Dealing with a semi warped 7970

davewatts

Picked up a "broken" 7970 for $25 that seemed to work perfectly fine in heaven for over 4 hours and overclocks very well. Not knowing the history of the card I pulled it apart after stress testing to add new paste and removes the old worn pads but in doing so I noticed the heat sink where the house die meets is semi warped. Seems only the edges make contact and the center is dished up.

so after pulling the heat sink and scrapping all the harden concrete of paste it had it no longer make good enough contact to cool the CPU ilynder any load other than sitting at the desktop.

What's the best course of action here other than a full replacement heatsink? Will a thin thermal bridge the gap? More thermal paste as it had factory? But that seems to just be doing more insulating than heat transfer

I assume the heatsink is fucked, if it's ref design you could toss on an arctic cooler:

arctic.ac is their site

idk

take some sandpaper to it(verry, verry fine grit) or get a new cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

What is warped, is it the pcb or heatsink?

It the the copper that contacts the die,it's about as straight as a spoon lol. Going with 1000 grit but idk how much I can take off before nothing meets

IMG_0187.JPG

Well after another 20 with the 100 grit I said screw it and went do won to 60 until it was basically worked out and Damn near made it flush with the rest of the block lol. Worked back up to 1000 grit and reinstalled it with no pads on the ram just a dab of as5 lol and it's currently running heaven for about 20 mins so seems to be a win so far

7 hours ago, davewatts said:

Well after another 20 with the 100 grit I said screw it and went do won to 60 until it was basically worked out and Damn near made it flush with the rest of the block lol. Worked back up to 1000 grit and reinstalled it with no pads on the ram just a dab of as5 lol and it's currently running heaven for about 20 mins so seems to be a win so far

Get some pads before you warp it again

1 hour ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Get some pads before you warp it again

Pretty sure the pads are going to cause contact issues now that I had to take off so much copper, vrm's and everything else still has pads