Why to use Linux

He guys I have just thought about trying Linux out and building a cheap pc for it but before I spend my money what can I do with Linux that windows can't. And what are some advantages of Linux. I don't know how to code but am very happy to learn will that be a problem?

You get to use cool sounding commands like grep. And shaving your neck is now optional.

Kidding aside, subscribe immediately to Level1Tech! Wendell is a genius in Linux and their forum is very helpful.

5 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

He guys I have just thought about trying Linux out and building a cheap pc for it but before I spend my money what can I do with Linux that windows can't. And what are some advantages of Linux. I don't know how to code but am very happy to learn will that be a problem?

Linux can do so much that before you even build the PC make sure it has a purpose, most games and programs support mainly Windows. Trust me though the things you can do with Linux are awesome look up something to make/use it for first. :D

its free, customization out the wazoo, incredable freedom to do whatever as long as you dont play games that run on DX, EVERYTHING IS FREE! there are some more but i cant bother listing them right now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You do not need to know how to code.

Look up linux vs windows...

Linux cannot run a lot of the programs you likely use.

You will want to be comfortable with the command line, which you can learn but it might take a bit.

Also make sure the drivers for the things you have (wifi adapter, graphics card) work with Linux.

I recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint to start.

Oh, and did I mention Linux is as stable (if not more) than Mac OS X and is more secure than Mac or Windows? :D

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Thanks the pc I am building is very cheap or would I be able to run a virtual machine on my already existing pc?

1 minute ago, thegoogler said:

Thanks the pc I am building is very cheap or would I be able to run a virtual machine on my already existing pc?

Linux doesn't need a high end machine. The Raspberry Pi uses a distro of Linux and that's about as low end as you can get.

7 minutes ago, Lwizzit said:

Linux doesn't need a high end machine. The Raspberry Pi uses a distro of Linux and that's about as low end as you can get.

The reason I wanted to do it was because it would save me money. But thanks for thinking I have a powerful pc. :)

no need for extra hardware just dual boot or buy a second drive if you don't have the space. You can play a lot of steam games on Linux now

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

no need for extra hardware just dual boot or buy a second drive if you don't have the space. You can play a lot of steam games on Linux now

cool that's what i was looking around so I could still play fallout 4, just cause 3, bioshock, etc.

21 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

cool that's what i was looking around so I could still play fallout 4, just cause 3, bioshock, etc.

not fallout 4. I dont know about the others. have a look on steam if it has a linux system requirement. Some games can be played using Wine but not always perfectly

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

It's subjective, but I personally found it easier to get into using the terminal on Linux than the command prompt on Windows, especially if you install fish or zsh with syntax highlighting, completions and auto-suggestions.

Also, here's something cool you can use with Linux that you can't use with Windows:

KDE Connect, an Android app that lets you share notifications and the clipboard with your computer and send mouse and keyboard input from your phone's touch screen and software keyboard to your computer. It's called KDE connect, but you can use it with desktop environments besides KDE. Really nice if you want to connect your computer to your TV and control it from the couch or multi-task with multiple devices.

Another tip:

When looking at the icons representing what operating systems a Steam game works with, the Steam icon means Steam OS, which is based on Linux. Steam OS games are compatible with other Linux distros.