High Static Air Pressure Rated 120mm Fans?

EnergyEclipse
Go to solution Solved by agent_x007,

Actually, China seller has wrong describtion.
Data sheet says it's "only" 10,92mm H2O :D

My 2-cents about high presure/CFM fan :
Noctua is for guys who like silence and have too much cash, for Real performance - you go Delta/Sanyo Denki with PWM control.
Watch out for inverted PWM's models (Fan specific).

FYI : I used to cool my main PC with this monster - LINK, now I have those mounted : LINK ;)

Hello there all!

As of now, my current PC's chassis remains as one of Kolink's exceptionally sleek 'Refractor'.

Spoiler

Although greeted upon first assembly within it by some major hiccups, to name a few being the horrific placements of the finger squeezes in which remove of the front face panel and lack of height between the top panel of the case and the fans there, I managed to just about squeeze in two 'Auoker 120mm White 33 LED Grid' fans as the front airflow intakes and two of Corsair's SP120 Quiet Edition 120mm fans as the top two airflow exhausts.

Although they looked impeccable upon first glance at there aesthetics, the Auoker fans clearly do not have the required Static Air Pressure or CFM rating needed to push airflow through both a Hard Drive Cage, one HDD & an single SSD as I later found whilst browsing through there specifications. My poor GPU idles at just around 70oC, although I know the maximum should really be 64oC for an idle temperature on a GPU, with it being an EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti FTW Edition.

My options now would only reasonably be to find fans of an upgraded specification, with only a £20 per fan as a max budget. I glanced around of Fractal Design's website for a good few minutes before finding the Venturi HP-12 PWM (With tripwire). These, if I may admit looked pretty brilliant for constructions qualities and technologies behind it, and specifications seems reasonable I would suppose. Does anyone have any previous experience with these fans per chance? Is the price worth it for what you receive from the fans? Noise it not really an issue within sense.

Thank you massively in advance!

Any other fan recommendations would be much appreciated! :D

Spoiler

(I have previously researched into EK Water Block's FF5-120 Furious Vardar fan, although construction quality seemed to be a huge issue with these fans according to some articles. I'll post them somewhere here soon!)

If possible, please do not share reccomendations to me for LED/illuminated fans. This will likely offset the colour scheme of my PC, slightly ruining the point of such chassis. Thank you!

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Hi there all!

To keep this question minimalistic in detail, I may begin by asking would anyone possibly have any recommendations for a 120mm fan (Of reasonable noise output), in which offers high static air pressure? Is there any in particular which you have had experience with previously? These fans will be required to push airflow through a incredibly restrictive space!

Thank you massively in advance! 

Noctua NF-F12 PWM. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Noctua NF-F12 PWM. 

Hello!

May I dare to differ, but the 120mm fan in which you have suggested being one of Noctua's NF-F12 PWM from my knowledge does not have the required amount of Static Air Pressure in which I require. Yes, FocusedFlowTM may provide to be overwhelmingly useful here, although further speaking into the fan it's CFM rating (I did not mention CFM, I understand this.) is certainly amongst the lowest I have seen for the price point.

However, I thank you very much for replying!

good question, I have found this answer NO...

quiet fans low SP that's the way it is and don't believe sellers hype

6 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

To keep this question minimalistic in detail, I may begin by asking would anyone possibly have any recommendations for a 120mm fan (Of reasonable noise output)

Just a reminder that 140mm fans would perform better because it has more surface area to move air but more quietly at a higher rpm if you decide to change the speed.

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

Hello!

May I dare to differ, but the 120mm fan in which you have suggested being one of Noctua's NF-F12 PWM from my knowledge does not have the required amount of Static Air Pressure in which I require. Yes, FocusedFlowTM may provide to be overwhelmingly useful here, although further speaking into the fan it's CFM rating (I did not mention CFM, I understand this.) is certainly amongst the lowest I have seen for the price point.

Have you looked at the IPPC version. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 hours ago, Astralye said:

Just a reminder that 140mm fans would perform better because it has more surface area to move air but more quietly at a higher rpm if you decide to change the speed.

Hi! Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes, I am aware very much of this information. I would if I had the choice use such sizing, although my chassis, being a Kolink Refractor, only allows for two 120mm fans within the front panel face. Width though would not matter as I would simply remove the this front face panel, but I simply cannot fit a 140mm fan in here due to the current mounting holes.

Thank you! :D

6 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Have you looked at the IPPC version. 

Hi again! My apologies, I had thought you meant the baseline model of these fans. I have seen of these fans before hand, as well as that I was actually considering purchasing these with some white cromax rubber mounts, but the price kind of threw me of slightly. I will value you recommendation, so thank you deeply for your help! :D I may just keep waiting to see if anyone else has any other suggestions before I spring on them.

12 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hello!

From what I remember when I researched this prior to setting up my loops, you shouldn't go by CFM, I'm sure that is a measure of the airflow. SP is a little different in that it is the force in which the air is moved by. They are different measures - just because a fan can move air at high speed doesn't mean it does so at a pressure required to over come the FPI of a radiator

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 minutes ago, jools said:

good question, I have found this answer NO...

quiet fans low SP that's the way it is and don't believe sellers hype

Yo!

The reason quieter fans tend to have lower Static Air Pressure ratings is due to there often always lower RPMs. This decreases airflow movement as found with many comparisons, although I suppose you have to make some sacrifice for silent operation of fans. Thank you though! :D

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

6 hours ago, stealth80 said:

From what I remember when I researched this prior to setting up my loops, you shouldn't go by CFM, I'm sure that is a measure of the airflow. SP is a little different in that it is the force in which the air is moved by. They are difference measures - just because a fan can move air at high speed doesn't mean it does so at a pressure required to over come the FPI of a radiator

I am very much aware of this, and so that is why I do not mention CFM in the central question. CFM is yes an airflow measurement, standing for Cubic Feet per Minute. Different fan blade optimizations I understand are adapted often for certain roles, whether it be Airflow or delivery of Static Air Pressure, as found with some of Corsair's fans, so I agree with you on the RPM mention.

Thank you though for your reply!!! :D

2 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I am very much aware of this, and so that is why I do not mention CFM in the central question. CFM is yes an airflow measurement, standing for Cubic Feet per Minute. Different fan blade optimizations I understand are adapted often for certain roles, whether it be Airflow or delivery of Static Air Pressure, as found with some of Corsair's fans, so I agree with you on the RPM mention.

2 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Thank you though for your reply!!! :D

I would just find a group test of 12omm radiator fans. There is quite a few kicking around. I bought my fans on cosmetics, I needed good white fans for my lower radiator and wanted lit fans for the upper radiator, which I ended up spraying white

linjuCt.jpg?1

NI2Qs6T.jpg?1

Ryzen Ram Guide

22 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Hi! Thank you very much for your reply!

Yes, I am aware very much of this information. I would if I had the choice use such sizing, although my chassis, being a Kolink Refractor, only allows for two 120mm fans within the front panel face. Width though would not matter as I would simply remove the this front face panel, but I simply cannot fit a 140mm fan in here due to the current mounting holes.

Thank you! :D

Yeah I checked it out. Too bad :(

hi

can you give us a reason why SP has gotta be high (photo example) and why 120mm size (case limitation etc.), most SP fan use is for high fin density on cooler etc. why I ask is there might be a work around someone can suggest.

its just that I was also looking for a high SP 120 fan at low to mid db. but 27db was about the best I could find. its always a trade off.

8 minutes ago, jools said:

hi

can you give us a reason why SP has gotta be high (photo example) and why 120mm size (case limitation etc.), most SP fan use is for high fin density on cooler etc. why I ask is there might be a work around someone can suggest.

its just that I was also looking for a high SP 120 fan at low to mid db. but 27db was about the best I could find. its always a trade off.

Hey!

I, personally, require of higher static pressure as with my chassis the bottom Hard Drive bay is populated by both a 3.5 inch bay hogging HDD, as well as an SSD. On this case in particular the Hard Drive cages themselves are very obstructive of the front two 120mm fans, only presenting slim octagon shaped holes which allows limited airflow to pass of the caddies. Thus, with my storage setup I need of fans which are capable of squeezing as much potential through forcing air stronger through the cage and into the more open motherboard compartment.

I hope this helped!

Image result for kolink refractor

yes it did ...it explained your reason for SP fans ....

poss alternative solutions...

1. mod chasis - rotate drive bay Y-axis if poss

2. method - as this appears to be a new build , why not get a low noise fan and test(meaning setup and monitor hdd,s temps with regular low noise fan to see if they are in a safe temp zone) which might be the situation..

3. drill holes in case for better air flow

6 hours ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Static pressure optimized designs sacrifice both acoustics and airflow.

How have you determined that it wouldn't be enough static pressure? If so, why do you need so much airflow?

From my experience, NF-F12's should have plenty if not too much static pressure instead of airflow for your use case. 

What are your current load temps?
Are you looking for better cooling or lower noise?

HP-12's are good but there may be better or cheaper options depending on what you're looking for. 

Please do not make multiple threads for the same discussion. They have been merged.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Delta AFB1212SH : LINK, its got PWM control so it doesn't have to run 100% all the time ;)
Here's it's whitepaper : LINK/LINK.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Static pressure optimized designs sacrifice both acoustics and airflow.

How have you determined that it wouldn't be enough static pressure? If so, why do you need so much airflow?

From my experience, NF-F12's should have plenty if not too much static pressure instead of airflow for your use case. 

What are your current load temps?
Are you looking for better cooling or lower noise?

HP-12's are good but there may be better or cheaper options depending on what you're looking for. 

Please do not make multiple threads for the same discussion. They have been merged.

Argh.

Hello!

May I ask in which thread did one post which featured resemblance to that of the central question I asked within this thread? Personally, I do not believe such was committed, as my thread post on whether or not to pick up some of Fractal Design's Venturi HP-12 PMWs presented no input by nobody, despite there being multi users online replying to other threads posted after mine.

Anyhow, I also did not mention that noise bothered me, but in fact that I did not mind the noise within a sensible level (Commonly being less than 50db.), but as for better cooling it would be most optimal for me just to help keep peace of mind for quite some time to come.

I am also aware of the fact that some more Static Air Pressure delivery optimized fans will potentially sacrifice on both acoustics (Not a massive issue as thy previously mentioned.), along with airflow delivery. And so that is kind of why I posted this thread in the first situation, wanting a fan in which offered a higher CFM and Static Air Pressure rating (mm H20)... xD

Although thank you for your input on HP-12s! :D I did just like mostly the idea of the Trip Wire technology, along with the fully rubber screw surrounding holes.

I have determined that the NF-F12's static air pressure rating is simply not enough, as I do remember reading of a recommendation that 3.0 mm H20 is likely the bare minimum for a more tightly obstructed space, such as that of a higher than 20 FPI radiator/heat dissipater, or incredibly restrictive obstructions positioned in front of the fan which is required to get it to a specific place. Which in my case (Excuse the pun please)  both the Hard Drive cage itself (You can see how restrictive it is in my image of the case a few threads above), and an 3.5 inch HDD, followed by an SSD below.

Thank you though for your help gravely! :D 

Edit* Oppss... I forgot my temperature recordings for you. CPU however is irrelevant as it is not positioned in a way in which may potentially be affected by anything other than just lack of air by some impossible means. Although, you must have read my appeal on the Venturis if you for some reason merged these two threads together as it is mentioned there.

Thanks again!

-EnergyEclipse

(Member)

17 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

Delta AFB1212SH : LINK, its got PWM control so it doesn't have to run 100% all the time ;)
Here's it's whitepaper : LINK/LINK.

Oh wow now that is a serious fan XDDDD 12.9+ mm H20? :DDDDDD Wowowwwiowowo I never thought I would see that for such a low price point.

Thank you mammoth size for your help to! This is certainly going on my list of fans to consider purchasing! This is truly helpful especially since you included the whitepapers so I really, really, appreciate that :D Thanks!

20 hours ago, jools said:

yes it did ...it explained your reason for SP fans ....

poss alternative solutions...

1. mod chasis - rotate drive bay Y-axis if poss

2. method - as this appears to be a new build , why not get a low noise fan and test(meaning setup and monitor hdd,s temps with regular low noise fan to see if they are in a safe temp zone) which might be the situation..

3. drill holes in case for better air flow

Sure! I may give that idea on the Y axis rotations for the top hard drive cage if possible. But I believe from my glance at it that it is riveted...I haven't a clue who thought that was a good idea at the Kolink office xD So maybe some basic mods uppose, or just removing of it altogether if I don't get another SSD for games

Actually, China seller has wrong describtion.
Data sheet says it's "only" 10,92mm H2O :D

Noctua is for guys who like silence and have too much cash, for Real performance - you go Delta/Sanyo Denki with PWM control.
Watch out for inverted PWM's models (Fan specific).

FYI : I used to cool my main PC with this monster - LINK, now I have those mounted : LINK ;)

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

Noctua is for guys who like silence and have too much cash, for Real performance - you go Delta/Sanyo Denki PWM models.
Watch out for inverted PWM's tho.

Being admittedly honest, I actually ever head of Delta fans for anything other than mammoth sized industrial scale cooling appliances, but also mostly like YHS (A super crude fan company in whom just make fans for being fans, always lower specification and poor construction qualities of mostly easily flexible plastic.), but appears not. noctua I would say do appear to have decent construction qualities (IP67 grade water proofing, FocusedFlow technology construction),as without Linus likely wouldn't be such a fan of them (xD both pun and not.), and according to the many articles on them on tom's hardware.

I like Gentle Typhoons in the higher price range and Swiftech Helix for the lower range.