Recovering Data from Flash Drive?

Ajido

I had a flash drive plugged into a PC at school, I forgot to unplug it before restarting the PC, and after booting back up, it detects the drive, shows that space is used up but shows no files. Are the files recoverable? I tried using the Windows error checking tool but that yielding nothing. The drive works, I was able to put a small file onto it and can use the little bit of space that's left, but I'm more interested in the files that were on it originally.

you shouldn't need to unplug when restarting o.O, what has happened is super weird.

7 minutes ago, Ajido said:

I had a flash drive plugged into a PC at school, I forgot to unplug it before restarting the PC, and after booting back up, it detects the drive, shows that space is used up but shows no files. Are the files recoverable? I tried using the Windows error checking tool but that yielding nothing. The drive works, I was able to put a small file onto it and can use the little bit of space that's left, but I'm more interested in the files that were on it originally.

rip

My native language is C++

Just now, tt2468 said:

rip

The data wasn't super important so I'm not that upset, I'm more curious if I did something wrong, maybe it wasn't a great flash drive or whatever. I just don't want it to happen again.

you should not have written a file to it. The files are still there provided you have not written over the data. What you want to look into is recovering the partition

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

you should not have written a file to it. The files are still there provided you have not written over the data. What you want to look into is recovering the partition

I did some googling and saw something from EaseUS about recovering data, the trial scanned the USB and showed my files but the trial didn't let me recover them. Are there any free tools that do that?

2 hours ago, Ajido said:

I did some googling and saw something from EaseUS about recovering data, the trial scanned the USB and showed my files but the trial didn't let me recover them. Are there any free tools that do that?

Maybe Recuva from Piriform? (The same people who make ccleaner)

Wonder what could've caused this though. Does the school PC have something like Deepfreeze installed? (As in, when it reboots, the OS is refreshed to a prior state to undo any modification done to it? This was common practice when I was in school)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro