Backuped some files, they use more space on the backup drive...

NoisanceRitual
Go to solution Solved by NoisanceRitual,

never mind guys haha sorry

Hey i just backuped some files, they use more space on the backup drive...

Like something 1gig on the drive will be 1.1 or 1.2gb on the backup drive...

It's a wd 8tb new usb 3 external. What's happening???

How is the ... 

Spoiler

967.png

How is this possible?  The size of the files is 76.9 MB but they take up 128 MB on disk!?  O.o

I could understand this if you had an enormous number of very tiny files (less than 4 KB each) but... this is just... idk... I will watch this with much curiosity.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How is the ... 

Reveal hidden contents

967.png

How is this possible?  The size of the files is 76.9 MB but they take up 128 MB on disk!?  O.o

I could understand this if you had an enormous number of very tiny files (less than 4 KB each) but... this is just... idk... I will watch this with much curiosity.

If it's one large file then it would take up the same space, but it's probably a bunch of smaller files that aren't as efficiently allocated in the blocks.

This is why NTFS is usually used for larger file systems rather than fat and the other formats.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It is because of the file system.  File systems are why storage devices use more storage than the files actually are when storing.  The first drive probably have a file system that happens to be more efficient at storing those files, or just more efficient.  If you check, they will [probably see that they use different file-systems.  For example most PCs use NTFS and my favourite files-system for external storage is exFAT.  By the way, you can easily change file-systems with Disk Utility (Mac) and Disk Management (Windows).  I personally prefer Disk Utility (Mac only) because of it's nice interface, etc...   But some people have different preferences and both do basically the exact same thing.  To check the filesystem of a storage device or partition, find the drive or partition in file explorer, right click on it, then click properties, near the top it will say "Filesystem:" what is after that is that drive or partition's filesystem.  For more information, check the attached picture.  Hope this was helpful!         :)  Filesystems use more space on the drive than the size of the file because the files aren't just all dumped together like cakes in a bowl, but instead are like closets and cabinets, sometimes you can't completely or perfectly fill each drawer, there is space for the cabinet (like data integrity data), etc....

PS. I tried to circle the filesystem part of my screenshot and I think I did, but when I exported it, it was not there, so yeah...   Just look for it, the circle around NTFS (what most PCs) use is not there like I would have liked....  Hope my explanation and analogy was decent.  I might be incorrect in some parts though....

LTTHDDS.PNG

And Windows Disk Management looks like this, just FYI.\

BTW, be careful, you can seriously mess up your computer by messing around in Disk Management, but if you're careful all will be fine.

Guess that's enough info....  Bye!!

LTT2.PNG

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

If it's one large file then it would take up the same space, but it's probably a bunch of smaller files that aren't as efficiently allocated in the blocks.

This is why NTFS is usually used for larger file systems rather than fat and the other formats.

Except there are only 64 Files and 5 Folders.  I know you can create a 1 byte text file that has a size of 1 byte but a size on disk of 4 KB (by default) but there aren't nearly enough files to account for the sizes shown here :/ 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Except there are only 64 Files and 5 Folders.  I know you can create a 1 byte text file that has a size of 1 byte but a size on disk of 4 KB (by default) but there aren't nearly enough files to account for the sizes shown here :/ 

well...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

Lots of info there :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

" exFAT allows individual files larger than 4 GiB, facilitating long continuous recording of HD video which can exceed the 4 GiB limit in less than an hour. Current digital cameras using FAT32 will break the video files into multiple segments of approximately 2 or 4 GiB. With the increase of capacity and the increase of data being transferred, the write operation needs to be made more efficient. SDXC cards, running at UHS-I have a minimum guaranteed write speed of 10 MBps and exFAT plays a factor in achieving that throughput through the reduction of the file system overhead in cluster allocation.  "

So how big are the clusters?  Obviously massively larger than 4 KB

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So how big are the clusters?  Obviously massively larger than 4 KB

I linked all the info, its a lot to go through.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I linked all the info, its a lot to go through.

Cluster size up to 32 MiB.

Alright.  Well, it would be good to know the default, but I guess this is better than nothing.  If the cluster size has been set somewhere near this, it would explain the things we're seeing here.

8 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

And Windows Disk Management looks like this, just FYI.\

BTW, be careful, you can seriously mess up your computer by messing around in Disk Management, but if you're careful all will be fine.

Guess that's enough info....  Bye!!

LTT2.PNG

why do you have a 97GB hole in your disk ? secret partition ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64