Kaby Lake or wait for Coffee lake?

Ok So I am eventually upgrading from my ivy Bridge i5 3350P which has served me well but it is old. But it will likely be a little while longer by then kaby lake will be aobut and possibly not far off from then coffee lake. I am wondering if I wish to get the most out of the performance boost should i wait and go with Coffee lake? I do games raging from strategy to FPS to any number of things and I'd like to get back into streaming for my friends some too Xsplit is choppy on my current I5 with a nasty delay. So thought of maybe going I7.

8 minutes ago, Tellos said:

Ok So I am eventually upgrading from my ivy Bridge i5 3350P which has served me well but it is old. But it will likely be a little while longer by then kaby lake will be aobut and possibly not far off from then coffee lake. I am wondering if I wish to get the most out of the performance boost should i wait and go with Coffee lake? I do games raging from strategy to FPS to any number of things and I'd like to get back into streaming for my friends some too Xsplit is choppy on my current I5 with a nasty delay. So thought of maybe going I7.

Have you considered a temporary upgrade to a same socket i7?  It shouldn't cost much second hand and may boost performance, especially in streaming

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

10 minutes ago, Tellos said:

Its the same as always, if you wait then there will allways be something better. Though in this case with what AMD has just done to the cpu market, it could be worth it... But there probably wont be another CPU from intel for a while even with what AMD has done.... So really it depends on if your willing to wait a possible long time for what might be a small upgrade or just get something that works great now. I decided to forgo waiting the extra two months for kaby lake and get a 6700k and Im not really dissapointed since the performance increase was shit all. However I am dissapointed since intel pulled the shitty 4k DRM thing with the new chips, that being said I can always just put my current 6700k in a new server and get a 7700k down the line...

So just ask yourself if you think the wait would be worth it, but understand that there will always be something shiny and new down the line and the performance increase from the previous generation may not be all that good.

~ Main Rig ~

- Ryzen 9 3950X 16 Core 32 Threads - EVGA 3090 KINGPIN HYBRID - 32GB DDR4 3600mhz - 

- 6TB SSD Array + 2TB MP600 NVME Gen4 Boot - 

- Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER - Lian li O11 Dynamic XL - NZXT Kraken X73 + 16 Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans - 

~ Accessories ~

- Logitech G915 + G903 - LG C9 OLED PG279Q 27'' [1440p 165hz G-Sync] +  PG27AQ27'' [4k 60hz G-Sync] -
2x 1440p Portrait 25'' Dell - DT 990 Pro Headphones -

~ Servers ~

- 100TB NAS + Server's w/ 6700k - 32 + 64GB Ram - NVME Boot - Gigabit Unlimited Fiber -

Maybe not coffee lake but the i7 7740k is coming this year that might be worth giving a look, a polished 7700k which is a polished 6700k... the 8700k will be a polished 7740k and so on until Intel manage to go 10nm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Have you considered a temporary upgrade to a same socket i7?  It shouldn't cost much second hand and may boost performance, especially in streaming

Trouble is everyone wants 600 bucks for them. For that I can buy a new i5 and motherboard.

2 minutes ago, Inrix said:

Its the same as always, if you wait then there will allways be something better. Though in this case with what AMD has just done to the cpu market, it could be worth it... But there probably wont be another CPU from intel for a while even with what AMD has done.... So really it depends on if your willing to wait a possible long time for what might be a small upgrade or just get something that works great now. I decided to forgo waiting the extra two months for kaby lake and get a 6700k and Im not really dissapointed since the performance increase was shit all. However I am dissapointed since intel pulled the shitty 4k DRM thing with the new chips, that being said I can always just put my current 6700k in a new server and get a 7700k down the line...

So just ask yourself if you think the wait would be worth it, but understand that there will always be something new a shiny and the performance increase from the previous generation may not be all that good.

On waiting it's a set time frame range not jsut wait forever. But it'd be for late this year or early next year. So At latest talking April 2018. I won't obther waiting on cannon lake likely as that is gonna be hellish.

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Maybe not coffee lake but the i7 7740k is coming this year that might be worth giving a look, a polished 7700k which is a polished 6700k... the 8700k will be a polished 7740k and so on until Intel manage to go 10nm.

As stated above this all kinda is in the likelihood of late nov at earliest up to next year. I'll be saving up cash for what I want.

22 hours ago, Tellos said:

Same as kaby lake.

this is good! :)

Spoiler

I say go Kaby Lake

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 hours ago, Tellos said:

@sicily428  Thats to best of my knowledge so unless it changes for some reason.

Coffee Lake is 14nm and is LGA1151 socket , it is confirmed Canon Lake is 10nm and may or may not be LGA1151 but Coffee Lake is confirmed.

@RevoltTrain But Confirmed to come out later this year when my plans for new PC come up. Why woudl I still go kaby lake. Also rumor is it'll have a 6 Core CPU.

13 hours ago, M.A.P said:

Coffee Lake is 14nm and is LGA1151 socket , it is confirmed Canon Lake is 10nm and may or may not be LGA1151 but Coffee Lake is confirmed.

Thanks! :)

so i could upgrade cpu in my desktop pc

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

Thanks! :)

so i could upgrade cpu in my desktop pc

Theoretically yes. I think Motherboard manufacturers will release BIOS updates for existing LGA 1151 boards to support Coffee Lake as every time when Intel released new gen cpus with same socket as previous ones existing motherboards got BIOS updates to support new gen cpus and newly released motherboards support both new and previous gen cpus for ex:

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge LGA 1155, Haswell and Broadwell LGA 1150. Keep in mind that only overclockable motherboards have high chance of getting update to support new gen cpu and other chipset have less chance. This didn't happen in LGA 1155 but in LGA 1150 all Z series motherboards got BIOS update to support new gen whereas not all other chipset boards got the update to support Broadwell.

8 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

Theoretically yes. I think Motherboard manufacturers will release BIOS updates for existing LGA 1151 boards to support Coffee Lake as every time when Intel released new gen cpus with same socket as previous ones existing motherboards got BIOS updates to support new gen cpus and newly released motherboards support both new and previous gen cpus for ex:

Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge LGA 1155, Haswell and Broadwell LGA 1150. Keep in mind that only overclockable motherboards have high chance of getting update to support new gen cpu and other chipset have less chance. This didn't happen in LGA 1155 but in LGA 1150 all Z series motherboards got BIOS update to support new gen whereas not all other chipset boards got the update to support Broadwell.

I would like a laptop eurocom tornado f5 with a cpu intel i7-7700. Do you think that an i7-8700 could be also compatible in that? Do you know what is tdp of coffeelake?

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

I would like a laptop eurocom tornado f5 with a cpu intel i7-7700. Do you think that an i7-8700 could be also compatible in that? Do you know what is tdp of coffeelake?

laptop manufacturers will not provide BIOS updates for support of new gen cpus only desktop motherboard manufacturers do.

3 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

laptop manufacturers will not provide BIOS updates for support of new gen cpus only desktop motherboard manufacturers do.

For tornado f5 you can choice skylake or also kabylake

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

For tornado f5 you can choice skylake or also kabylake

If that manufacturer uploads BIOS updates online then you may have a chance but not sure so it might be a risk.

5 minutes ago, M.A.P said:

If that manufacturer uploads BIOS updates online then you may have a chance but not sure so it might be a risk.

Thanks for your time! This topic is very helpful for me :)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

Thanks for your time! This topic is very helpful for me :)

Your welcome.

Well more it sounds like I was right to await coffee lake.  it'll be the latest and likely give me the best performance.

If streaming I would definitely consider ryzen.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

@sazrocks any streaming is nothing super serious just historically I:ve had lag of like 10 or so seconds on it via xsplit and for faster games choppier performance. Figure some of it is my net [due to location I am typically averaging 10 to 12mbps cause not directly next to the router my roommates are. They get 150 to 200] So I defiantly will be looking at options to ensure I can stream while playing.

• 3 months later...

hey guys this is kartik 

i have a problem today after a month of researching about cpu s i got my final decision of i5 7500 with 16 gb dominater and a gt 730 gddr5 (i had one in my pentium rig)i am getting it(i5 6500 + gigabyte ga-b250m-d3h+16 gb corsair dominater ) or 30000 inr(462.463 usd$) and while making the final choice and some comparing it with rysen(

rysen sometimes won but i am not a amd guy) so i saw a vidio of jaytwocent and heard about the cofeelake so my needs and a rig for programming and rendering and little gaming that wont be a trash in atleast 5 years so should i wait for cofeelake (rates of kabylake and it aswell raise due to GST in india)so what do u guys say????

all answers appretiated

If you are doing anything OTHER than just playing games, I suggest you get Ryzen.

A. It's upgrade-able in the future to "Zen 2" and "Zen 3" so if you need H.265 encoding in the future, you'll get it around the same time as Coffee Lake's release, and Ryzen chips can easily be sold now, I'm sure you can sell it later.
B. It's got the cores to allow massive amounts of multi-tasking, just get the R5 1600, and overclock it to 3.8ghz on the stock cooler, and you now have a i7-5820k in terms of performance.
C. Ryzen performs admirably in games, and better than the i7-7700k if you are streaming them at the same time, for the most part.
D. Ryzen is cheaper than an i7, and it will cost you 400$ or less to do the upgrade if you don't have DDR4 just sitting around

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular