money without warning)